Range Rovers Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Fatness: 2007 L322 HSE, Pirat 2004 VW .:R32
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
HI all,
2007 L322 HSE, 235,xxx miles. Love it. Owned for 3 years.

Back story: Every morning for quite a while now I come out to my truck and it's nose is noticeably low. Get in, start 'er up and it rights itself. Ace. Not worried.

Driving home on the highway one night, I received the 'bing bong' of death (audible warning) said 'suspension fault' max speed 30mph. Truck felt like it was buffeted by wind for a minute then the bing bong happened. I made it home.
Codes read:
U0401-94 (2C) Invalid data received from engine control module/powertrain control module - component failure- unexpected operation
U0402-94 (2C) Invalid data received from transmission control module - component failure - unexpected operation
U0416-94 (2C) Invalid data received from vehicle dynamics control module - component failure. unexpected operation.
U0403-94 (2C) Invalid data received from transfer case control module - component failure, unexpected operation.
0x6F Rear passenger door window up relay: short to ground
C1A07-62 (2E) Cross articulation - algorithms based failure - signal compare failure

Note: it's only pulled this trick once, so far. I'm waiting for it to do it again....

It's newest trick happens at a stoplight or while idling for a bit.. the nose will start to raise way up, sometimes only the passenger side, so it sits wonky, then it'll right itself. ??????
I've started have the display screen show the ride height. sometimes it looks level and isn't, sometimes it raises the little red squares and it thinks one corner is higher when it's not.
Font Display device Gas Machine Electronic device

It hasn't thrown any codes since that one night for this kind of stuff.
I think it may have been a fluke or foresight into what's to come... I'm fearful.

If anyone has a good place to start, I'm all ears.
Suspect the height sensor is either bad, (both in the front) or signal is being interpreted poorly.
Can you clean the height sensors? Do they fail often? Possible it's the EAS control module?
Need to read up on how to re-set ride heights through IDTool II BT.
Any info welcome.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
That's the thing about EAS, anything out of the ordinary tends to get worse. You probably have a leak in the front air bags and its been compensating for awhile. Now its leaking more or the compressor has worn from over-use and can no longer keep up, leading to those codes. What's the age of your front bags? I would think you are at least on your second set by now. I would start by looking and listening for air leaks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's the thing about EAS, anything out of the ordinary tends to get worse. You probably have a leak in the front air bags and its been compensating for awhile. Now its leaking more or the compressor has worn from over-use and can no longer keep up, leading to those codes. What's the age of your front bags? I would think you are at least on your second set by now. I would start by looking and listening for air leaks.
Front driver's side was replaced in the last 12-18 months. Other one was done just before acquisition 3 years ago. I was wondering if it's trying to self-level overnight but in receiving bad signals from one or both front heigh sensors, drops down?

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I'm still learning about the L322 system. But height sensors either read correctly or don't, they don't work part of the time then temporarily fail. The unexpected operation message usually indicates that it attempted to do something (like lift a corner) but then it didn't get the expected reaction (the height sensor showing the higher corner). ECU's and sensors really don't fail often, that's why I say start with air leaks.

·
Registered
2007 Range Rover 4.2 SC V8
182 Posts
I've had similar issues with real problems and without. What I mean is sometimes I have been able to just clear the faults and life went back to normal. As other have suggested I'd be looking for a leak either in the bags or distribution system(blocks and tubes). This is because of the readings and adjustments your vehicle is doing. The height sensors simply work on resistance based on the arm articulation. A resistance value is stored in the EAS to a set height value and the EAS maintains it with air. If the sensor was faulty you would expect a constant reading or the height not being in sync with the other corners.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've had similar issues with real problems and without. What I mean is sometimes I have been able to just clear the faults and life went back to normal. As other have suggested I'd be looking for a leak either in the bags or distribution system(blocks and tubes). This is because of the readings and adjustments your vehicle is doing. The height sensors simply work on resistance based on the arm articulation. A resistance value is stored in the EAS to a set height value and the EAS maintains it with air. If the sensor was faulty you would expect a constant reading or the height not being in sync with the other corners.
That's the thing... I can see a constant reading from the display while I watch the passenger corner rise.... or the whole thing will be level and the display thinks something completely different. Yay cars.

·
Registered
182 Posts
It could be a valve in the valve block intermittently sticking, specifically the exhaust. Sometimes it works other time it doesn't but it's always passing enough to cause the front to sag. Any recent EAS work? A shop left mine in calibration mode... If not, you would have burned the pump out over your ownership. Driving in cal. Mode will cause the compressor to constantly run

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Update: replaced both front height sensors (old ones were super crunchy!) and recalibrated with Gap IDTool using the guided calibration (wicked easy). 1000 miles later, problem hasn't reappeared. Truck still sinks overnight a bit, so now chasing that problem/leak.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Update: replaced both front height sensors (old ones were super crunchy!) and recalibrated with Gap IDTool using the guided calibration (wicked easy). 1000 miles later, problem hasn't reappeared. Truck still sinks overnight a bit, so now chasing that problem/leak.
Sinks in one corner or symmetrically tilting toward front or rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sinks in one corner or symmetrically tilting toward front or rear?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Symmetrically sinks in the front overnight. .5-2", it varies depending on how long it's been parked.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I would look at the exhaust solenoid on the front valve block (middle one) easy enough to test just fill the suspension and disconnect the middle air line and put some soapy water on your finger and plug it. Could just be plugged up with crud

1 - 13 of 13 Posts