RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok well i just got new air springs put on and everything was riding smooth as it should then 2 days ago all the sudden it says EAS fault! and all 4 lights come on and it wont switch up or down and stuck in standard ride height......but after a while it started working fine again, then Faulted AGAIN then back to normal??? WTF if going on? im new to all this EAS and have searched for the past 2 days can sum1 help me out?
 

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
Joined
·
4,509 Posts
either there's a leak somewhere causing the compressor to run overtime, or the compressor is worn out (from the leaky springs) and can't keep up. the fault coming/going may be the thermal switch tripping/resetting.


year/milage?


start with a compressor rebuild and leak-test on the block, may need a block rebuild as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2000 HSE with 161k.....would there be a way to hook up an aftermarket compressor and tank like on a mini truck but with the stock bags and override the stock switch?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
DoubleRon2Deuces said:
2000 HSE with 161k.....would there be a way to hook up an aftermarket compressor and tank like on a mini truck but with the stock bags and override the stock switch?
Yes .look on the main site under problems,fixes and upgrades for the manual system(MARS)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
442 Posts
G'day mate, once you have done that even if all is good ,hook up EAS calabrate look for faults , recalibrate system levels.
To do live stream need rovacom ,textbook or faultmate ,to see if any of your sensors are dickie. This will show as if one or any are suss it will flicker its value from one to another and put out everything.
Can pull apart clean with contact cleaner,elrctronic cleaner, re-silicone backing blate and alsocan swap around front ones.
90% of height sensor units pulled apart have moisture in them( YES) river crossings/ going threw puddles, pays to replace ,service units ,water proof shafts before any of that weekend fun stuff :think:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Well I just had an EAS Fault.. but it was a hard fault....

My front right air suspension bag was out.. so i replaced then.. i drove for a few days .. then the eas hard fault showed up and it was a bumpy ride.. i took it to a shop and they said that my height sensor was out and it was best to convert to coil springs to save you money in the future with the air bags usually going out about 60,000 miles.. so it cost me 1250 to convert.. but it will save me money in the long run and the ride is smooth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
966 Posts
jflo said:
Well I just had an EAS Fault.. but it was a hard fault....

My front right air suspension bag was out.. so i replaced then.. i drove for a few days .. then the eas hard fault showed up and it was a bumpy ride.. i took it to a shop and they said that my height sensor was out and it was best to convert to coil springs to save you money in the future with the air bags usually going out about 60,000 miles.. so it cost me 1250 to convert.. but it will save me money in the long run and the ride is smooth.

$1250?

If there was a puke emoticon, I would insert it here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
931 Posts
jflo said:
Well I just had an EAS Fault.. but it was a hard fault....

My front right air suspension bag was out.. so i replaced then.. i drove for a few days .. then the eas hard fault showed up and it was a bumpy ride.. i took it to a shop and they said that my height sensor was out and it was best to convert to coil springs to save you money in the future with the air bags usually going out about 60,000 miles.. so it cost me 1250 to convert.. but it will save me money in the long run and the ride is smooth.
As opposed to $100 for a new height sensor.Definitely a good saving :roll:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
269 Posts
$100 > $1250

new math

???

i would tell you how many miles my truck has (202,000) and how few bags ive replaced (umm, 0) but i cant find any wood to knock on. everything else has been replaced...and ive got two sets of extra bags just waiting for that day. On top of that, your EAS stuff probably just sold on eBay.
 

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
Joined
·
4,509 Posts
for future reference:

height sensors do NOT give hard faults. If your bags are leaking, your compressor is working overtime. Replace the bags AND rebuild the compressors. I'd put odds on jflo's fault being "air supply" and "xx sensor out of range". Rebuilding the compressor ($37 part, 1 hour labor) would've cured the sensor fault as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
im no mechanic nor do i work for a car shop and i know they got the coil conversion on ebay for $489 and i payed my mechanic $150 to put my bags on im guessing it'd be the same for the coils so ya 1250 is kinda a rip plus airbags ALWAYS ride smoother then coils thats why its on the range rover and not a jeep and some people do it custom to their cars that come with coils

anyways where can i get a rebuild kit for the compressor?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
BTW my truck still has the fault about every 45 mins of driving .....i jus cut it off for 5 minutes and restart and its gone so its not that bad...yet
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
867 Posts
shupack said:
for future reference:

height sensors do NOT give hard faults. If your bags are leaking, your compressor is working overtime. Replace the bags AND rebuild the compressors. I'd put odds on jflo's fault being "air supply" and "xx sensor out of range". Rebuilding the compressor ($37 part, 1 hour labor) would've cured the sensor fault as well.
Are you sure Dennis?

FWIW I had a corroded height sensor on my 2000 4.6 HSE, and the only reason I knew was because it went into hard fault. I was in Ohio, didn't have a place to go to, and thats what I was told.
 

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
Joined
·
4,509 Posts
I can't find the list of faults and causes now (of course), but I'm 99% that there were no sensor faults in the hard-fault list. The ECU can do geometry (trig?) to figure out where one wheel is if one sensor goes, 2 dead sensors will really confuse it and may end up in a hard fault, especially if on the same axle, but one bad sensor shouldn't.

The corrosion may have caused a ground that messed with the ECU in other ways, or the faulty sensor may have confused it enough to end up in hard-fault, but single failure mode, sensors shouldn't cause a hard fault.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top