RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Over the last few months I have been getting a random EAS fault.
The car beeps, the display shows "EAS fault" and the symbol of the car with an "up" arrow beneath it illuminates, all the lamps in the ride height indicator panel flash and eventually stay lit, and the car pumps itself up to the "high ride height".
If I turn the ignition off, bleed air out of the air bags (I have an emergency inflation kit installed with schraeder valves for each airbag) to get the car down to a more normal ride height and then switch the ignition back on the fault has usually gone and everything is back to normal.
Sometimes I have to wait a few minutes before the fault is gone, other times, as soon as I deflate the airbags and switch on, it has gone.
I have checked the connections on the unit under the left side of the dashboard as somebody suggested (on the forum) that water leaking past the pollen filters may cause a problem in that area.
Everything was fine and dry.
I have gone through every connection I could find in the EAS system and sprayed the connections with contact cleaner.

After checking everything I could find on the website using the "search" function, I think that the conclusion now is that I have a failing driver module / pack.
Do the experts on the forum agree with that conclusion?

Assuming I am going to have to get a new driver module, does anybody know where I can get one in the UK, and whereabouts on the car is it fitted (or was that the unit under the left dashboard that I checked connections on)?

My wife is going to be using the car as daily transport ( I crashed her car on Saturday afternoon :oops: , until I fix it she gets the Range Rover) so any assistance in getting this problem sorted fairly quickly will be greatly appreciated.

Regards Don

·
Registered
931 Posts
It is possible the driver module is failing.It is attached to the valve block in the EAS box in the engine compartment.
The EAS ecu however is under the Passengers seat as is the EAS timer module.Prehaps you should check these modules for any sign of corrosion first, :think: :think:

·
Registered
966 Posts
Download EASUnlock and make a cable and read your fault codes, first.

·
Registered
640 Posts
Had Almost Identical Symptoms, New drive pack cured it completely, and been as good as Gold ever since.

Nice Truck said:
(or was that the unit under the left dashboard that I checked connections on)?
I think you will find that is the ABS Ecu.

Try Island 4x4 for new drive module, OEM part and best price I could find. Super fast delivery as well.

Cheers

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
EAS fault can come about for a number of reasons, leaking valve block, worn compressor and so on, a squirty bottle with a few drops of dish washing liquid sparayed all over the valve block will aid in detecting leaks.

This also includes sparaying the very much neglected air dryer..

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi to all had exactly same problem drove me nuts, so replaced valve block and driver pack with s/h unit £ 100.00p no more problem took about 1 hour to fix, dont konw how that compaires with new driver pack but it worked for me Best regards sillyboy

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the responses.

Viperover: I checked for air leaks using soapy water, all okay. The compressor was rebuilt about a year ago and pumps the car up quickly, and the dryer (dessicator) was renewed a few weeks ago.

John W: I Checked the ECU and Timer connections this morning, no signs of damp / corrosion.

Jsmooth65: The car never seems to go into fault when it is in the driveway at home, always seems to be when I am in the city in traffic and with no chance to plug in a laptop, (I just pull over, deflate the airbags, wait for the fault to reset, and get on with my business). If it happens again when I am on holiday in a few months I may get the chance.

Col: Thanks for the information on Island 4x4, and on the ABS ECU :oops:

Sillyboy: Thanks for the input. I have a spare valve block in the garage, I will check it out to see if there is a driver pack with it.

Once again...thanks to all for the input.

Don

·
Registered
966 Posts
The fault will be stored in your ECU, though, so when you hook up EASUnlock, it will list every EAS fault thats ever been logged since it was cleared last.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Jsmooth65 said:
The fault will be stored in your ECU, though, so when you hook up EASUnlock, it will list every EAS fault thats ever been logged since it was cleared last.
Oh! didn't know that :eek:
Thanks for the information. I'll hook up the laptop at the weekend and see what I get.

Regards
Don

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
[attachment=0:2zh4aopt]CIMG2115 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:2zh4aopt][attachment=1:2zh4aopt]CIMG2114 (Medium).JPG[/attachment:2zh4aopt]

Thanks Jsmooth.
Eventually got the software installed on the laptop.
The error codes I get are:
6: RR signal incorrect
7: Vehicle has moved
0: FL signal incorrect
1: F8:2_Hidden
2: FR signal incorrect
3: F8:8_Hidden
4: RL signal incorrect
5: F8:32_Hidden
6: RR signal incorrect
7: F8:128_Hidden
0: Engine speed fault
1: Vehicle speed fault
2: Pressure signal constantly high
3: Pressure signal constantly low
4: Air supply fault
5: Air supply leak
6: Target heights incorrect
7: Vehicle has moved
0: Cannot lower FL
1: Cannot lower FR
2: Cannot lower RL
3: Cannot lower RR
4: FA:16_Hidden
5: FA:32_Hidden
6: FA:64_Hidden
7: FA:128_Hidden
0: FL valve stuck open
1: FR valve stuck open
2: RL valve stuck open
3: RR valve stuck open
6: FB:64_Hidden
7: FB:128_Hidden
0: FL valve stuck closed
1: FR valve stuck closed
2: RL valve stuck closed
3: RR valve stuck closed
4: Inlet valve stuck closed
5: Exhaust valve stuck closed
6: FC:64_Hidden
7: FC:128_Hidden

I think I have managed to upload Images of the laptop screen.

I had the whole valve block out and changed the driver pack......it made no difference.
The system "seems" to work perfectly, though the compressor does seem to cut in a lot.
The EAS fault and pumping up happens when I am driving, when the car is sitting at rest with the engine idling, or when I turn on the ignition.
There seems no rhyme nor reason.
Any help greatly appreciated.

Don

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Further information from the EAS unlock software.
After my previous post, I was reading further and noted that instructions said to put the ignition switch to the 2nd position, which I had not done originally.
I reconnected and got more readings.
Screenshots are as follows:

The "Heights screen" was out of focus, but the values were:
FL 119 FR 73
RL 90 RR 123

Is that okay?

It would appear that the fault codes were cleared after my 1st reading.

I don't know what any of these values signify.
I am going to try and search for the information, but in the meantime any assistance would be gratefully received.

Don

Attachments

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
those numbers are way off, either your height sensors are going bad, or they're bent out of alignment. they should be close all around for a given height, within 5-10 bits is what I'm used to seeing after a calibration.

The numbers are just bits, the sensors are variable resistors and the ECU assigns a bit # based on the resistance it sees from the sensor. So either the resistance at a given height has changed (bad sensor) or the position has changed (physical damage = bad sensor). A calibration may cure that, may not.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Shupack.

I'll try a calibration if I can figure out what to do.

There is pdf readme file with the EAS Unlock software that describes a calibration procedure, is that a good starting point or is there a source of further information?
I had new airbags installed a few years ago, I do not think a calibration was done then, should it have been?

Thanks for the advice.

Don

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Signal incorrect is usually a duff height sensor, you can try and change them around ie: left to right on the rear but it can still give trouble.

If the incorrect fault then reads LR signal incorrect then replacing height sensor is the best option but best to replace in pairs

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Update:
After getting the EAS Unlock software operating, I played around with the settings.
I tied to set the heights so that the standard height was 790mm as that was what I understand it to be.
However the access height settings then went out of range.
After a lot of playing about I have the standard height set at about 820mm and the other heights differing by the approximate amount mentioned in the handbook.
It went into EAS Fault a couple of times, and also went into the "hard fault" "Max speed 35mph" and sinking down onto the bumpstops.
The consistent fault identified was "RR signal incorrect".
I ordered 2 x new height sensors for the rear, however they are out of stock and will take a few days to come in, so in the meantime I cleaned the sensor connections and sprayed the linkages with lubricant.
So far....no fault messages.
However a new problem has appeared.
The Front left sinks down when parked overnight.
I assume I have a small leak at the valve block as I disturbed all the hose fitting when I swapped out the driver pack.
There is not a lot of hose left that would allow me to trim off 5mm and re-insert into the collet.
I am told that the pneaumatic hose is no longer available from Range Rover, so does anyone know where I can source some in the UK?
I will also need some in line connectors so I can join the new bits onto the old.

The Easter holiday is almost over, so I have no idea when I will get the time to fit the new sensors and re calibrate.
In the meantime, the laptop and connection cable go in the car with me every time I go off Island.

Arent these beasts fun! `)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi NiceTruck,
I'm based on Skye so over the same side of the country as you!!

P38spares.co.uk carries replacement airline and fittings - it's also possible that davidson and mcmillan in Inverness might also have some airline.

Hope that helps some

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Symoonbeam, that is extremely helpful.
I'l check the website.

Don `)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update:
Rear height sensors replaced this afternoon (had to hacksaw the mounting bolts off).
New sections of airline installed between the valve block assembly and the "T" pieces that connect the "Emergency Inflation Valves" into the system.
Re inflated and checked every connection with soapy water....one slight leak in the emergency inflation valve core for the Left Hand Front air bag.
Tightened the core with a valve tool and no more leaks.....anywhere! (That was possibly the original cause of the LHF sinking to the stops overnight :oops: , however I now have new hose tails, no burs and no leaks).
I checked everything with the EAS Unlock software and made a few adjustments as the right hand side seemed to always be about 15mm higher than the left.
Still not perfect, but very close, all the heights are within 10mm of each other, so I'm leaving it like that for now.
I will probably have a go at getting all the heights the same in a week or two when I have some spare time.
I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will now be the end of the EAS Fault messages. The software shows no faults, but I'll keep taking the laptop with me for a while yet.

Thanks to everybody for advice and information

Don

1 - 18 of 18 Posts