RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
335 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

I'd like to confirm that what I hear after the engine/ignition is turned off on my RR (Vogue 4.6 MY2000) is normal.

In the first audio file the exhaust valve(?) opens 15 times and in the second audio file the exhaust valve(?) opens 10 times. I am assuming it is the exhaust valve as I hear the air exhausting (the silencer has been temporarily removed). I cannot be sure if the some or all of the valves to the airbags are activating at the same time, however when the suspension was at normal level the left front corner did drop slightly as the air was exhausted.

EAS adjusting after engine stopped.jpg

The RR was at access level for both recordings, so in essence there is no need to lower the suspension. I am making an assumption that, as the exhaust air is supposed to be used to dry the silica gel in the dryer, that this air exhaust is normal.

I know that the clicking of the solenoids has been there for as long as I can remember, but I have not previously considered the count or if it is/was normal. The clicking is usually subdued as the bonnet/hood is closed of course.

I have reconditioned the valve block, quite some time ago now, but due to other EAS problems and an alternate heavy workload, I've been operating the EAS manually (via Schrader valves and my workshop compressor) since the reconditioning. I tried to upload the audio files for your listening convenience, but the mp3 format is not allowed, so they are in the attached zip file.

Thank you in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
it is one of the well documented caveats of the early rover EAS "constant adjustment and waste or air resources. there are numerous reasons for this, you could renew every single component and your issue would not resolve.
basically the culprit is the software in the controller ecu.
those concerns are listed in the rave, and other official and unofficial documents, such as SID, falcon works, paulp38, etc.

hypothetically you replace the eas ecu with a different brand and all related components, now you have the air spring which inherent to their designs will always leak, now you're back to where you started. its a land rover...
do your research, visit the home pages and good luck.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like the time delay relay letting the system readjust level after shutdown. Replacing the relay with one of the yellow heater type relays defeats the after stop leveling while allowing normal running operation. On LHD it is between the plastic skirt and the seat rail under the left hand seat.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
333 Posts
Interesting fact about the timer delay. I knew you could replace it with a normal relay for testing purposes but I didn't know you could leave it installed full time. Are there any drawback of doing this?

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,756 Posts
The only thing the timer relay is required for is diagnostics and self leveling while parked. Standard relay give you full operation while the ignition is on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts