RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Does anyone know if the EAS or perhaps nanocom has a set of default setting values (bit values) for the EAS height sensors?

The reason I ask is something weird has happened with mine (probably caused by me inadvertently!)

Yesterday I took photos (from nanocom) of the stored setting values for the access, motorway and standard heights (unfortunately not the high setting) in preparation for calibrating the system.

Today when I opened the settings they are different to what I recorded yesterday without me knowingly changing them, and they appear to be some kind of default settings because it has the same values across each axel as below....

FrL FrR RrL RrR
High 148148129129
Standard123123109109
Motorway1071079797
Access 80807575

I can put the values back to the initial settings with exception of the high values, and as I planned to calibrate it anyway its not the end of the world, I'm just confused where these settings "appeared" from.

Any insight much appreciated,

Cheers

Olly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Didn't manage to find it when searching the first time but I see from knowledgeable member shupack's 2009 post if you enter something 'wacky' as a set value the EAS will default to factory settings, which must be what I have manged to do without meaning to....

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
There are no default settings. Every sensor reads differently. No there is nothing that will set some to default as there aren;t any. If you enter something out of range you simply get an error message.

Matching numbers like you have input would never happen in the real world. If you flash back to your original values you will most likely be close. You can make minor adjustments to level things out in standard height. If you are not using blocks simply measure from wheel center up to fender edge. Blocks are in no way required. From there you have a bit of play. If you want lower motorway height, like I set many people's rigs, subtract about 20 from the standard value found at each corner. Access you really don't need to mess with. Wading mode you have a bit of play as well to raise it a bit... but not too far as there is "extended" mode above that which is automatic if you get high centered.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well perhaps there are some differences in early / late models, or US vs ROW spec, I don't know, but mine (UK spec 1998) will definitely revert to a set of basic / default values if you program in set points that don't fit the algorithm as per shupack's post in thread below.

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/7-range-rover-mark-ii-p38/25368-stock-eas-height-values.html

For example if you set the standard height set points to the same as the access set points, and then clear the fault codes that this will throw, all the set points for each height will automatically populate with the default / initial factory settings I first posted, I've tried this a few times just to see what happens and it always does this.

I don't know if this is a function of nanocom (I doubt it) or the EAS ecu, but I guessing its the EAS.

Obviously these default settings aren't perfect and you still need to calibrate if you want the car to sit level at the various heights, but they would be a good starting point for someone with no base line to work from, if for example you were re-instating EAS on one that has been coiled...

I have to say that these default settings actually have my truck almost level left / right but sitting a bit low at the back, but that is obviously just luck and the fact the sensors must read pretty close in terms of values.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,771 Posts
With all the P38s I have worked on over the years I have never seen defaults nor have I seen settings change themselves to a value within a height range. For years I have seen folks playing around with settings and not save their original settings or even jot them down. When someone sets their values out of range they don't revert back, they log an error. You also have the situations where you flip a sensor when you swap sides. You are then reading from the opposite side of the sweep so your values when calibrated will be much different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be interesting to know if this happens on other trucks, for anyone that tries this you may have to repeat the process of clearing the faults / re-reading and clearing again 2 or 3 times before it reverts to the default values.

Also would be interesting to know if this is a peculiarity of the nanocom? perhaps the 'auto populating' of the set points doesn't happen if you are using a different platform for access..

When you say that if you swap a sensor from one side to the other the values are much different, is this the same for both the early and late type sensors?

I see that up to VIN VA346794 the sensors are 'handed' but the sensors for later cars (post '97?) will fit either side, (RAVE also mentions two sensor versions) presumably this is related to the version of EAS software the truck is running rather than the sensors themselves?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts