RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been struggling to sort out a recurring HDC and Transmission Fault on my RR.

I want to replace the compressor to see if that will fix the issue, can anyone give me a simple set of instructions as to how to go about removing the old unit and re-fitting a brand new one that I have bought?

(I know it is a bit of a drastic step to replace the compressor without knowing that it is the cause of the fault but I am not happy with the compressor anyway as it makes a bit of a funny noise on occasions when operating. I can hear it quite well as due to my LPG install it is no longer in the turtle shell).

Thanks

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
291 Posts
It is very easy.
Just unplug it and unscrew.
The plugs are male female so you cannot connect wrong things.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've got a compressor on order also... and I have lpg so suffer a slightly noisey pump. With the new compressor I'm going to leave it in it's quiet casing sticking out of the side cubby hole. Then make a carpeted box to cover it. Should make it as quiet as a mouse again.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
:think: Odd thought here, but what would the suspension compressor have to do with a tranny error? Am I missing something really obvious in the thought process?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
rrtoadhall said:
:think: Odd thought here, but what would the suspension compressor have to do with a tranny error? Am I missing something really obvious in the thought process?
My first thought when I read this thread the other day but thought better of saying so :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I changed the compressor last night and (touch wood) I have not had a single warning light come on today - I've done about 100 miles today over the course of 6 different journeys, which would usually result in me getting either the HDC or the Transmisson Fault (or both) warning lights at least once if not twice. I have no idea what was (I hope this will remain a was!) causing my lights to come on but I thought I'd give the compressor a go. I would say that today is probably the only day in the last few weeks that I have had a whole day without a fault flashing up.

I am slightly concerned that I do actually have a transmission fault though because on two seperate occasions in about the last 4 weeks the following has occurred -

After driving along the motorway at speeds of 80 odd, I have slowed for a traffic jam, I have then noticed the engine to feel almost like it is low range, i.e. when I press the accelarator the engine revs but I don't move forward very quickly (felt a bit like I was trying to drive with the handbrake fully on). The engine also revved at 1000 revs on tickover as opposed to the usual 500 revs. I stopped and re-started and everything has been fine since. I didn't get any warning lights. I didn't think much of it the first time but now that it has occurred again I am getting a bit worried!

The car is booked in to LR this week so maybe they will be able to give me more info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts