RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just refurbished the EAS compressor - new cylinder and all the seals & filters. All went well and when re-installed it works well recharging the reservoir tank in an impressive 4 minutes or so. Great except that for the final 10 to 20 seconds before it cuts off it vibrates like mad with attendant noise. It seems to coincide with the system pressure getting to a level that induces the vibration. Before this sets in the compressor behaves beautifully and has little vibration and is pretty **** quiet.

Is this normal and, if not, is there a cure or are the bearings in the compressor shot or some such thing and a new compressor is required?

·
Super Moderator
2,084 Posts
It does sound like the bearings are shot or similar and it is vibrating when under heavy load. I was testing an EAS compressor yesterday on a bench supply, running with no restriction on the output it draws 5A but if I plug the output, it climbed to almost 15A. Making it work that hard is definitely going to show up any weakness anywhere.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard. I have never had a compressor fill the reservoir so quickly so perhaps the new piston seal is 'too good' if there is such a thing! Perhaps when it 'wears in' it might quieten down and take the usual 7 or so minutes to replenish the tank - either that or the bearings will really go AWOL and all hell will break loose!

I was wondering whether these compressors can be rebuilt with new bearings and if anyone has ever done it?

Also, there are a number of cheaper (non Dunlop) new compressors available as direct (or so they claim) plug and play replacements - anyone any feedback on these - I'm thinking of getting one as a 'hot' spare just in case the original completely expires!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
485 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have taken the compressor apart again and there are signs that the counter weight has been rubbing on the casing although I cannot confirm this on the bench using a screwdriver as a pry bar but I do suspect the bearings are giving up the ghost!

Operation has become quieter with a reduced level of manic vibration and for a shorter period of time before the compressor shuts off although the time to recharge the reservoir is increasing. It seems the system is ‘running in’ but I am still concerned as to the state of the bearings. The counter weight is located directly on the motor shaft so for the counter weight to contact the casing it will must be the motor shaft bearing/bush that is wearing. I cannot find any information on rebuilding the motor in the compressor.

I continued investigating the cheaper new compressors but they are all of Chinese manufacture so without any recommendations I think I’ll give them a miss.

That leaves new OEM or reconditioned compressor. I have gone for a half price reconditioned compressor from what seems a reliable UK source - time will tell if that is a sensible decision or not!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts