RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my compressor motor brush very soon.

Does any one know the size, material, and compound softness?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Have you asked Shupack if Rover Renovation s carries them as a part?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm overhauling my valve block, so I've recently bought Rover Renovation's valve block overhaul kit and compressor pump PTFE ring. However, on their online catalog, compressor motor brush wasn't listed. If they had them, I would have purchased them at the same time, but no luck.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

Brush measurements:

7.5 mm wide, 6.3 mm high and maximum around 15 mm long.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

It is not so easy to re-assemble the motor after brush replacement. Normally working from the rear and leaving the compressor end asembled, you have to move the springs that push the carbon brushes against the collector out and hook them behind the brush guides at the bearing bush side.
Now move the brushes just inside the guides and move the rear part of the motor over the rotor and make sure the shaft engages in the bearing bush. Do nearly close the assembly and then with a needle unhook the springs so that the put pressure on the brushes close the motor and fit the two bolts. Make sure you have the wire end at the right side so that the sticker on the motor can be read when you hold the compressor upside down. Normally you have to restart 2 or 3 times as the springs sometimes pop back in place and the rear bearing bush can be hard to line up.

When having the assembly appart check the bearing bush. It is should be able to rotate freely but it should be tight in the fittings.

Good luck

Jos

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5,424 Posts
Jos Geuze said:
Normally you have to restart 2 or 3 times as the springs sometimes pop back in place and the rear bearing bush can be hard to line up.
Yes, you are certainly right about that, Jos! Been there, done that. :(

`)

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I don't carry them, as I've not found a good source for them. If anyone knows of one you'll get your set free, I'll buy a box and stock them.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, Shupack, how's it going.

I would say finding a source for the motor brush was the hardest part of the job. Anyway, I did find a source locally here in SoCal.

If you like, I can send you a pair to test them out, as there was a minimum order and I had to buy a whole bunch of them.

Regarding the motor brush I've found, I had to size them a little with a file, and the compound seems to be a bit softer, but no deal breakers.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's info on the brush source I used:

Eurton Electric Co., Inc.
9920 Painter Avenue
Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670
(562)946-4477

Part # I ordered: 08-9539

Their minimum order $25

Other tidbits:
-They do motor rewinds as well, so maybe a good resource for getting armature rebuilds for EAS and ABS pump engine.
-They also stock replacement commutators

From the looks of it, they do a lots of electric work for local auto shops and such. It's a brick and mortar shop w/ fairly extensive stock of various electric motor components.

On top of it, a very friendly bunch. I think I spoke to a guy named Rick, but not too sure.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before anybody buys the brushes, I wanted to say that it should be put on hold for a moment.

I installed the brushes today, but the motor doesn't run at full capacity. I'm not sure whether this is due to the smaller gage wire that the new motor brush comes with, or the motor brush compound itself.

Anyway, I'll have to do some tinkering to figure out what needs to be done to rectify the situation.

Regards,

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
was going to say, I'll take the rest of them to distribute (and use in rebuilds). it could be the new ones just need to bed in. but how small is the wire? that could be an issue.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the wire is definitely smaller, at best I think it's like 18 or 20 gage. Also, you're probably right about getting the brush seated properly. I had to cut down the length of the brush, and as a result, the brush lost the contour to hug the commutator.

I'll probably look into this further once I'm back from my next business trip. Probably pay the electric shop a visit, and ask for pointers.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

It is normal practice to grind the new brushes into the contour of the collector by using sandpaper wrapped over the collector and using the brush-holder to move it partly around the collector until it has the right shape. Alternatively make a dummy piece from wood or plastic and loctite sandpaper to it.

Regards

Jos

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another site I've found is here:

www.helwigcarbon.com

They have a super extensive product catalog. To boot, they even carry brush springs!

helwig carbon carries both copper graphite and silver graphite, in addition to the standard carbon. From the looks of the OEM brush, I'm guessing it's copper graphite.

I bet if you send a spare brush to these guys, they can probably match up the specs.

I hope you have success in finding the right brush.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Thanks! That looks to be a more professional setup than the one I found, if the have the right ones, I'll send you a set.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I've sent Helwig a pair as a sample, they sent them back with paperwork, a sample set should be following soon! fingers crossed!.

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll have my fingers crossed, too! I hope Helwig comes back w/ a good pair of brushes.

Once you have the brushes covered, only thing you have to cover w/ regards to compressor rebuild would be an armature/commutator rebuild kit.

BTW, good luck w/ your move to NYC. I've been there couple of times. Kinda hot and humid during the summer time, but it sure is a nice city to visit for a nice dinner out.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
TheoR said:
I'll have my fingers crossed, too! I hope Helwig comes back w/ a good pair of brushes.
and they have!

5 sets available for testing, free, first-come first served. I ask in return photos of the install, a write-up if you feel like it, and a couple weeks of intentionally abusing your compressor, then open the end-bell and see how they look.

Site shows retail, but when you add to cart it'll show 0.00. After the 5 are gone it won't allow more orders, click "email me when back instock" and you'll be notified when I've accepted the results and made them available.

Free 1'st class shipping also, if you want them quicker I'll ask you to pay for that (select 1st class shipping, then for pmt method select "cash" to allow the order to be placed, I'll handle the rest)
Range Rover Air Compressor Brushes, ANR3731

1 - 20 of 33 Posts