RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some time ago I opened my P38 EAS compressor to change the piston seal.
I noticed that the commutator was badly worn, while the brushes were hardly worn at all.
I didn't expect it to last very long, so I obtained a second used unit.

Now I discover that it has the same symptoms. The brushes are apparently very hard, consisting mostly of bronze and little carbon.

Other stories in the network informs that this is a Thomas Pumps 315 model. It actually looks more like a 327 model.

Does anyone have any experience about this ?
Is there a replacement armature (rotor) available in the marketplace ?
Are these the original brushes, or am I looking at the footprint of a particular overhauler ?

Both compressors were reportedly bought as new.
[attachment=2:38yk3j85]P3160008-1.gif[/attachment:38yk3j85][attachment=1:38yk3j85]P3160011-1.gif[/attachment:38yk3j85][attachment=0:38yk3j85]P3160012-1.gif[/attachment:38yk3j85]

Attachments

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,851 Posts
Hi

The NDE bearing bush can be loose in the armature. The possible moving around of the rear end of the rotor causes the wear patern shown in the photo. If the rear is tight the wear will be normal.

Regards

Jos

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
I've not found a replacement armature, off the shelf, but any shop that rebuilds starters/alternators can rebuild that.

Those brushes look original, and yes, that looks like a loose bearing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, Jos and shupack. Very good advices. I didn't think of the end bearing.
Looking at it now, there is the tiniest play - but it is noticable.
I will have to remove the brush holder board to investigate further. It looks like a
rounded bushing in an eyeball socket,enabling a small articulation.
You also sound like it is a straight forward job to repair the commutator. I'll check that out
with local shops next week. It may not be cost effective, so I will probably still be looking for
a spare armature with less wear.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts