RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange question. I live in Dallas TX and for us it is very cold right now. High in the low 30's, low's in the teens. I have 2002 P38 with approx. 93K miles. The EAS has always seemed to work fine. When I bought it, I replaced the airbags with Arnotts. When it sits overnight it might settle a fraction of an inch, but always pops right up when I start it. However when it is very cold one of two things have happened. One time it was on the bump stops on the left side but the right side was fine. This morning the left side was on the bump stops and the right side was low, but not full down. It also takes a long time to come up to ride height when it is cold.

Is there something about the cold that would cause this? It would seem that I have a leak somewhere, however I have not been able to locate it as of yet. It just seems strange that the behavior would be that much different between cold and warm temperatures.

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions. I have read multiple posts on EAS and have not found anything related to this.

David

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
Not odd at all. ORings shrink, compressor seal is not as tight... etc. Many owners have reported minor issues below freezing. If you have a leak then your compressor is already weak from being overworked. First order is to find the leak then work your way backward through a ORing job in your valve block then a Compressor seal rebuild. This will give you another 90+K miles out of the main components with only the bags to keep an eye on.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That makes sense, although I didn't think that they would shrink that much. Obviously they do. Since the left side is one that is lower would that indicate that the leak is on that side? I have used soapy water to try and find it with out any luck. Is there any trick to the process or just keep going over it until you find it? Appreciate the insight. Since I am going thru all of this, does it make sense to go ahead and replace the compressor just to be safe?

Thanks again!

David

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
The bags must be checked in EACH height setting.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One other question regarding cold weather. Why would it only leak some times in cold weather? The last couple of days it has been even colder than when I first noticed this and I come out in the morning (by the way the RR is in the garage) and it has not gone down at all. Just curious as to what might be causing this. It has been way to cold to get out and try and find a leak or do anything that involves going outside.

Thanks!

David

·
Administrator
27,801 Posts
As noted above and in other threads the bags must be checked in all settings. If you have a leak at the highway setting the cracks may be sealing at normal height. If you are even a hair off in height or the actual crack that is leaking is slightly exposed it will lower.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you! Once it warms up a bit I will get out and start trying to find the leak.

Thanks again, appreciate the quick response and insight.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
883 Posts
Mine was dropping to the bump stops in the cold weather (it's been in the single digits, and below zero in the mornings and nights here).

I pulled it into the garage yesterday, and figured out it was the two fronts, at the valve block, that were leaking. Pulled the O rings out, greased them, cut the lines so it was a fresh start, and they're now fine. Nothing likes this cold weather.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the information. You are correct that nothing likes cold weather. Once it warms up I will track down the leak(s), probably replace the compressor just to be safe and do the O rings.

Appreciate all the information and advice! Now just need to get some warm weather and spend the time sorting things out.

David

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks for the information. You are correct that nothing likes cold weather. Once it warms up I will track down the leak(s), probably replace the compressor just to be safe and do the O rings.

Appreciate all the information and advice! Now just need to get some warm weather and spend the time sorting things out.

David
We just got a new jet style kerosene heater. I've been working on my Rover in the toasty warmth of my garage. Just changed my steering damper out.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am jealous. My garage is not totally enclosed so putting in a heater doesn't do much good. However, being in Dallas, the temperature will probably be back in the 70's or 80's before long.

Did the steering damper help out in your shudder? I have been following your thread on that as well.

Thanks for all your input and comments. Enjoy reading your posts.

David

·
Premium Member
1,113 Posts
If you can, leave a door adjar on your vehicle overnight. This will immobilize the system and may help narrow down which part is leaking.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pulling the timer relay does the same thign without keeping your BeCM awake all night thus draining your battery.
Thanks for that advice. Not sure where the timer relay is but I have the manual so I can find it. As always appreciate the help and wisdom from everyone. It is great help, especially to folks like myself who are mechanically inclined and willing to try just about anything, but don't have the experience that you and others have. It is a great confidence booster.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season.

Cheers,

David

·
Registered
883 Posts
Thanks for that advice. Not sure where the timer relay is but I have the manual so I can find it. As always appreciate the help and wisdom from everyone. It is great help, especially to folks like myself who are mechanically inclined and willing to try just about anything, but don't have the experience that you and others have. It is a great confidence booster.

Hope everyone has a great holiday season.

Cheers,

David
It's right under the DRIVER seat.

Sorry I said Passenger at first.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts