RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Replaced al 4 bellows about 2 years ago, reusing original pistons - 12 months later the front started going down.
Because the bellows were new suspected the valve block, after my 3rd re-build found that the front right airbag is leaking at top where it meets the cylinder.

Is this common?
Is there a cure for it?

If not, do Arnotts Genii on the front mix with bellows on the back?
I see Arnott's are selling them on Ebay at quite a discount - $239 a pair.

Thanks

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Do unto the other side as you do on one side (daft, nevermind) yeah you can do just the fronts but per axle.
As for the leak its possible that the piston may just need a good clean up or re seating

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
viperover said:
Do unto the other side as you do on one side (daft, nevermind) yeah you can do just the fronts but per axle.
As for the leak its possible that the piston may just need a good clean up or re seating
Any attempt at humour is greatly appreciated when it comes to rovers.

Does one have to remove the whole assembly to clean the piston?

Seems like if I am going to do that major disassembly then I may as well fit new airbags. - I changed the bellows last time myself- nearly killed me - those full length bellows are like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole!

Are the Arnotts Genii 'short" i.e. - will they go in easier than the 'uncollapsed' bellows alone?
Thanks
I

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I've never fitted them but according to specs they're a bit longer.

To change airbags next time simply select wad mode (top light on) support chassis (not axles) with stands to hold way up
there or jack up then place stands on chassis (not body) various ways of re inflating bags when done.....

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've just installed Gen IIs yesterday. So, I've got Gen IIs upfront and std ones in the back. I haven't noticed any handling difference from when I've had std ones in the front. So, to answer your first question, bellows can be mixed w/o much of a problem.

Second, I suggest that you go ahead and get the Gen IIs for $238/pair. Bellows-only option cost $100 each anyway, so better to get the fully assembled ones. If you get the assembled springs, install, after taking the tire off and fender liner off is literally just 5 min each.

Regards,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, thanks for the advice - as I say, I nearly killed myself singlehandedly changing the bellows only 18 months ago, took me two days, it was a nightmare of operating 3 jacks, a compressor and a 6 foot pipe which is why I will only buy assembled springs. And of course they now leak - the bladder is in perfect condition but the pistons leak at the interface so I think there is an inherent flaw in the design as many people have suggested.

The only difference between Genii and Geniii is the shape of the piston I think, so it is good to know they feel the same in your car.

Did you feel you needed to take the liner out - some forum people suggest leaving it in - I know it made the job much longer last time because I was trying to save the rivets, but don't recall having much of a hassle with the liner. I now have ordered new rivets from Atlantic British ($1.49 each - they are $6.49 each from the main dealer in Santa Monica - for a 3 cent piece of plastic - they are obscene in their pricing).

Do you know any rubber spray as suggested in some forums, to help the seal on the back?
Thanks also for the encouragement.

TheoR said:
I've just installed Gen IIs yesterday. So, I've got Gen IIs upfront and std ones in the back. I haven't noticed any handling difference from when I've had std ones in the front. So, to answer your first question, bellows can be mixed w/o much of a problem.

Second, I suggest that you go ahead and get the Gen IIs for $238/pair. Bellows-only option cost $100 each anyway, so better to get the fully assembled ones. If you get the assembled springs, install, after taking the tire off and fender liner off is literally just 5 min each.

Regards,

·
Registered
976 Posts
Sounds like you've had quite a handful w/ the bellow replacement last time. If you go w/ assembled unit this time, it's so simple and quick, you literally can't believe that it's that simple....kinda makes you want to pinch yourself to make sure that it's not a dream.

As for liner removal, for me, it was a pain to take off and install. Perhaps the effort to save the flimsy rivets made the operation more tedious. I did prevail in my effort, as I managed to mangle only 1 of the plastic rivet. I plan on stopping by NAPA to find cheap garden variety ones. If I find them, I'll be sure to post the part # here.

Personally, I can't imagine doing the replacement w/o removing the liner. If it wasn't much problem for you before, I suggest that you remove them. If you do, the air bag replacement is literally 5 min tops.

As for rubber spray, are you talking about the airline that goes into the bellow? If you are, I did apply some vaseline (Just a little bit) to the tip of the airline. If you are referring about spraying rubber compound spray to fix a leaking bellow, I don't know, as I haven't tried that.

Regards,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts