RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All
Thanks in advance for your advice. I am hoping that the following symptoms may allow someone to direct me to right place to start troubleshooting.

HISTORY
Replace front air bags in Dec when I found leaking right front. Since then I have noticed that the car will randomly drop to bumpstops. I did a leak check and notice small air leak at connections to top of the new airbags. I assumed that this was the culprit. I eventually re-connected the lines to the two bags. However I still have issues/. Here are the symptoms:

SYMPTOMS
- Drops to bumpstops sometimes over night. Almost guaranteed if I leave it at airport for 3 days.
- Pulled the relay under seat to check if it was leaking at a specific corner. It did not drop at all!!
- Sometimes it raises to max height as I am driving. Most times I cannot get it to come down until it either go into hard fault or it mysteriously fixes itself.
- In this phantom max height mode, it will sometimes go into hard fault.
- Notice recently that if I drove home in max height mode and left it, it did not drop to bump stops over night.

I have not yet leak checked anywhere other than the top of the air springs which appear ok.

I am surfing this website and don't know where to start.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
I would start by swapping your height sensors side to side. It's obviously not a leak since it didnt' drop after you took out the timer..so that makes it electrical. Swapping the sensors is quick and easy, and actually good to do anyway. The worst thing that could happen is nothing...unless you break off the arm like I did...don't do that.

·
Premium Member
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4,635 Posts
I agree with Tony on the random max height rise and hard fault issue. A new driver module is required most likely.

I'm also thinking you still may have a leak somewhere, although you've pulled the relay. Perhaps you need to leave it for 5 days+ with the relay out and see what happens?

Don't forget to check the valve block connections as well. Spray these with leak detection spray as well as the airspring/airline connections.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for suggestions so far, here are some updated symptoms:

The frequency of sudden rasing to max height has dropped..in fact it has been two weeks since it occurred. However I still find it dropping down (mostly in rear) every second morning.

1. I re-did the test for an air leak by disconnecting the under-seat relay and driving for a few days. It did actually drop over one night. The rear two airbags were delated but the front did not. I don't know if this means there is an air leak on both rear bags? I cannot find one by soap.

2. Checked the air inlet filter to the compressor and it was clear.

3. Checked for leaks around the valve block and no leaks at all.

4. I see a very small leak from the top of both my front air bags at the air line connector but it is very small.

5. Exhaust valve on valve block. I noticed that it periodically makes a poppling noise even when the vehicle is sitting still. I am not sure if this is normal or not. I noticed because I had spilled soapy water over the silencer and when I hear a pop I would also see a big air bubble on it.

6. After I hard faulted, I ran the fault check on the EAS software and I came back with the following faults
- Vehicle has moved
- Exhaust valve stuck closed

·
Premium Member
1,249 Posts
I have a good valve driver if you need it. I will sell it for $125 shipped.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Kmagnuss....I checked the bags in the normal about town height setting. I will check tonight at the other heights!

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
5- that's normal

6- that's a sign of a failing compressor relay, as is the mysterious max height and not coming down till later. swap out relay #20 in the engine bay fuse box, use the one for the headlight wipers (don't really need them anyway).

randomly dropping at night it usually leaky airsprings, kmag is right, the can leak at one height, but not another. since you did the fronts, the rear's likely need it "just because it's time" even if you can't find a leak.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re: EAS assist needed. See symptoms - Update

Here is my latest update

Dropping in rear:
- Could not find a leak in rear springs, but went ahead and replaced them anyway (they were 9 years old).
- Next day the rear had once again dropped. So that rules out air bags. There is no signs of leaks at the connections that I made.

Randon Max Height
- It still rises to max height posittion. In fact the frequency of it occuring is more often. It does seem to happen after a long hot day baking in the sunshine. Wonder it is related to air expansion in the bags.

I did change Relay #20...swapped with another. Unfortunately that made no difference.

I am reluctant to just start swapping parts, and I am looking for more troubleshooting advise?

Richard

Note:I am surprised that the front does not also drop

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
Re: EAS assist needed. See symptoms - Update

richardmurphy2 said:
Randon Max Height
- It still rises to max height posittion. In fact the frequency of it occuring is more often. It does seem to happen after a long hot day baking in the sunshine. Wonder it is related to air expansion in the bags.

that would be a LOT of expansion, more likely a dying driver module. if the springs arn't leaking, the valve block is.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks.

Think I will take plunge and replace my driver. Assume it is simply a matter of unplugging from connection under the seat.
I also need to take the advise of switching the height sensors.

In the spirit of sharing all symptons: Here is a new one
Another symtom to share: She "Hard Faulted" yesterday evening when it once again rose to max height and could not come down. Anyway, I left it over night in fault. It had not dropped over night. However when I started the car, it immediately dropped to the stops. I cleared the fault and it rose to normal height within 60 secs. Does this mean provide a clue to anyone?

Richard

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
4,509 Posts
richardmurphy2 said:
Assume it is simply a matter of unplugging from connection under the seat.
no, the ECU is under the seat, the driver module is bolted to the side of the valve block. It's possible to do if you pull the compressor out, but easier if you pull the whole valve block out. The pins for the pressure switch slide out of the connector if you release the lock-tab. DO NOT cut the wires for the pressure switch (it's incredible how many times I've seen that, and the splices often cause problems.)

·
Registered
865 Posts
9 year old air bellows, they've done well.

As you know its at leaast 9 yr old bellows I wouldnt hesitate to do the valve block, at the same time replace diaphragm

Solenoid driver pack can be suspect but so too is dirty connections on the EAS ECU located under the left front seat.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: EAS assist needed- Replacement of Driver Worked

Thanks once again to the folks who regularly contribute here. You are great.

Update on this. The replacement of the driver worked great. No more random sudden going to max height and hard fault.

A comment on the replacement of the driver: Dennis mentioned this but it was a surprise when I saw it. The new (or used in my case) driver requires that you remove the pressure switch wiring from the old unit and add to the replacement driver unit. To remove the two wires from the pressure switch you need to carefully
- identify them!
- release the retaining clips and remove.

Worked fine.

I still have a random air leak in the car which I suspect comes from inside the valve block. Another project for later

1 - 17 of 17 Posts