RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I recently bought a set of air horns in a truck store. Chinese crap for sure but enough to test if i like the concept and if i want to spend the extra bucks on quality ones.

About EAS, i think i may feed them with air directly from the EAS air tank. Tee in line and that's all. Our trucks have this advantages over all the pickup truck where those are often mounted, we have all the air setup already existing. :thumb:

Who has a setup like that ? I'd like to know where did you mount the horns exactly, because engine bay is a bit full in my case.
I really think that i may fit those over my steering guard.

Another thing, those have solenoids but for 24V. Do you know if i can feed them with a Dc Power Regulator Adaptor.
That thing is said to power notebook computers which requires DC imput from 15V to 24 V. At 24V output, it is 2,9A 70W max. :think:

Cheers

Flo

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Next you'll be hanging big brass nuts from your trailer hitch, just like the rest of the 'git er duns' down here do (or did, until they outlawed it).

:dance:

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I knew that i should have put why i need that on my rig. :?:

When i tour french alps by the trails, imagine a 3 m wide trail for that vehicle with nothing on one side.
I want to signal my presence in each blind spot to motorcycle and quad owners running at full throttle to me.
OEM horn isn't enough for that kind of job.

Another reason is Paris driving, although car phoning is illegal here, many people still do it with the cell on one hand. For security reason, even the best skilled driver shouldn't do that in Paris. Tiny roads, lots of motorcycles, bus lanes...
Latin dynamic way of driving.
I'd like to remember some that are almost driving on 2 lanes at 10 km/h because they're on phone, that i'd really like them to hang up :naughty: Police is looking for criminals that do real speeding offense say 52 kmh instead of 50 :x , not for those muppets.

I don't want it permanently so i'll a switch to select it or not

·
Registered
468 Posts
Like the idea, but why stop at a truck horn. I'm thinking one of those horns off a train or maybe even a ship. Mounting it under the bonnet may be an issue though.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
210 Posts
Might sound good initially, but I think you are asking for big trouble.

Air horns need lots of air, and at not too high a pressure.
The EAS is a high pressure and relatively low volume system.
Gross mismatch if you ask me.

Even if you get it to work, you will be flogging an expensive EAS compressor to an early grave.
At the same time you may be depleting the resevoir at a time when you might just need the air for the EAS.

Why compromise a very expensive and specifically designed air system to drive some cheap air horns.
Go out and buy a cheap rotary compressor, correctly matched to the air horns, and sleep easy at night, not worrying about yor EAS.

Cheers,
Keijo

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keijo said:
Might sound good initially, but I think you are asking for big trouble.

Air horns need lots of air, and at not too high a pressure.
The EAS is a high pressure and relatively low volume system.
Gross mismatch if you ask me.

Even if you get it to work, you will be flogging an expensive EAS compressor to an early grave.
At the same time you may be depleting the resevoir at a time when you might just need the air for the EAS.

Why compromise a very expensive and specifically designed air system to drive some cheap air horns.
Go out and buy a cheap rotary compressor, correctly matched to the air horns, and sleep easy at night, not worrying about yor EAS.

Cheers,
Keijo
Keijo,

Makes sense, that's why i do no longer have that tiny and very expensive OEM compressor :lol:
Upgraded for the AIM DC5000 correspond to the ExtremeAir Severe Duty High Output.
I'll see if i need to make some sliders-air tank to have more volume of air.
I can put a regulator in the line to decrease the pressure.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

- 3/4 Horsepower motor
- 60 A at 180 PSI
- 30 A at 30 PSI
- Continuous duty at 150 PSI
- 4 CFM free flow rate
- 1.3 CFM at 100 PSI
- Fills 33x12.50R15 from 12 to 30 PSI in 1' and 30"
- Length 14"
- Heigth 10"
- Width 6"
- Weigth 17 lbs
http://www.roverworld.com/extreme_aire_english.htm

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
210 Posts
LOL.

Nice one turbo!
You should have mentioned it in the intial post.

That's not your sissy, gutless OEM girls compressor.
That's a real serious bloke's compressor and on steroids.
How on earth do you find the space to fit it in?
And if you don't mind me asking, What's such a beast cost?

Cheers,
Keijo

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
210 Posts
How slack am I?

Just clicked on the link and got the price and all the info'

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Keijo said:
LOL.

Nice one turbo!
You should have mentioned it in the intial post.

That's not your sissy, gutless OEM girls compressor.
That's a real serious bloke's compressor and on steroids.
How on earth do you find the space to fit it in?
And if you don't mind me asking, What's such a beast cost?

Cheers,
Keijo
Those on the website are way overpriced. Got mine on a trip to Florida, i paid 300 USD including shipping.
Look for PUMA DC 5000 or AIM DC 5000, it's the same thing and the good news, it is fully rebuildable :thumb: , a repair kit costs only 79 USD. I'm nearly sure i won't ever need one.

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
210 Posts
I see the unit as mounted, in the photo.
No sign of the valve block, but lots of new plumbing and some manual valves.
Does this mean you have a manually operated system only?
How do you control the ride height now?

Also how noisy is the compressor when operating?

Sorry about all the questions, not being nosey, just very interested in possible variations of all our truck's systems.

Thanks and cheers,
Keijo

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Keijo said:
I see the unit as mounted, in the photo.
No sign of the valve block, but lots of new plumbing and some manual valves.
Does this mean you have a manually operated system only?
How do you control the ride height now?

Also how noisy is the compressor when operating?

Sorry about all the questions, not being nosey, just very interested in possible variations of all our truck's systems.

Thanks and cheers,
Keijo
There's still a valve block and a drive box but they have moved in place of the EVAP Canister(that has moved behind LR headlight and that i'd like to move under the truck like BOSCH engined P38) next to the compressor.
Manual valves are used for emergency and valve blocks swaps. That way, i can lock the system and not loose any air, then change the valve block in order to quickly test another one that isn't longer in a box in few minutes.

Compressor isn't noisy at all because i worked a long time on that part of the job.
I used some bituminous dampening adhesive sheets (4x6 inches) all over the mounting area and one or 2 on the compressor directly.
Then i made a sandwitch of silentblocs ( i tried something like 3 types of those).
A friend of mine provided me some Peugeot 1007 sliding door motor silentblocs are perfect for that job since the comp and the motor have nearly the same weight. I used 8 of those.

Basically the install looks like that :

--------------- Compressor
I Threading and nut
0 Peugeot 1007 silentblocs
I Threading and nut
--------------- Mouting plate
I Bolt in OEM holes for the valve bloc assy
O Fiat Exhaust silentblocs
---------------- Dampening materials

That isn't very neat if you look at it but since i can't notice the compressor running from the cabin, even with the engine off, i didn't want to finish that neatly and ruin the concept :lol:

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
210 Posts
Thanks turbo,

Looks and sounds like a thoroughly thought out and well engineered job.
Good to see someone making the effort to do a job properly.
Might think about a similar setup as my compressor nears the end of it's useful life.

Best regards and cheers,
Keijo

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
bushing or rubber isolator :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts