RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, im new to this site so be nice to me lol.
my 1996 2.5 dse rangerover has decided to get a mind of its own?
its started revving high but rev counter stopped working so unsure of the rpm? approx 3000rpm!!
also beeping up alternator fault, airbag fault on dash?
and my eas has also stopped working( all dash lights on) but when i plug into the labtop in its showing no eas faults?
had a bit of a read online and my m8 seems to thinks its down to the crank sensor?
anyone else had this problem or know how to fix it?
thanks in advance

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: eas , alternator+airbag fault and rev counter not working??

anyone got any ideas????????????? been over a week now and stil no replys?

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts

Most here drive V8s, which explains the slow respons to a diesel question. :wink:

If the cranksensor is damaged or broken, the engine will indeed rev up to approx 3000 rpm and you won't get an rpm reading on the dash IIRC. But the other symptoms (warning lights, EAS etc) seem to point more to an electrical problem.

You can try to replace the cranksensor, or at least take it out to look for damage.
If you can keep the engine running safely, also try and mesure to chargevoltage.

Good luck and keep us posted,

Filip

·
Registered
640 Posts

I think I would initialy be looking for a Electrical fault possibly the Alternator, as a classic sign of alternator failure/fault on a lot of vehicles is the Rev Counter packing up as this is impulsed from the Alternator.

Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts

Col said:
I think I would initialy be looking for a Electrical fault possibly the Alternator, as a classic sign of alternator failure/fault on a lot of vehicles is the Rev Counter packing up as this is impulsed from the Alternator.

Cheers
Although most vehicles do indeed get the rev-signal from the alternator, in the P38a (and other recent LRs) the signal is derived from the speed pulse train of the engine ECU (originating at the crankposition sensor).
Last year I had a DSE in the Shop with a broken CPS, revcounter wasn't working IIRC but the alternator was fine. ;)

Greetz,

Filip

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

thanks for your help filip and col .
i got the day off today so hopefully get to the bottom of this.
i will let you know how i get on.
thanks again

·
Registered
457 Posts

Hi WelshP38, I had "Alternator Fault!" on the dash display and it was one of the phases down on the back of the alternator which also showed up as no battery light on the dash too. Mines a V8 so can't really say anymore than that regards your diesel.

Where in Wales are you? I'm in Bridgend. I can recommend Promec Engineering in Llantrisant or HBH in Caerphilly for an independant LR garage should you need it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts