RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
EAS Airbag leak-down... Bag looks perfect, O ring not showing leaks.. What next?

While I have been watching this for a while, I finally got the time to investigate further.

Issue:
Front drops slowly overnight, and if left for 48 hours its on the bumps all round.
Always seemed to be LH front was lowering first.
Sometimes I hear it self-level maybe after sitting for 5 hours..
Replaced the valveblock O rings and pipe entry rings... Sprayed everything, and no bubbles.
Airbags look brand new front and rear... No cracking, or aging.
When on High setting, bags still have the little nubs..

So 2 nights ago, I set in on normal height and pulled the relay under the seat.
After 24 hours front LH was on bumps. measured others, and recorded.
After 48 hours, it was still the same. No sign of Rear or RH side lowering.

The problem seems to be the LH front.. But the bag looks fine.

Ideas?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
32 Posts
Re: EAS Airbag leak-down... Bag looks perfect, O ring not showing leaks.. What next?

Is the car parked securely at night?
Could you possibly leave a door ajar to stop it "settling"?
It would at least confirm you have a leak in the system as the car won't self adjust with one or more doors open.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: EAS Airbag leak-down... Bag looks perfect, O ring not showing leaks.. What next?

Pulling the relay under the seat stops it self adjusting I thought?

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Shot a couple of pics of that LH front bag when the suspention was set on high t expose the condition...

·
Registered
18 Posts

It recommend getting some soapy water in a spray bottle and soaking the suspect air bladder, paying close attention to the bottom part, where the bladder meets the bottom of the spring. And make sure you try the procedure at different heights. My old bladders were leaking at the bending point somewhere between the highway and normal setting. I hope this helps. :thumb:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I did before, and could see no bubbles, thats why I am asking for help!
Did the valve block O rings... Twice, and even bought another valve block of Ebay, and it did the same, rebuilt that one, and it still did it.

Am I correct to say that bag looks almost new? We have had the car almost 2 years, and the PO has no idea when they were done.

If I pull the bag out, is there a way to test or reseal it?
I could buy another, and be done with it, but I would be pretty pissed off if I do that and it still leaks down, cos the leak is a pipe or something else.

More info:
If we leave the Range for 24 hours, with the relay in, and all as normal, the front is almost always down on bumps, and comes up either right away, or within a few mins. If we dont drive it for a couple of days its all round flat on bumps and it takes 15 mins to come up... I will need to redo the pump seal next I think.

What was interesting was yesterday, with the relay removed overnight, and the LH front flat on the bumps, I replaced the relay, started the engine, and as soon as I shut the door the Front left jumped straight up, and dash light went straight solid, as the tank was obviously full, and only had that one bag to fill.

Last night I left it at extended height, pulled the relay, and left it. I measured the height from upper wheel rim to wheel arch lip... it was 10".
This morning after about 18 hours sitting, it is about 6", so it lost 4" in 18 hours.
That seems like a pretty big leak...
Why cant I see it???

·
Registered
408 Posts

I had a similar issue with my right front bag, checked and the bag was manufactured 10th month of 2008 and was in great condition. It turned out that when the weather turned cold here in So Cal, lower than 50 degrees overnight, the bag would not seal at the upper turret. I used a product called Syl-glide and liberally smothered both the upper mount and the upper sealing bead of the air bag, now she stays level overnight at any height setting, even at Big Bear Lake one weekend where the temperature dropped below twenty! I consider my problem to be solved! :thumb:

·
Registered
18 Posts

I had a similar issue with my right front bag, checked and the bag was manufactured 10th month of 2008 and was in great condition. It turned out that when the weather turned cold here in So Cal, lower than 50 degrees overnight, the bag would not seal at the upper turret. I used a product called Syl-glide and liberally smothered both the upper mount and the upper sealing bead of the air bag, now she stays level overnight at any height setting, even at Big Bear Lake one weekend where the temperature dropped below twenty! I consider my problem to be solved! :thumb:
Good tip. Also check this link http://hildstrom.com/projects/frontairspring/index.html
Good luck.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Awesome, I will try to find some locally.
Sound like a plan... at least if i pull the unit off, I will have a better idea of if its cracked somewhere.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

Hi

Leak test with soapy water is not always revealing all the leaks. In my personal experience the best way to test the bags is to start the car and let the suspension raise to normal height. Switch off the car, pull the relay and restart the car. Now drive around the block and after that check the car. I have had the car staying up without any problems but wearing out my compressor. It happened that small cracks in one of the bags were sealed when stationary but were opening and closing when the car was moving over uneven surfaces.

It is unlikely to be the problem in your case but to be kept in mind in case you have problems in the future.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
1,851 Posts

Hi again

I forgot to mention to avoid pulling the relay with the engine running, this will cause an instant hard fault of the suspension. I did this once when having some problems in the past and had to have the ecu reset at the dealer as this was before I owned a Rovacom and long before the software from Storey became available.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Pulled the suspect bag off...
Is this the Manufacturing date?
04-44?

Bag looks pretty good, and no signs of real wear..

Only think I spotted is a fine cut...

Pushing it from the inside,with my finger, it looks like this.

Nothing visible inside the bag...
Could this be the issue?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts

Bin it!! That crack will open more with age . Do not risk anything for the small price of a new bladder from Shupack or a good used bladder from a known vendor (who said Scotty`))

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

I normally just leave the bags on the top and base, then inflate with the airline and spray. Found leaks by doing that when no leaks turned up when the bag was installed on the rig.
Agree with Florent, bin it and get another bag.

Martin

·
Registered
408 Posts

Yes that is the date of manufacture, 44th week of 2004, like me learned friends previously advised... bin it! :thumb:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

"learned friends" and "bin it" in the same sentence.....I like it`)

Martin

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Ok, well by the time I looked back at this thread, I had lubed the top and bottom seals and put it back on.

Now, should I replace both of them based on the age?

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,235 Posts

Still leaking etc?
I replace all 4 bags at once when one starts to leak. If one is leaking, the others wont be far behind it IMO.

Martin

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)

Left it at normal ride height overnight and its on the bumps again this morning on the same corner... Grrrr.
Rear is fine, so for now will replace both front bags.

Ok, now my only question is this...
Will NEVER or rarely use this Range Offroad... its my GF's Daily Driver.
Stock bags or Arnott 2's?
$182 or $299 for the front pair..
If the Gen 2's are longer lived, AND give a better ride, she is up for that!
I cant see any reason to spend $220 more that stock for the Gen 3's...

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,491 Posts

Gen3 are not offroad good only. Those reduces body roll on highway or spirit driving and are slightly more comfortable on normal setting. But if you're happy with oem, stick to it.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts