RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
..hi guys..i was going trough RAVE, for sake of understanding completely valve block/EAS air flow and how it suppose to be connected. I was able to follow it up, until i reach Diaphragm valve connections, and i was unable to track down flow, based on RAVE schematics..so, based on my understanding, I have made EAS air connections diagram, and I would like to know, is this diagram of mine, correct or not?? Its air, not electrical connections. If i have done it wrong, please, can you modify drawing and show me how it suppose to be..

Attachments

R

·
0 Posts
people told me a bad diaphragma valve would be cause the car needs to pump first in the morning to raise, the tank would run empty because of it..... can't ryme that with your diagram

·
Registered
971 Posts
this is interesting...

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
people told me a bad diaphragma valve would be cause the car needs to pump first in the morning to raise, the tank would run empty because of it..... can't ryme that with your diagram
..well..i think it rhyme very well, with my drawing..I believe that drawing is correct, except Diaphragm valve..since i do not know how it actually operates(RAVE drawing really messed it up for me), i assumed on provided drawing that it works in same way as all other valves, in which case, drawing 'should' be correct..I was basically following RAVE drawing much as i could, and at same time RAVE description of Diaphragm valve which says:
A diaphragm valve operated by the solenoid outlet valve ensures that all
exhausted air passes through the air dryer.

So, basically its used when system is depressurized, for whatever reason(car adjusting height or service, etc). If that is correct, then, according to my drawing, it should work like this:

Up
-Open Air Valve required(one or more)
-Open Intake Valve
-Close Exhaust Valve
-Close Diaphragm Valve

Down
-Open Air Valve required(one or more)
-Close Intake Valve
-Open Exhaust Valve
-Open Diaphragm Valve

Fill Tank
-Close Air Valves
-Close Intake Valve
-Close Exhaust Valve
-Close Diaphragm Valve

So, in all this scenarios, my drawing comply, as in any way, air does go trough air dryer. However, I would really like to have confirmation/explanation about Diaphragm Valve as it looks rather different on RAVE drawing, which is different from the way I draw that particular valve.

Another thing is, i would like to know, what kind of valves are used for EAS? I mean, for example, valve is energized, and lets say, change its state to OPEN, once is not energized, does it remain in last state (STAYS OPEN), so it needs to be energized again to go back to CLOSE, or it will go by itself to CLOSE state once its not energized(like spring closing it back, or something)??

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
..thanks a lot... im going to redraw it, based on this..its clear that Diaphragm valve i didn't understood correctly..as I can see, there are 3 air connections to to it..

·
Premium Member
1,339 Posts
The EAS diagram in RAVE is far from clear when it comes to the diaphragm valve (one might even say it is wrong...).
I found this in the Land Rover EAS System Information Document (can be downloaded from http://rave.stringsandints.com/), which explains exactly how the diapghragm works. The important thing to remember is the valve is powered/activated at the same time as the compressor. This explains why some people have trouble using a different compressor with custom wiring, as the diaphragm valve remains open. And why, if you want to connect a shop compressor for quick filing of the air tankt, you need to do it at the dryer.

Filip

Attachments

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@Escape

Thank you very much..now i completely understand diaphragm valve principle, and why 3 air connections..now im wondering, what is the reason for use of diaphragm valve, instead of valves used for air springs? It looks like, during deflating process, basically, one side of diaphragm is exposed to atmosphere pressure, while other is exposed to system pressure, leaking to atmosphere, and it seems that spring inside eventually will close it at some point. What is the reason to use this, instead of same valve as one on air springs?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts