RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Last Saturday we had a 8.8 earthquake here in Santiago ,everything was Ok at my house ,and when the movement stop ,i went out my house to cut off the gas ,a noisy "pssssssssssssss" was a really bad feeling about a gas leak coming out from a pipe inside the pavement ,but it wasn't

It was my P38!!! that was leaking air ,and in matter of seconds was completely down

Yesterday ,i start to check the bellows ,because definetely was an air leak ,but we didn't have idea where . I took off the 2 rear bellows ,and no signs of leaks

The problem was ,the air pipe that goes ,from the valve block to the reservoir tank, actually blew up ,though it was due the movement of the floor during the earthquake that produce several presure changes inside the system,question is,why??

Unfortunatelly the dealer here had at least one Disco 4 caput ,the roof came down and crush vehicles (saw it on the news),and i think jags and porsches had the same destiny :doh:

The pipe was repair with basic items,electrical tape,teflon and thermoretractil stuff use on cables (and a bandaid) :mrgreen:

Any ideas about what happend? ,everybody says it was my car that was bad before .But i still think it was due quick pressure variations inside the system

Does the system ,has a relief valve ,probably that wasn't working

Best Regards!

C.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Wow, that's a strange one !

Can't comment on the problem though, but my heart and thoughts are in Chile right now.

As an argentinean living in Dominican Republic, I'm currently very susceptible to this global quake situation. It got pretty scary the past Jan 12th, during the Haiti eartquake. My office in Santo Domingo shook pretty hard. Hope everything's allright with your family and relatives.

Fuerza hermanos !

N.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
73 Posts
Sounds like the air line was just weak/brittle and when the shaking happened it finally went. It was probably going to fail on you anyway at some point soon but was just accelerated by the earthquake - those lines are under some pretty high pressures.

·
Registered
701 Posts
The earth quake made it dizzy. Those poor rovers and jags... Didn't even get the chance to have the shet beaten out of them by a wana be paris hilton.

·
Registered
541 Posts
First, it is good to hear that you are unharmed, I wish the best for your fellow countrymen and women.

I agree w/ fiftywatt, you probably had some weakness in that line prior to the quake and the incredible shifting and vibrating of such a huge force probably just worked it until it broke. It may be a good thing that this happened while you were not driving it.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Earthquake made news here very shortly after it happened, scary stuff and hope all is settling down.

You didnt say where the pipe was ruptured but here's what I think may have happened.

If pipe went where it goes across on rear of chassis then it possible the body moved that much against the chassis that it banged on it, as it is pressurised it would pop very easily.

If it popped in the protective tubing then there might have been sand or sharp small stones in it causing it rub hard

·
Registered
43 Posts
Just a quick note from my side to wish you, your family and your fellow countrymen the best during this hardtime.

Mohamed

·
Registered
234 Posts
Glad to hear you are alright mate!

I think there is a pressure limit switch on the valveblock and or air reservior tank, maybe it malfunctioned or the wiring to it got damaged, but I always thought the EAS computer would register a hard fault and depressurise the system in that senario.

My feeling is maybe your airline either was damaged by some object previously or failed as a result of fatigue (or both) and the shaking and shock of the quake finished it off.

Post a pic of the busted line when you get the chance so we can have a look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts