RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone share the secret to getting the 'E' Post Trim off?

Deciding to run my antenna cable down the E post and in through the plastic grommet, I set about removing the big trim piece. After following the Workshop Manual...
'E' Post - Exterior Trim [Service repair no - 76.43]
Remove

1. Open upper tailgate
2. Remove 3 screws securing trim to 'E' post.

3. Remove trim.
... my trim seemed stubbornly attached at the leading edge. Subsequent efforts to prise it out didn't end as expected.

So, consulting the wealth of knowledge here:
Sun Feb 12, 2006
jsp:
...Took me two weeks to get the trim piece off, and figured it out after looking at a wreck with trim removed at TRS...

Thu Mar 06, 2008
q-rover:
... Fitting was straight forward and I fitted it on the rear plastic panel. This simply pulled off after removing the 3 screws...

wills:
... Also, you say the rear plastic finisher just pulls off after removing the 3 screws?? I had a **** good go when trying to install a GPS antenna but never managed to get it off, whats the secret??

paul.adshead:
I talked to my local indy shop about removing the rear plastic finisher, about 6 months ago. He said that they were (/should be,) glued on, on all edges except the rear (- which has the screws).

q-rover:
... I didn't see any sign of glue on mine. I just carefully levered it off starting at the bottom...
... I see it's a bit more involved than the manual suggests. Mine is affixed at the leading edge.

What's the best way to remove the trim? (Preferably without damaging anything :) )

Closely related, and not clear in the Workshop Manual, my Quarter Light trim only seems affixed at the top section - do I need to run a knife along to remove this?

As brief introduction, this is my second month's ownership of this 1996 4.6 HSE - and it's responding wonderfully to a bit of TLC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Jos,

I stumbled across the second thread you linked, (and quoted jsp above, where he only states it took him two weeks to get the trim off, not the 'how').

The first link is fantastic - thanks for posting the details and pictures. I'll see how I go at first light.

Cheers,
Ben

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
2,064 Posts
I have that window! :roll:

Scotty

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Scotty, I've just realised I had no location specified - quickly rectified. I'm downunder, so I might see if I can chase up a local replacement first - but I'll certainly keep you in mind!

Thanks, Ben

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got the trim piece off after cutting a lot of sealer. Perhaps the trim may have been placed back on before the sealer cured after a quarter light replacement.

Of course, once all the sealer had been cut, the trim piece 'just popped right off' :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts