RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had my 2006 RR Sport Supercharged for about a year now.

After about 3 months of driving it, noticed a coolant leak in the radiator area. Decided to take it off the road and replace the radiator in due time.

Ended up replacing the radiator, a/c condenser, coolant hoses (Atlantic British kit), thermostat, flushed the coolant.

Battery went dead while it was sitting on the jacks so I bought a new one.

Now, when I purchased the vehicle I knew there was a problem with the air suspension. The mechanic that inspected it (dedicated Land Rover garage, but not a dealer) figured the compressor was gone.

But now that I have fired it up again, the Dynamic Response Warning Lamp is on, which I am 99% sure was not the problem a year ago. The air suspension seems to work fine now (likely due to new battery?). Also got the "Suspension Fault, Stop With Care, Turn Off Engine"

DR fluid is right between Min and Max

I did a scan using Autoenginuity Software, and under the Vehicle Dynamics Control Module CAN it gave a DTC of "C1a00 Control Module"

Underneath that code it said 2 other things

1. Status: Test Failed Since Code Clear, Stored Code (Non-MIL Related), Pending Code (Non-MIL Related)

2. Subtype: Bus Signal/Message Failure, Bus is Off

Any ideas as to a fix would be appreciated.

Also, is it "safe" to drive while I try and fix it. ie. will I damage anything by continuing to drive it?

Thanks in Advance

Bruce

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hello Bruce, I am surprised there are no responses to this thread since there is so much experience on this forum. I suggest you use the 'Custom Search' bar to get closer to the answers you need or at least point you in the right direction to look...

ctt

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm a little surprised as well ctt!

Believe me, I have searched extensively on these forums, the internet and through a Range Rover Sport Owner's Handbook that I found online somewhere. The handbook says it covers 2005 to 2012, and I used it to change my radiator(s) last month, so it is accurate.

One solution I have found is to flush the whole system. However, you either need to take it to a dealer, or purchase special equipment to do it.

Before I dod that, the first thing I will try is to replace the dynamic response fluid filter, and do a partial flush as per roverparts' video.

http://www.roverparts.com/resources/videos/dynamic-response-system-service-range-rover-sport-supercharged/

This isn't a full flush, but maybe with a new filter, some new fluid it will correct the problem.

I'm also thinking (after the filter change) of sucking the fluid out of the reservoir every week or so, and refilling with new fluid. I figure if I do this for a couple months, I would end up with about 90% new fluid. My only question is if the DR system is shut down, will the new fluid even flow through and be mixed with the old fluid to make this possible.

My other concern is that the warning is so ominous "Suspension Fault, Stop with Care, Turn Off Engine" that I might be damaging something by continuing to drive the vehicle. My gut tells me that this warning is there because without the DR system functional, the chance of rolling the vehicle is greater. But I'd like to know for sure. I'll continue to take my chances for now if that is the only downside.

Bruce

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I receive the following PM today in response to my question above. I started to reply privately, but switched to the forums as I think that my response might have some helpful information for others in the future. Which is the whole point of the forums right?

I am not identifying the person who sent me the PM (as they clearly did not want to post publicly, and it is not my intention to"call them out"), but here is their response to my original post...
[h=2]___________________________________________

I put C1a00 into google- looks like lots of info came up[/h][h=2]

[/h]https://www.google.ca/search?q=C1a00&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=vSi6WsOMEeKy8wfy471I

PS; I changed the filter a couple of years ago. It is metal and expensive. The one I took out was pristine. Only a drop or two of fluid comes out when you take the filter out.

And here is my response to that, with information that I believe might help others...

I thank you for taking the time to respond to me. I really do. However, put yourself in my shoes, and imagine how you would feel if someone told you to try "google" to solve your problems, then actually gave you the link to google! Would you not feel the slightest bit patronized?

Believe me, before I post something, I do my own research to either try and understand and solve the problem myself, or at least understand the basics of the situation.

As you can see in my original post above, I did just successfully switch out all the radiators on my RRS so I'm not unable to read manuals and search for information online, then follow through with instructions.

I also appreciate that you have relayed your experience with a similar problem/issue. Two comments on that.

1) From my reading/research, I have gleaned that the DR system is very sensitive to any contamination. No matter how small. So when you pulled out your filter and it was "pristine", perhaps it was only that way to the human eye? In the Atlantic British video (link is posted above) that I posted, he takes out the filter (3:39 of the video) and says "you don't really see much material on there but if you were to get in there you would find that you are probably restricted by about 30 to 40%".

2) Later in the same video (staring at 5:46), after replacing the filter, he explains further that by disconnecting the front and back hydraulic hoses after replacing the filter, you can drain about 1 quart (1 litre) out of the system. This, according to the video, "would almost constitute a flush for the system".

Again, from the original post you will see that I (actually my wife) have only owned this truck for about a year. Before that I knew nothing about Range Rovers. I am taking the time to learn as much as I can about servicing and maintaining these vehicles. I don't expect others to do my "homework" for me. But this process can be sped up immensely by others sharing their knowledge and experience that cannot be found in manuals, or online for that matter. These forums have been great for that.

As far as the price of the filter itself, I was quoted close to $200 including tax here in Canada. I see AB has it for $49 USD.

I'm no closer to solving my issue, but hopefully the info here helps someone in the future.

Thanks

Bruce

1 - 5 of 5 Posts