RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After sealing up the holes in my LH wheel/footwell (due to me using a long screwdriver as an ice-pick more than ten years ago...) and patching the other rust holes on the floor, I decided to permanently remove the OEM "sponge" as it was still considerably wet and it's been weeks since I've driven in any wet conditions. Thankfully the sills and the rest of the floor are fine and still solid.

I've ordered some Dynamat DynaPad to replace the OEM material. It's 3/8" thick, about one pound per square foot in weight, and has a four layer composite barrier with dissimilar layers. It has a heavy duty vinyl barrier between two layers of acoustic foam, which is covered by an oil and water resisting poly facing.

I don't care about the sound insulation as much as I want to avoid the "sponge" behavior of the OEM stuff. Does anyone have long-term experience with this product? Does it stay dry or is it a sponge? TIA.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I dont have experience with what youre planning to use but wanted to achieve the same thing. ive read about some stuff called second skin specifically luxury liner that is more of a cell foam material that doesnt soak up water. I also dont care too much about sound insulation. I wasnt even planning on having it glued in, just lay in sections under the carpet. that way i have easy access to the footwells for water removal/inspection. Havent acted on it yet though. For now i have no insulation, just carpet and it sounds fine. maybe ill pull the trigger in the spring.

·
Registered
719 Posts
heres a link to what i was talking about. cant veryify that its any good. All i want is a layer of the cell foam material without all the other stuff. i imagine its cheaper too but havent checked.

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/

·
FOUNDING MEMBER
446 Posts
I have fairly extensive Dynamat in one of my Classics, and I've noticed a slight reduction in noise but also better heat insulation, especially around the firewall and transmission tunnel. Also, put into the doors and they feel a little more solid when closing now. Haven't had the Dynamat in to comment on the long-term effects, but seems very dry and all.

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
heres a link to what i was talking about. cant veryify that its any good. All i want is a layer of the cell foam material without all the other stuff. i imagine its cheaper too but havent checked.

http://store.secondskinaudio.com/
Sydneyman - thx for the link. I found the Dynamat DynaPad from Walmart for a really good price, that I don't mind paying more for the Dynamat product.

I'm planning on just laying the DynaPad in place for the same reasons you gave. ;)

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'll be hovering around for updates. This is on my Winter project list...

·
Premium Member
1,482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have fairly extensive Dynamat in one of my Classics, and I've noticed a slight reduction in noise but also better heat insulation, especially around the firewall and transmission tunnel. Also, put into the doors and they feel a little more solid when closing now. Haven't had the Dynamat in to comment on the long-term effects, but seems very dry and all.
Cody - which Dynamat products did you use specifically? Good to hear they're nice and dry...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts