RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago the motor on my '03 HSE steering column lock began quickly locking/unlocking 4x whenever I insert my key. When I try turning it I am unable to. After inserting and removing the key 3-4 times it finally unlocks the column properly.

Could this be a sign of a dying column luck, dying key battery or something else? Replacing the column may cost more than the truck is worth (not really an option).

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
346 Posts
As RRToadHall mentioned there are multiple threads on the topic. If you do some digging you will find an article by Britparts explaining the procedure. In addition numerous others have had the issue and have rebuilt the solenoid by replacing the magnet with a R422 magnet and regained full functionality. The write ups have plenty of pictures and detailed instructions. Read them all and don't get discouraged if the first few are not helpful. In the last couple months one member went through this and everything can be found in his post. I would say it can easily be done at home, or a shop that is willing to read what has been written and do it. Replacing the column is very expensive and sourcing the part is also difficult.

Best bet is to search the forum and read up on it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Following up... I replaced the batteries in my keys and haven't had any problems since. I guess the keys weren't transmitting strong enough to properly unlock the steering column. Hope this helps someone else.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
155 Posts
That's strange. The batteries don't have anything to do with the lock system, just the remote lock/unlock/alarm. But if it works now, all is good.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh oh... I thought the key transmitted a signal that, when inserted into the cylinder, tells the steering column to unlock? Is the chip in the key passive? If it is then I haven't fixed the problem I was having.

·
Registered
111 Posts
There are some videos on you tube. I guy that explains the steering column issues and fixes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts