RangeRovers.net Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Help !! I have a 2006 RRS and my RSE LCD screens just stop displaying video. I have sound and the the changer seems to be working properly as well. I asked my dealer and all they could offer was a $150/hr troubleshoot with no guaranty to locate the problem. Any suggestions are definitely appreciated....

Thanks !!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Are both screens dead, no video signal at all (meaning that even when using the remote to bring up the OSD or try changing input from DVD to AV1 or AV2 you get nothing going on either display)? If they are both completely off, they aren't getting power and I'd suspect a loose connector somewhere between RSE module (located behind the RH loadspace area panel) and LCDs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply, yes both seem to be dead. I did try the AV1 & 2 and still nothing on the LCD screens. Again there is sound from the DVD player but nothing on the screens. How do I access the RSE module in the rear of the truck?

Thanks !!

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Ehm... Before you start taking your car apart, both rear screens are turned ON from the RSE menu on the front touchscreen, yes? :wink: Also check the fuse for the RSE module, there is a dedicated one in the fuse box behind the lower glove box, see your manual for the fuse #.

Here is a schematic of the video system, with modules locations. Look for the two connectors indicated when you get to the RSE module - that's how the rear screens are fed power and video input by the module. http://www.rrsport.co.uk/gallery/albums ... ospecs.pdf

To remove the rear trim panel that hides the RSE module (as well as PTI and DVD changer): download/file.php?id=1641

I can supply you with electrical circuit diagrams if you are so inclined... But it seems strange that both monitors would fail together, given the fact they are supplied power independently by the RSE module. If everything checks out OK and you are able to hear your DVD, but not see it on both rear monitors, a dealer visit may be required... Your RSE module may be defective.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Umbertob !! I will definitely check all settings and the fuse before I look to access the RSE itself. I thought it was kind of odd as well that both screens just stopped working. If by chance it is the RSE module, does the dealer have to replace it or can I lcoate one and replace it myself..... Just trying to avoid the dealer completely if possible because they didn't seem too thrilled about troubleshooting it. ;)

I appreciate all your help as well...

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had the same issue under warranty and it was resolved by replacing a wire harness that goes under the driver seat.
There's a TSB about some 06 models, late build, that were misassembled with the wire harness to the left of the driver seat track instead of the right and this caused some chafing on the wires.
Do a search and you'll find out all about it, it took my dealer $$$$ of dollars to diagnose, they went as far as replacing the head unit and no luck despite of the fact that I kept pointing them to the TSB. At the end they finally listened and replaced said harness, problem solved.
I saw the bill to LR for the harness, head unit and diagnose and it was for well over 3k.
Take my vaccine and go straight for that harness, it's at worst $300 and a fairly simple DYI.
Find the TSB, maybe Umberto can help, and then go to the dealer and be cool and explain. It took me at least 3 visits until I got my tech on board to what the problem was.
Mind you, this all happened last January.

Rafa

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks Rafa, I'll look into the TSB for more info as well. That sounds like a good place to start. If I can remember correctly, it stopped working when I had to fold my rear seats down to haul something for the kids. I know I had to move my front seats forward for the rear seats to fold into their secure spot.

I also replaced my battery around the same time so I'm hoping that didnt wipe out any config setting as well. In any case, I think the TSB is the best place to start.

Much thanks again !!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well guys I have an update to share... If you recall, I cannot get video on my rear LCD screens on my 2006 RRS but I do get full sound and the DVD player is working fine. I did a lot of troubleshooting with the help of diagrams provided by umbrertob other posters in this forum.
The video on the rear LCD screens is still not working. I did do a diagnostic on the TSD (touch screen display) and it said there was an input video failure. With the help of a local stereo shop we traced the wiring to make sure there were no cuts, crimps or disconnects. We also checked the rear seat entertainment module located in the RH rear luggage compartment and couldnt tell if the module was sending out power to the LCD screens or a video signal.

So I decided to replace the RSE Module and see if that is the problem. Any other suggestions are welcome as well...

Thanks for all the feedback too...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all

I am a newbie on this site and have exactly the same prob on my late 2006 RRS s/c the Alpine DVD player will play certain discs inc audio cds but will not play certain discs even though they have been purchased from legit suppliers.
When the discs are loaded the player goes through its cycle and it shows that all discs are loaded, but instead of playing it will just skip along to one of the discs that will play!!
I am confused because the symbols on the discs show the same reg 2 PAL but the symbols are slightly different in the fact that the ones that play have an oval globe with a 2 in the centre and the ones that dont play have like a grid with a 2 in the centre ?

Was ther a successful outcome to the previous problems on this thread? I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks

·
Registered
167 Posts
Two outcomes:
1. Buy a new DVD player
2. I use the aux port with an iPad... Not as integrated, but works.

I don't think anyone has been able to figure it out. I took mine to the dealer, and when I got it back they said I needed to replace it, and the tray would no longer eject. But then again, my dealer is shady and somewhat unqualified.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi all

I am a newbie on this site and have exactly the same prob on my late 2006 RRS s/c the Alpine DVD player will play certain discs inc audio cds but will not play certain discs even though they have been purchased from legit suppliers.
When the discs are loaded the player goes through its cycle and it shows that all discs are loaded, but instead of playing it will just skip along to one of the discs that will play!!
I am confused because the symbols on the discs show the same reg 2 PAL but the symbols are slightly different in the fact that the ones that play have an oval globe with a 2 in the centre and the ones that dont play have like a grid with a 2 in the centre ?

Was ther a successful outcome to the previous problems on this thread? I would appreciate any help.

Many thanks
For what it is worth I had what sounds like a similar issue on my 07 early on. Day one I could load it up with discs and all worked great. As a few months went on discs that played before began not to play at all or in a particular slot. That seemed to progress to a point where it would cycle through the tray sometimes finding a disc that would work depending on what slot it was in. My dealer replaced the changer and it worked like a champ from then on until the day I sold it.

I don't recall exactly why but while they had it in for that repair I needed to stop by the dealer to get something out of the RRS. They took me back into the shop to my RRS and I recall being amazed at how apart they had everything. There were so many wires exposed at different points. It makes me wonder if it might have been more than just the changer they swapped out. I'm not sure I still have the paperwork but I will take a quick peek and post what was done if I can find it.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
You guys all tried a cleaning disc first? As I mentioned before on another thread, I experienced the same problem about a year ago. It started with a couple of specific DVDs out of the 6 I had loaded, so initially I assumed it was the discs themselves that were damaged or somewhat incompatible. Sometimes the disc would play in one slot of the magazine and not in another, but eventually they all started skipping to the next one when I picked any of them for playback, in an endless loop.

I had to run a cleaning disc at least a dozen times before all discs resumed playing (I didn't buy the LR recommended one, I got a Maxell "CD-340" lens cleaner at a CVS pharmacy for 10 bucks or so. It's just a CD with some recorded instructions and a thin "blade" of soft bristles on its surface, that gently wipes the lens in the changer for 20 seconds or so and then stops.) I had almost given up on the disc until, after the third or fourth cleaning cycle, the changer finally stopped and started playing one of the discs that wasn't playing just a minute before, so I figured the cleaning disc was doing its job, just very slowly. Sure enough, it took several more passes of the cleaning disc but eventually all DVDs started working again. There's so much dust collecting in that well back there, don't discount the fact that your lens (and the discs themselves, but I am sure you have already cleaned those) may just be exceedingly dirty, nothing more.

For 10 bucks, it's worth a shot. Every 5 or 6 passes, you may want to remove the cleaning disc from the changer and wipe the bristles, if they are like mine they will have collected quite a bit of gunk on them. Then slide it back in and try another 5 or 6 cycles. Maxell says you shlouldn't use it more than 40 times, but if after a dozen tries you still get no improvement with any of the discs, I guess you are really SOL.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this problem with my 2007 RRS with the factory fit rear entertainment. The DVD changer would recognise it had disks but would only play audio CDs and a small number of DVDs with other DVDs saying [No Disc]. I tried two different lense cleaning disks with no joy.

In the end I took the side panel out of the boot (a large panel that includes the platic top vent panel with inside light and 2 other panels down to the rear footwell with 6+ clips - 3 at the rear and 3 down the seat back and down to the footwell - it is not just the carpet section!). I removed the DVD player from the car, opened up the casing and used a cotton bud to clean the lense directly. I took off two tiny specs of grit. I also cleaned the back of the plastic sliding door cover as this was weirdly filthy and used a can of air spray to get rid of all lose dirt in the unit and disk carrier. I put it all back together and can now play all of the DVDs that I have tried so far! Happy kids once again...:) (I took photos of the unit as I took the brackets off and the lid off as it is easy to forget where things went.) The DVD player comes apart quite easily but take extreem care. The lense can only just be accessed with a cotton bud through a slot in the top of the unit with the top lid removed. The top lid removes in a hinged action against the plastic front once the side clips have been released. All surprusingly easy but lots of care required! Good luck

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi all,

not trying to insult anyone, but, sometimes, the obvious can be very deceiving. That happened to me too. I tried to load some DVD's, so I thought, and it says "NO DISCS". It took me a little over 30 minutes figuring it out, until my 10 year old son came and said to me, Dad, I didn't know that the player can play both DVD and Blu-Ray, then I felt so stupid.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I also had a similar problem on my 09 with rear entertainment. While parked the DVD would play on the front navigation screen but not at all on the rear headrests. Mine was still under warranty so i took it in and they simply did a software update to the entertainment system and they work like a charm now. Hope that helps.

-Mike

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,
I have a 2007 Range Rover that I bought recently. I've been trying to get the DVD Player to work.... It seems like I have been trying everything I can think of and what you guys have mentioned so far. The DVD Player will come on as well as all the screens and the audio but the screens remain black.

Also, my car didn't come with a remote so I got a new remote but now I don't know how to program it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have found on my 2007 RR Sport with Rear Entertainment that the major issue with the DVD player (it seems it should be more wrong) is the lens on the optical pick-up to be filthy. For $25.00 at Best Buy they sell the solution. A disc with tiny brushes that clean 100% of the surface. It will take you through all it does as it's doing it... My problems were intermittent and driving me nuts... This fixed the problem. The #1 thing to look for is if the player at least recognizing there is a disc present. They usually do, then you know the reader (seperate function) is dusty... Since spinning mechanisms attract electrostatically all kinds of foreign air bound objects, the back end of a car is no different in the amount of contaminents are there, possible much more...

21 - 40 of 50 Posts