RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the DVD changer in the trunk and I tried to play a DVD for the first time today, but in the car it does not play the Movie.... it just says 'change'? I also have the DVD's in the rear headrests.... am I doing something wrong?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
First check the obvious: That the disc is not loaded upside down in the magazine, that it is loaded in the slot you are selecting to play (the changer should identify which of the six slots are filled with a disc on the front touchscreen, if it says the slot is empty chances are the disc is upside down), that the disc itself is clean... If there are parental locks - perhaps set by a previous owner - cancel them, make sure the disc is coded for the correct region you are in, etc. Have you tried playing more than one disc with the same results?

Also, what do you mean you have "DVD's in the rear headrests"? The OEM system has a 6-disc DVD changer in the trunk and two headrest LCDs to view them, no DVD players there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply.

Yes I meant screens in the rear of the car. I think I can also watch the DVD's in the front? my car is unlocked so I can watch TV while the car drives.

Yes, the car does say I have a DVD loaded but when I press to play it the screen says no disc in slot. I have tried 6 DVDS this evening all with the same results. The car computer (front screen) does say I have 3 DVDS loaded but just won't play them... I have movedthem from slot to slot with the same results :(

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
:think: Perhaps the laser lens of the player/changer is dirty, then? Run a lens cleaning DVD first, they are inexpensive to buy and it can't hurt to try. Land Rover even sells its own recommended lens cleaner DVD (part # LR019655), but any cleaning disc should do the trick.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mate I tried an audio CD in the DVD player in the trunk and amzingly that played... so now what could it be? I have tried the correct compatible DVD's in the player and the car says NO DVD etc... so what could it be?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Nani said:
I have the DVD changer in the trunk and I tried to play a DVD for the first time today, but in the car it does not play the Movie.... it just says 'change'? I also have the DVD's in the rear headrests.... am I doing something wrong?
I'm having the exact same issue. I've done a little troubleshooting and as far as I can tell mine won't play any DVDs that have a "region" code on them.

For instance, I put 6 movies in with region 1 code. and all say "No Disc"
I put an "unrated" version of "Anchorman" and it plays just fine. I put some of my sons PBS dvds, and they play just fine. It seems there is some issue playing DVDs that have a region code, or somehow my system lost its identity and doesn't know what region code DVDs it is allowed to play.

I called LR dealer in Austin, TX and the guy thought I was crazy.

The battery was recently replaced in my vehicle, so I'm not sure if it lost its mind then or not?

Does anyone know how to reprogram it with the proper region code for US?

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
Some documents of interest for RSES troubleshooting, diagnostics from the shop manual and a couple of bulletins that appeared over the years.
[attachment=2:273y9sz6]06-09RSE-diagnostics.pdf[/attachment:273y9sz6][attachment=1:273y9sz6]LS415-0003.pdf[/attachment:273y9sz6][attachment=0:273y9sz6]LTB00233NAS.pdf[/attachment:273y9sz6]

Attachments

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks Umber!
Went through all the docs.

I did find one interesting code in the documentation which was "Region Code Violation." Which would seem to indicate a problem with the region, which was my suspicion of the problem. I must be wrong?

Either way, I am still completely stumped on this one. I've tried multiple "Region 1" DVDs each with no luck. As soon as I put a "un-regioned" DVD in the same slot in the magazine, it plays just fine. I've even tried brand new DVDs (IE: not scratched, etc.) and they still don't work.

The weird part is that instead of displaying "Region Code Violation" it displays "No Disc"

I still can't find anywhere to determine what Region my DVD player is coded for. I would assume since it has always been in the US, that is coded for Region 1, but again, I don't have a deterministic way of figuring that out.

One bit of troubleshooting I performed this morning was to disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes for all systems to forget everything, reconnect the battery and try to play a Region 1 DVD. Problem persists.

I am completely stumped on this one.

·
Registered
670 Posts
gkwait said:
Thanks Umber!
Went through all the docs.

I did find one interesting code in the documentation which was "Region Code Violation." Which would seem to indicate a problem with the region, which was my suspicion of the problem. I must be wrong?

Either way, I am still completely stumped on this one. I've tried multiple "Region 1" DVDs each with no luck. As soon as I put a "un-regioned" DVD in the same slot in the magazine, it plays just fine. I've even tried brand new DVDs (IE: not scratched, etc.) and they still don't work.

The weird part is that instead of displaying "Region Code Violation" it displays "No Disc"

I still can't find anywhere to determine what Region my DVD player is coded for. I would assume since it has always been in the US, that is coded for Region 1, but again, I don't have a deterministic way of figuring that out.

Say gkwait, I'll assume that you're in the U.S. or at least with a vehicle of U.S. provenance right?
The whole DVD regions thing is a total bummer.

One bit of troubleshooting I performed this morning was to disconnect the battery, wait a few minutes for all systems to forget everything, reconnect the battery and try to play a Region 1 DVD. Problem persists.

I am completely stumped on this one.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Are these copied DVDs? If so, the actual brand of the DVD matters. Verbatim DL are the best for this.

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
11,013 Posts
gkwait said:
Is there a specific les cleaner kit? Is it special to LR? Where would I get one?

Thanks.
Read posted bulletin # 3 above, very specific instructions on how to us the lens cleaner recommended by Land Rover (including its part # if you want to order it yourself.) However, there are many alternatives available in audio / video shops that would probably do just as good a job for less money.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi All,

Did anyone get to the bottom of this.. particularly gkwait. You're having exactly the same problem as me, although seeming randomly I do get the correct 'Region Code Violation' error.

Did you find a way to reset/change the system to your correct region. I know my PC DVD allows 5 changes in its life. I only need one as all the kids DVDs are region 2 and the car's DVD is region 5. I found that out by fluke as we had a region 2 and 5 CD from a few years back when we drove thru Latvia and bought it for the boy's portable player.

Please let me know. Ideally there's some code you can enter or switches on the unit!

Thanks

Bendecko

·
Registered
167 Posts
bendecko,
I have had no luck, and I finished the Internet trying to find such a thing.

I dropped the truck off at the dealer today for some other small things that have been annoying me, and asked him to look at the DVD player issue. It came with no surprise that he looked at me like I was crazy.

Time will tell, I will let you all know what the outcome is. (and no, not a day by day update either :) )

·
Registered
167 Posts
The verdict is they really didn't have an idea what was wrong. They said "its not recognizing DVDs..." Duh.. I told them I could bring them DVDs that do actually play and he said not to worry about it.

He suggested to replace it. Surprise, Surprise, the warranty company doesn't cover DVD players. Guess I need to call and chew some a$$ to get it covered.

The saga continues.

·
Premium Member
1,245 Posts
I read on the UK forum that you can possibly buy the chip directly from the DVD manufacturer to change or unlock the regions. The question is does the chip need to be soldered or whether its plug and play

·
Registered
40 Posts
My 2006 RRS has the same issue, says "No DVD" or whatever. Same with the others, I can play about 10% of DVDs I try. Never figured it to be a region code issue, but that makes a lot of sense. Doesnt surprise me that the LR techs know nothing about it. They didnt know about the Bluetooth upgrade when I told them to upgrade mine, never heard ot the Vesuvius Red roof paint peeling issue and never heard of the 50-70 shimmy.

Add it to the list of things LR will never bother to fix. I still love my rover though!

If anyone fixes this, I'll send you $20.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
24 Participants
d00d
RangeRovers.net Forum
We’re a community forum to discuss and assist on issues with every Range Rover model. Sign up if you have a question, answer or to meet like minded individuals
Full Forum Listing