RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'94 County LWB 2.4

Clementine gets new u-joints on front drive shaft today. I am planning next repair.

Car makes a noise when going over bumps. This is a sound that I can describe exactly.
It sounds just like there is a heavy cardboard box bouncing around in the cargo hold.
There is nothing in the cargo hold except the spare and jack kit.

Anyhow, I (think that I ) know that this noise is coming from under the car.
Since I was so sure that the disintegrating front u-joints was my back seat bracket squeaking,
I am not even going to try to diagnose that sound.

Anyone want to play NAME THAT SOUND?
You guys did such a jam up job on the u-joints...

·
Registered
334 Posts
First thing I would do is take out the jack and the spare tyre and see if you still have the problem. A few other things to check, are your back seats properly clicked to their upright position? What do the bushings look like on the rear shocks?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
282 Posts
yep, in with James on that one - rear shocks a prime suspect - also worth looking at the rear "A" frame ball joint (axle) and bushes (chassis)...get wiggling with a pry bar :wink:

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,118 Posts
I agree - its just the suspension moving around - every time mine goes over a bump it sounds like the exhaust pipe is going to fall off. Personally I wouldn't worry about it unless the handling is crook (er than usual)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Johnno42 - I am pretty sure that it's a suspension thing.
Just saw your signature and must say, you pretty much NAILED IT! I am still laughing.

·
Registered
182 Posts
check upper shock mountsby pushing up on the vehicle from under it and warching gap. mine has the loop style bushings which were worn. You can only get them from Bilstein. they had about 1/16" clearance which was enough. if you post your shock pns i might have the part number info. also check all other suspension parts.

·
Registered
182 Posts
When I did my bushings I stripped the nut on the shock loop end bracket... Replaced the shock bracket last night. MAN, what a difference to have new bushings! Nice and smooth again. This was only about 1/16" play and I can tell you the difference is huge. Yay!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had it too. Definitely the Upper A arm ball joint. It was a big job to get it out. I just bit the bullet and did all the suspension bushings back there while I was at it. Probably overkill, but I look forward to bumps and smile now when I go over them!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts