RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 P38, 129K, LHD

So I've developed a dull knock in the front (seems like drivers side) and recently a slight squeak which seems like the same side but the rear. Last summer I replaced all tie rods, air bags, shocks and sway bar links. I re-checked them but see no issues. The ball joints are OE but I see zero cracks in the rubber. Sway bar bushings look ok as well.

At first I thought it was a loose shock bolt, then maybe bad tie rod. I then re-checked the sway bar links and made sure the air bags were mounted right and not missing the retainer pins.

U-joints are new as well and greased every oil change.

As opposed to start systematically replacing every bushing front and rear is there any litmus test I can do to the ball joints and/or bushings? I see/zero lateral play with the ball joints with the tire off the ground and I have no issues with tire wear or wandering. It may not be related but I do occasionally have shudder in the steering wheel over certain bumps. Not always, but some times. Even though I see no visible damage I was thinking ball joints or radius arm bushings with that. Can't think of what else.

The front radius arm bushings look ok but I can't tell of course for certain. I was leaning to these being the issue or knock only because it seemed like a good place for wear and the knock noise reminded me of an issue with control arms on an old Peugeot I had.

Some one mentioend wheel bearing but I hear no typical bad bearing noise when driving or with the wheel off the ground (not to mention I've never heard of wheel bearing making a knocking noise over bumps).

The rear I see no visible bushing damage.

At a loss currently.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Evoque
339 Posts
Have you checked the motor mounts?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,356 Posts
I recently had a problem with knocking noises over rough ground which I (eventually) traced to the shock absorber mounting bolts.
I had previously fitted new Terrafirma shocks all round but didn't use a torque wrench originally, just good and tight. When I went back and torqued them up to the settings in Rave, the knocking went.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently had a problem with knocking noises over rough ground which I (eventually) traced to the shock absorber mounting bolts.
I had previously fitted new Terrafirma shocks all round but didn't use a torque wrench originally, just good and tight. When I went back and torqued them up to the settings in Rave, the knocking went.
It certainly sounds like that. Visibly they looked ok (Terrafirma as well) but I'll put a wrench to them today.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,356 Posts
Even though I fitted new top mounting bolts on the rear shocks, there was still quite a bit of radial play between the bolt and the top eye of the shocker.
When the correct torque is applied, I think the shock absorber chassis mount must deflect a few thou inwards gripping the bush in the top eye and stopping any movement. That is my theory anyway.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts