RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I just need some help wiring my HEI DUI performancedistributor, I know BATT is positive (obviuos), but, Where do I have to connect the cable that leaves the distributor to the ECM? To Tach on distributor?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Tach, and the vehicle won't run without it plugged in. I put that distributor in mine last year and I love it. I pulled the power from one of the (now unused) coil wires. The only issue I had with mine is that the top cooling hose is a tight fit around the larger DUI cap.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I agree with everything classiconly4me said. I have the DUI and it works perfectly. I split a piece of the old coolant hose and put it on the spot of the top coolant hose where it touched the DUI - no issues.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
268 Posts
Tach, and the vehicle won't run without it plugged in. I put that distributor in mine last year and I love it. I pulled the power from one of the (now unused) coil wires. The only issue I had with mine is that the top cooling hose is a tight fit around the larger DUI cap.
I am considering changing mine to a HEI DUI setup. What model/type distributor did you gentlemen purchase?

Also, what plugs, and gap are you now running?

Thank you,

Chris

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover Classic
1,413 Posts
you can run same plugs, it is advisable to widen the gap to 60 thousands. I'm going away from distributors and moving onto distributor less ignition coils on my classic. a bit more modern same land rover ignition wires and coils with aftermarket controller.

·
Registered
268 Posts
you can run same plugs, it is advisable to widen the gap to 60 thousands. I'm going away from distributors and moving onto distributor less ignition coils on my classic. a bit more modern same land rover ignition wires and coils with aftermarket controller.
Very interested – as this option would be far more efficent.

Have you started a thread; or, is there an external link?

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
Very interested – as this option would be far more efficent.

Have you started a thread; or, is there an external link?
no, no thread more or less mentioned on someone else's thread. I purchased my parts from trigger wheels.com, it is based on ford system thus the kit comes with ford coil pack and ford coil connector.
being I am somewhat of a glutton for punishment or a sadist, I own several rovers and I had a spare set of new rover coils.
for the connector pigtails I went to a junkyard and clipped the coil connector plugs out off a bosh engined rover.

do a forum search for trigger wheels and it comes up, or go to their website. its neat.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I am always looking at distributor options, they fascinate me somehow. So with this design concept, what happens when you want to change the distributer cap (for wear), do you change the whole coil assembly as well? Are the caps available separately?
it is a gm cap and rotor, to replace cap you remove top, unscrew coil and transfer to new cap.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I am always looking at distributor options, they fascinate me somehow. So with this design concept, what happens when you want to change the distributer cap (for wear), do you change the whole coil assembly as well? Are the caps available separately?
Hey JS5D. 95classiclwb is correct. GM style HEI with the coil fastened in the top. Yes, you can get replacement caps and rotors for these fairly inexpensively. If you're tired of the Lucas ignition amplifier gremlin, this is an easy 15 minute upgrade, that yields great results.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hello everyone, only to say is DUi distributors is a piece of art for Range rover classic or Disco1, of course, the diference between a regular HEI GM are the components and price, remember dui handle 50000 volts and is made with specification what you’ve to give in order to run perfect. Megasquirt was the other choice (1st choice to be a submarine, 2nd DUI ). Note: I never had problems with lucas but I was looking for more power and more waterproof. My old lucas was complete sealed but condensation always is a little problem, My new Dui was tested already no silicone, no NADA and those 50000 volts took care of the rest. Installation on my case RRC 92, was just cut the ear that brings the base of power stearing that is to get the engine that is nothing because many say that cut that is like if the car is not going to walk and my question is? Will do haveto get theengine off many times? No and is to many diferents points to do if need it. Second, split the water hose , was done before for autometer thermometer gauge, Third, couple spacer for alternator adjustment bar, now let me post some pics and video

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just about to pull the trigger on the DUI distributor, but wanted final confirmation: is the distributor a drop-in replacement or is their hacking and grinding required? Read a lot of conflicting info. Thanks

1 - 15 of 15 Posts