RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I got a good stainless free flow exhaust from one of my suppliers and so promptly had it fitted.
Wow sounds awesome with a nice deeeeeeeeeep throaty sound but.... as its a dual pipe system from front to back it knocks on the rear axle, pipe is roughly 50mm and both go over the rear axle, there is room to go higher but on letting the Rangie down to the lower position it sits on it big time, looks slike bends arnt quite right but before I proceed in having new rear dual pipes made up to the dual silencers I need to hear from anyone here who has done it other wise its gonna have to go

The power increase is very noticable, power from low end right up and it pulls well, just note its a 96, had a look to see if I could go left on the one side and keep the other as it is but there doesnt seem to be alot of room on the left unless I extend the bump stops which Im considering

·
Premium Member
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
3,622 Posts
Have the pipes dump before the rear axle... problem solved and it would be bad ass.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
kmagnuss said:
Have the pipes dump before the rear axle... problem solved and it would be bad ass.
funny you should say that..........I was talking to a mate of mine yesterday, and we both said how good it would be to have the exhaust exiting in the side panels of the bumper I made
[attachment=0:1gk36sn4]side-done.jpg[/attachment:1gk36sn4]

Right behind the rear wheel, in the side panel of the bumper.
Back on topic, sorry.... :oops:

Martin

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
I've seen several Discos with the exhaust port in the rear bumper side. Looks nice.

Mine are sawzalled right after the axle.

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
kmagnuss said:
I think I just creamed myself. Do it!
Not an image I need in my head...... /:(
Currently making some ramps for the car trailer, to make securing the kids dirt bikes a lot easier to tie down.
No bumper stuff ready yet, but I will ask Dennis if he wants a holes cut out of the side panel when his bumpers are done......

Martin

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
It has been done

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I was thinking about dumping before the axle but I think it wouldnt be too ideal but could easily be incorparated into rock sliders :doh:

·
JACK'S GRANDAD
9,242 Posts
viperover said:
Yeah I was thinking about dumping before the axle but I think it wouldnt be too ideal but could easily be incorparated into rock sliders :doh:
Someone mention rock sliders? :lol:
I know, shipping would be a real MoFo....

Martin

·
Registered
405 Posts
Jsmooth65 said:
Mine are sawzalled right after the axle.
I was thinking of dumping before the rear axle, but I had read in another thread that it could prove problematic with regards to the fumes, and possibly the heat from the exhaust affecting some of the parts underneath. I can't think of any problems like that...

But if I do decide to hack it off with my sawzall, does anybody see any harm in simply leaving the pipes the way they are, or should I extend them either to the side or the back?

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
777 Posts
I would try to have it expel the exhaust from under the body. Sitting in traffic on a hot day could cause some heat build up with the exhaust dumping under the body, otherwise if you can keep moving I don't see any problems with it, aside from local laws/regulations.

Since modifying the rear section of my exhaust I've noticed, with the air suspension, you have to be careful where you position the pipe(s). They may not contact the frame at the stationary height your at, but in another height you may have contact. I have a slight rattling in standard mode which I need to fix before it drives me insane.

·
Registered
966 Posts
I had to get some exhaust hanging material (like $5 at the parts store) to hang the dual exhaust Y-portion under the spare wheel well, otherwise it would rest on the axle. Its still set up exiting after the axles, and it doesn't really build up fumes, since the truck sits fairly high. My muffler was rattling too, so I had to put a fat hose clamp around it. As you can tell, my exhaust system needs to be redone, and I am thinking of getting the Magna single exhaust setup from AB.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
777 Posts
Jsmooth65 said:
I had to get some exhaust hanging material (like $5 at the parts store)
I shamelessly got mine from the bedroom closet. Actually I have a stash of metal coat hangers in the garage, just for these occasions.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Andy, your rig looks great and then I read that you've got a 5.0 in there `8)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
After all this....I went and had my local tyre and exhaust place do me a new full free flow as per original build.

Sadly though it doesnt make that muscle car sound which was kinda nice but knew in the end it wouldnt be right cos after all the rangie isnt a sports car

I'll take pics of the system I had in as has a few flanged joins so was easily remvoved with out hacking away.
Ideal for a spring conversion type rangie due to clearance issues.

Anyone in SA who is after a good freeflow dual stainless exhaust can PM, regret its not for free but will go cheap

·
Registered
31 Posts
This is easy. I had a custom dual exhaust built for my Classic SWB from the headers back. All you need to do is tuck the pipes higher up against the under body. If you need to or feel it is going to be too hot in that location get either a heat sheild welded in or get header wrap for that location. You don't want it to touch as that will cause a squeak. Also you should make sure that it is tucked as centered to the axle pivot point as possible to keep from touching under full articulation during off road. If you want a really cool look have the pipes tuck up high into the corners near the quarter panel and then loop down so the pipe holes are almost facing completely down but not showing passed the body panels. Not only does this keep water from coming into the exhaust system from high water fording but during start up on cold days you will see the exhaust pushing down. Really cool look.

Do you have a sound clip of the exhaust under idle and under rev, also under full acceleration? What is the sound difference inside the truck? Is it droning and obnoxious or quite inside vs. outside? I'm looking to change mine out to something more free flowing as this will give me much better MPG, but I'm concerned the "Woman" won't like the sound in the cab.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I had the dual system on it sound very much like the muscle cars do but once on the move it was really quite and smooth, no drooning at all which surprised me.

Pull awy was very progressive and smooth, its the same now but without the cop attention grabbing sound.

The new system is 57mm through with only two boxes, one largish in the middle and one on tail end.
Both boxes made by Bosal and system is new front to back

I had to supervise as the guys wanted to do what they wanted, when it was all finished they then knew why I was being so
fussy.

Boy I wish I could get my hands on a decent pipe bender cos I know I could do a dual system my self and it would be the best

·
Registered
189 Posts
Thanks for the comment Diff - yes had a creme de la creme rebuild to 5.0l - now she goes how they always should have - thought about 'upgrading' to the series 3 - but there is something about my P38 that I just love (apart from the squeaky trim and the noisy accumulator and the dodgy remote ......) - besides it looks a million times better I reckon than the series 3 - so I rebuilt the engine because I'm going to have her for a long time.

My exhaust has a lovely rumble when it starts although it is a bit noisy and the wife doesn't like it - but at speed say - 60 kph and up it really backs off and is not much noisier than the standard.

Here are a couple more pics

http://img25.imageshack.us/i/67405ab2.jpg/

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/4e325bd9.jpg/

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/4e325bd9.jpg/

http://img14.imageshack.us/i/1a18b204.jpg/

Andy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts