RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have been as passive follower of this great forum for some time
I have a bog standard 1996 4.0 USA spec. I have owned this Range rover for over 8 years and have experienced nearly all the problems encountered by most of the members.
The RR has recently been shipped to from the USA to the Republic of Ireland and then driven to England and shipped back to the USA.(its a long story) I am currently in Houston Texas.
I have fitted a dual battery system: yellow / red optima with a battery manager system supplied by Wrangler (Portland OR)
The installation requires a power feed that is energized on 'run' only (not accessory or start).
this has got me stumped.
Anybody with experience with this product and installation?
thanks

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
"RUN" only is simply any circuit in your rig that only operates with the ignition on VS full time batery or start triggered power for timed circuits. Where are you placing your control unit? Depending on it's location we might give a good suggestion for a tap wire. Inside would be the cigar lighter as it is run only.under the hood you have a slew of circuits fron the fuse box.. Depending on amp draw you may wish this trigger to be relay activated to protect your BeCM

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi rrtoadhall
Thanks for your reply:
The dual optimas are mounted adjacent and lengthways in the existing battery bay.
The battery manager (relay) is mounted to the fuse box support (below the fuse box) in the engine bay behind the engine control circuit (plastic) housing.

The switch to control 3 way battery management is located on the drivers kick panel.
It is the power source to this switch that requires the run only supply.

Thanks

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
That sounds like a good setup :). Any pics of the install ?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: Dual battery from install Pics

Hi 966Turbo
Here are some installation pics
sorry some are upside down
the large capacity solenoid is mounted below the fuse box.
I need to locate a safe source of power for the lead that controls the solenoid
Wrangler instructions = source to run only
any suggestions
Thanks
Paul

Attachments

·
LEGACY VENDOR
2,492 Posts
Good work. Did you secure those?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Cigar lighter is easiest power source to get at that is "run only".

BTW shouldn't the second terminal on the yellow battery be connected to something?

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the responses
966 Turbo The batteries are a tight fit also the original securing bar works quite well

SpudH Yes the other red bat lead from the solenoid... (both bats, in parallel) however until I have found a safe source for the 'run' only power to control the solenoid I am not taking the risk of adding the 2nd bat. into the circuit.

Would not the cigar lighter qualify as an accessory circuit ? and work with ign. in accessory mode.
I also have tapped into this source for power to the ICE TFT monitors in h/rests

paul

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
another good source of power then is the main engine ecm relay, it feeds the ecm, fuel injectors and AFM. In my car its used on the aftermarket LPG install. It will only be live while the ignition is in the two position, thus engine running or a split second before starting, also it remains live for about 10 -15 seconds after turning the car off for the ecm to reset the idle air flow valve and a few other bits n pieces.

Otherwise trace the ignition switch lines and just use that for power.

As stated by others above and its excellent advice, isolate your battery device with a relay.....

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
977 Posts
Thanks for the responses
966 Turbo The batteries are a tight fit also the original securing bar works quite well

SpudH Yes the other red bat lead from the solenoid... (both bats, in parallel) however until I have found a safe source for the 'run' only power to control the solenoid I am not taking the risk of adding the 2nd bat. into the circuit.

paul
Good idea. Since both batts in parallel, can't it be connected without that gadget ? will it be an issue other than isolating each battery.

rgds

1 - 10 of 10 Posts