RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have been driving my 06 FFRR SC for about a month now. No problems until I went to get it inspected-Right before getting there, the CEL comes on. P2098, Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean Bank 2. I thought maybe it was a vacuum leak as I'd heard a hissing under the hood for a while near the PCV. However, if I plug the tube that goes from the intake tube to the valvecover on the drivers side, the noise stops. I replaced the pcv valve, no change in the noise. Pulling the oil dipstick out makes it louder. I removed all the corrugated lines, replaced the o-rings, and made sure they were leak free. After all this, I discover that the sound is normal!

In any event, we smoke tested the intake system and are leak free. What's the next step here? I've read that the MAF is often the culprit, but I have doubts as it is just one bank. I was considering replacing that rear o2, or switching the wires to see if the code changes to reflect it.

I have no exhaust leaks either.

I have JLR SDD installed and working. I can log the adaptive trims if that helps? Would just need a brief "how to"

Additionally, I am preparing to do a full service as well.

Spark plugs, PCV (obviously), ignition capacitor, and replace the supercharger to intercooler ducts (one of mine is a bit oily, so you know it's permeable).

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
527 Posts
yesterday i unscrewed everything for that hissing sound coulndt understand where it comes.

i thought air leak on pcv hose eather. pcv is new but the noise is very annoying.

maybe the orings on pcv hose needs to be replaced.

Found nothing on engine. but still got sime issues. i m suspecting on ignition capasitor, coolant temperature sensor, fuel pressure sensor and fuel temperature sensor.

i have misfires on 8 cyclinder and very low rpm on starts. and big mpg.

please share some photos on ignition capasitor and the process.

for maf sensor you need to find donor truck and test it the second maf.

interesting thing for MAF you can find very cheap one. chinese firm Patron has a maf sensor for mazda6 2006 its exact same maf for range rover but 5 times cheaper than denso.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the suggestions. I have a parts truck, I could swap out the MAF if necessary and give it a try, but given as it's just one bank, I'd lean more towards that not being the solution.

I ordered a set of new rear o2 sensors, going to replace them when I do the tuneup!

·
Registered
687 Posts
i have the same issue on my 06SC same 2098 code. i replaced both rear sensors and had the entire exhaust system / intake everything checked for leaking, found nothing. The mechanic i go to believes it's a "software" issue, been too lazy to take it to the dealership though. If you do find the solution keep us updated.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I ordered all 4 sensors (OE Denso) and a full exhaust (Magnaflow). With any luck, I find something :)

I also went with an overdriven supercharger pulley, and plan to do some ecu tuning whilst at it :)

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since my last post I have replaced the rear o2 sensors and exhaust. Cleared adaptations, no faults have returned (100 miles). I recently checked adaptations with SDD, screenshots below:

My question is what's the threshold at which the MIL is illuminated?

From the binary I see the following in Adaptation counter threshold for lean side judgment: 15 percent.

What do my trims say about the condition?

I will be replacing the ignition capacitor, sparkplugs, primary o2 sensors, and investigating my supercharger pump wiring/replacing the pump (P2601 is the only stored fault, reduced engine performance after long hard driving), as well as tending the the unrelated: My AC doesn't work, I'll be replacing the compressor, belts, and supercharger pulley/oil while in there.

Something of note, I feel/hear a difference in the engine now that I have the exhaust. To most it'd be imperceptible, but you can feel the power sort of drop off a bit when you get on it. and hear the exhaust note change. It gurgles a little. Not as severe as a misfire, but not as smooth as I feel it should be. It does it a bit more near redline, but I can feel and have verified that's an intentional torque limiting function for the transmission. It's running fairly well for the most part, a 600 mile round trip (the one during which the fault was thrown) I managed to average 22.9 mpg.

In any event, I feel as though incomplete combustion would be most pronounced with the WOT fuel trims. Incorrect? Given the state of some of the maintenance it seems unlikely the previous owners ever changed the spark plugs, so I guess that's a good start. I'm not sure how many people are paying attention to my ramblings, but I'll post updates regardless.

TL;DR:

Lots of relatively small things to sort.

FINAL BIT OF INFORMATION:

During cold starts, if the temperature is below ~50F, the truck will stall immediately after starting. If you feather the throttle for a moment it runs fine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
the stalling at cold temperatures is a known issue the power control ECU needs a software update. as for the P2601 it's your aux coolant pump for the supercharger, another common issue, most likely failing or has failed. Thanks for the p2098 info keep us posted if it comes back. i still need to fix my p2098.

·
Premium Member
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the stalling at cold temperatures is a known issue the power control ECU needs a software update.
Software is up to date, and it stalled today when I started it (68 degrees).

Something is wrong.

I could increase the afterstart engine speed, but I feel as though there's an actual reason for this.

·
Registered
527 Posts
ddillenger this a good post, keep writing.
i always thought the software is the main problem.

Ddillenger please take some photos for Aux pump. how to replace it and how to fix the miss wiring issue.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Also fighting with P2098. Checked all intake manifold - no leakage. Swapped downstream O2s left and right - no results. Tracked wires from downstream sensors to ECM and swapped lines of left and right O2s directly at engine computer - still problem at bank #2
Suspect the ECM or the software, cause after swapping the lines the problem had to follow to the bank #1
Anyone else solved this problem?

·
Banned
901 Posts
Is your outside temp registering ok? I have read on here that a bad outside thermometer can lead to the lean codes but i dont know.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Also fighting with P2098. Checked all intake manifold - no leakage. Swapped downstream O2s left and right - no results. Tracked wires from downstream sensors to ECM and swapped lines of left and right O2s directly at engine computer - still problem at bank #2
Suspect the ECM or the software, cause after swapping the lines the problem had to follow to the bank #1
Anyone else solved this problem?

I was battling this code for a long time, i also swapped the o2 sensors with no result. In the end what actually fixed the issue was 2 brand new OEM( dont use aftermarket) sensors, which has completely fixed the problem.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Is your outside temp registering ok? I have read on here that a bad outside thermometer can lead to the lean codes but i dont know.
i am suspecting every temperature sensor on my range rover.

i have very good mpg and flawless car on 24C if the outside temperature is under 0 i have problems with my engine.
i have already low compression on 7-8 cylinders. 8,5 the other ones are 10.

my main problem is my car is not warming itself, i have to push acceleration pedal.

i rebuild my fuel system, pcv system, supercharger unit, sparks every thing even i replaced iginition capasitor, fuel pressure sensor everything.

the soft is new.

if the engine is warm i have a good monster.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts