RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
DTC Code P2406 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit High

Vehicle is a 2006 HSE with the Jag 4.4L engine. Yesterday, the check engine light came on. I pulled the code with a generic reader (laptop and TouchScan) and it showed the following: Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit High - DTC Code P2406. I cleared the code, and it didn't immediately return. I checked the gas cap, and it seems to fit fine.

Searching the forums for this code didn't return any results.

Any ideas as to what would cause this code? I'm about to hit the road for a 500 mile journey - should I be concerned, or can I deal with this when I get back?

Thanks in advance. Jon

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: DTC Code P2406 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Hi

I cleared the code, but the light came back after about a week. This time the code is P2402 - "Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Control Circuit High" I'm thinking it could be the charcoal canister or the leak check pump. Does anyone know where these are located?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Re: DTC Code P2406 - Evaporative Emission System Leak Detection Pump Sense Circuit Hi

I made a thread a couple of days ago in regard to the BMW code p0443 which is an evap emissions code... sounds similar, look on the first or second page for the thread.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Thanks, Brad. It appears that this is part of the EVAP system, which I now know a whole lot more about. I spent some time and money on TOPIx (the on-line manual for 2006 and up Land Rovers) last night. According to the manual, both code P2402 and P2406 relate to the Diagnostic module fuel tank leak (DMTL) pump (available from atlantic british for about $145.00 by the way). The fixes for these two codes (P2402 and P2406) listed in the TOPIx manual are (1) check wiring to the DMTL, (2) check for any blockages in the DMTL ventilation pipe & filter, and (of course) (3) replace the DMTL pump. THE DMTL pump is next to the fuel filler hose - access is apparently through the RH rear wheel liner. I haven't opened that up yet, but that's the next step. Rave describes a similar procedure for the 2003-2005 Range Rovers.

Once I get into it, I'll post my results in case it helps others.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
25 Posts

Looking forward to your findings. My '03 has a similar problem. I'll dig around the leak detection pump this evening and see what I can turn up.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I opened up the RH rear wheel arch. If you jack up the vehicle from the lifting poing right in front of the rear wheel, you don't need to take the wheel off to remove the cover. I found the instructions for 2003-2005 RRs on RAVE and have attached the page.
View attachment DMTL R and R.PDF
I unplugged the electrical connector, but it seemed to be fitting just fine. I did not undo the vent pipe - it's attached with one-time-use hose clamps, and I didn't want to potentiall cause a leak. So, all I've accomplished to date is to establish that I could replace the DMTL if needed. Right now, the truck is not showing any codes, but if it throws another one, I may bite the bullet and replace the pump.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Is it possible to jump out the harness on the chassis side? If that's doable the code should be able to be cleared and not return. Not saying it's a fix but it will narrow down the speculation of the Leak Detection Pump being the problem.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Update: I bought the pump and installed it about a week ago. I undid one of the single-use hose clamps and used a screw-type hose clamp in its place. It's about a half-hour of work (at my pace, which is slow). No need to remove the wheel, but I did jack the car up to get more clearance to remove the fender liner.

So far, no more check engine light. Keeping my fingers crossed that this solved the problem. Hope this is of use to someone who may experience the same issue. And a shout-out to Atlantic British for getting me the part in a super-fast manner.

Jon

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,997 Posts

thanks for the update,
would you be able to post a picture of the part you removed,
and can it be taken apart?,
maybe if you dont want it,
I would have a closer look to see if it can be fixed or tested for function

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I will gladly send you the old part, with the proviso that you post whatever you discover for the benefit of the rest of us. PM me with your address and I'll try to get it out early next week.

Jon

·
Registered
25 Posts

Sounds good! I'll be replacing mine, hopefully next weekend.

·
Registered
2010 SC 5.0 Range Rover MkIII / L322
1,997 Posts

JON PM sent thanks, Stan

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
2 Posts

I just joined the group. THANK YOU!! for the awesome info regarding the DMTL pump. I've got an '06 RR Sport HSE, and according to the local dealership, its defective.

I"ve done all the brakes and a couple oil changes on mine since ownership, so...how daunting is this job for a piano player?...and the repair procedure came from what publication?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
Hey all,

Sorry to bring up an old thread but I'm sure other new RR owners are probably experiencing this issue as well, just like me.

I purchased a 2012 RRS Supercharged just a few weeks ago and after a week of ownership, I got the dreaded CEL.
A friend helped me run a scan and these are the codes the popped up (see image) We cleared the codes and the CEL came back about 4 days later. I'm assuming its for the same issue as I have not yet had a chance to rescan.

Started looking into the first two codes (P2406 and P2402) and looks like its a pretty common issue?
Looks like this is the replacement part I will need correct?

http://www.roverparts.com/Parts/WTR500030

Anyone else who's done this replacement have any longer term feedback? Did the CEL come back with these issues again? or did it clear it up for good?

Next I need to take a look into the P0232 - Fuel Pump A - Secondary Circuit High code...not really sure what this is at the moment. Anyone else have this code?
A for the last one, with it being historic, is it something I need to worry about?

Thanks all and hopefully by me bumping this, other new owners will find some more feedback!

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
E30, did replacing your DMTL end up fixing your problem?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just popped the P2406 code. No matter how many times I reset it, it returns on the next restart. My plan is to pull the DMTL, clean connections and orifices, and go from there.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
10 Posts
E30, did replacing your DMTL end up fixing your problem?
I still havn't done anything. Just been too busy.
I've been told from some other mechanics and an indie shop that its not something that will affect your car in a negative way. If anything, if there is a bit of a leak, its more of an environmental issue than anything. At least I hope thats the truth because my wife's been driving around with the light on for a few months now! Just havn't had time to go into it. The other thing thats holding me back is it sounds like on the earlier models of the RR, its easier to access...but on bit newer one (I have a 2012), some things have been moved around in there and it is not as easy to access that part for replacement.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just as a follow up I ended up replacing the DMTL just recently and that did get rid of both the P2406 & P2402 code. I ended up just doing it at my Indy shop as I don't have the time either to really mess around with things. Was right around $400 out the door. 250 for the pump and 150 for labor.

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Classic, Rover Evoque 2012
2 Posts
I just joined this forum because this post help me with p2406 code. I had the work done this week and after 100mls or so code s gone.. I have pictures of how is was done but won't let me post since I am new here... Thanks everyone!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts