RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just put another engine in my DSE due to the old one expiring in a cloud of smoke and steam, now it wont start, cranks over fine but wont fire.
I have bled the fuel system. there is fuel getting in to the injectors. There is unburned diesel coming out the exhaust when cranking.

What could be the issue? i am out of ideas...

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

·
Registered
373 Posts
have you missed any of the multi plugs?eg the one for the glow plugs? was the engine out of a range rover or a bmw(the bmw ones use a different electronic's on the fuel pump)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Double checked all connections, engine out of a range rover same year as mine (98)

Could the ecu have become "unsynced" when i disconnected the battery?

·
Registered
373 Posts
have you tried to crack off all the injector pipes until all you get is diesel from them.? i would still check the connections again just incase. have you got power going to the glow plugs as they will need a shot of heat to start.

·
Registered
373 Posts
if i remember, it is possible to get the flexi plate on "wrong" so the engine thinks the timing is on number 1 but its on one of the other cylinders,i can't remember where i saw the post but he had to take his engine out and re-fit the flexi plate.maybe someone else will know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
have you tried to crack off all the injector pipes until all you get is diesel from them.? i would still check the connections again just incase. have you got power going to the glow plugs as they will need a shot of heat to start.
Cracked the injectors off and got diesel at all of them, no4 is connected and i have 12v at the glow plugs.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
if i remember, it is possible to get the flexi plate on "wrong" so the engine thinks the timing is on number 1 but its on one of the other cylinders,i can't remember where i saw the post but he had to take his engine out and re-fit the flexi plate.maybe someone else will know.
The engine came out of a running DSE and the flex plate hasnt been removed from the engine, so should be fine.

·
Registered
373 Posts
:) if its got heat, fuel(at the right time),and spins over it should start.....has the crank sensor been plugged back in or has it been damaged?.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
:) if its got heat, fuel(at the right time),and spins over it should start.....has the crank sensor been plugged back in or has it been damaged?.
Thats what i thought, the crank sensor is plugged in and gap set correctly.

Would the ecu losing its sync cause the issue i have?

·
Registered
373 Posts
not sure. i thought if the ecu has a wobble then it won't turn over,but i could well be wrong. with this site is its 99% usa members and they dont have the diesel. have a look on face book there are loads of p38 forums. good luck. you could try the crank sensor from your old engine.

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
Hi

Did you change the ecu with the engine? I read somewhere that the fuel pump has to be matched with the ecu and the (replacement) ecu has to be synchronised with the BECM.

Regards

Jos

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
not sure. i thought if the ecu has a wobble then it won't turn over,but i could well be wrong. with this site is its 99% usa members and they dont have the diesel. have a look on face book there are loads of p38 forums. good luck. you could try the crank sensor from your old engine.
Ill give it a go tomorrow, had a bit too much wine now to start fiddling again. thanks for your help, i'll report back tomorrow.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi

Did you change the ecu with the engine? I read somewhere that the fuel pump has to be matched with the ecu and the (replacement) ecu has to be synchronised with the BECM.

Regards

Jos
No the ecu is the original one that was in my car, i thought the ecu's worked with any pump of the correct type but wondered if i may have upset the ecu when i disconnected and reconnected the battery a couple of times.

·
Registered
373 Posts
if the fuel pump is supplying fuel,then it should run,the only other thing i can think of is when the engine was removed did they place a bung in the end of the inlet manifold to stop any dirt etc getting in,pull the turbo hose off the inlet and have a look.
as you have heat,you have fuel,the engine is turning over,the only thing we have not made sure of is air, if there is a bung the manifold then that would explain it.
if the ecu is shut down,then i would have thought you would have 0 fuel from the pump and have a msg on the dash saying engine disabled.

·
Registered
373 Posts
can you post a vid of it trying to start. are the numbers the same on the inj pumps? i have posted your post on another forum(hope u dont mind)

·
Registered
373 Posts
The Injector pumps are coded to the ecu and the BECM so if you are using the one from the replacement engine it will need to be coded. is one of the replies from another forum

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
It is news to me about the FIP being coded to the engine ECU (known as the Bosch EDC). There are some fine settings for the pump in the EDC but it should not prevent running with a different FIP. I have not changed my FIP however, so may be wrong, but as long as you get the right one it should run, imho. As mentioned, it must be a p38 DSE FIP. A BMW one uses a different protocol.

The Bosch EDC has a unique EMS code in it which is set at the factory. It is this code that needs to be entered into the BECM. It is easy to swap Bosch EDC's by just changing the EMS code in the BECM. However you have used the original EDC so it should not need changing. However, the BECM as it gets older has a habit of forgetting the EMS code. It sometimes needs to be written back into the BECM. This is called resyncing. If it does not see the correct code it will not start. It may have lost the sync when you disconnected the battery.

Also if the FIP on the new engine has been rotated to alter the mechanical timing or the HDK electrical unit on top of the pump has been moved, it will alter the timing.
You need to get some diagnostics done on the car to see what is going on I think.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have just re read your post again. If it is turning over and there is unburnt fuel coming out of the exhaust, it must be a timing problem.

Double check the fuel to the injectors first by getting someone to turn the engine over while you slacken off a union to an injector. It should spray out under pressure. Try a couple.

If it still won't start and fuel is getting through it must be the timing.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts