RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always used Mobil 1 20-50W Syn. in my 99 Bosch HSE 156K, but used 10-30W about 3 weeks ago. Now I am having dry starts after about 4-5 hours of sitting. Would that little of a difference in wt. make her do that? I changed wt because of cold weather coming. Should I dump the oil and go back to 20-50W?

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
865 Posts
I'd go 10W40, depends on brand of oil you are using problems like these are not uncommon
or you have a hyd lifter or 2 going

·
Registered
139 Posts
I know a lot of people don't want to hear this, but I swear by it. There IS scientific research that a good molybdenum teflon additive can help.

I am not exaggerating, when I had my 94 classic rover, it suffered dry starts. I began using a teflon additive from MPT Industries. Sometimes I use "Greased Lightening" from O'Reillys. Immediately after I began adding with new oil change in 94, and added with every oil change, DRY STARTS COMPLETELY ELIMINATED.

I then used it on a TR7 (excellent results), a lotus esprit and my latest rover (2001 P38). No vehicle I use it on has any dry starts. I used it on a 1954 Jeep willy. The engine was taken down for a burned exhaust valve (caused by not using lead subst. in gas, nothing to do with oil). Mechanic noted engine was like the day it was built, no signs of engine wear. I also use the gear additive from MPT on my vehicles with standard gear boxes.

All I can tell you is the molybdenum sticks to the metal and I can assure you no matter how some people do not like it, you will not have dry starts if you start using it.

·
Registered
665 Posts
sounds like a bad oil filter that lets the oil drain back. try a new filter

·
Registered
922 Posts
10W-30W is getting on the thin side. what''s more, Mobil1 is not an optimum choice because, being so "slippery" it does not promote the rotation of lifters and push rods necessary to minimise wear. MobiL 1 is a fine product for cars with roller cams/rockers, not the old fashioned flat tappet setup of our belove RRs. change to a good mineral -based oil like Castrol Magnatec 10-40. AND renew the filter as recommended above.

I personally use 4L Magnatec 10-40 plus 1L of Magnatec 15-40W (diesel engine formulation) at the change. The diesel stuff is great for keeping internals clean! :D
cheers

1 - 5 of 5 Posts