RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover MkIII / L322
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. Recent weather in Boston had left everything pretty much underwater.

Long story short, I drove my car through some really deep water on a flooded overpass. The water did come over the hood a little. Immediately, this weird steam started filling the cabin, and it smelled awful. I'm assuming it was the cold water hitting the brakes, etc.

It's been 10 hours since this happened. My headlights have fogged up and haven't de-fogged since. I inspected the rear tire cover and didn't see any signs of water intrusion. I opened the hood as well and there is some water near the battery but otherwise everything looks really dry.

No warning lights or anything of that nature. It drives perfectly - no issues.

A few things have left me concerned though. The foggy headlights - will they clear up when it stops raining? And the weird smell I still get when I turn on my AC. It lasts for about 10 seconds then goes away. Will this stop eventually?

I was thinking of taking the car to the dealer just to be on the safe side and have them inspect everything. Maybe have them change the fluids or something? I'm not sure.

I'm very nervous and just want to take all the right steps to ensure hat I did not mess my car up. I made a huge mistake driving through that water - lesson learned.

Thanks for taking the time to read this post. Trying my best to stay optimistic.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
I would not get too worried just yet, I have forded deep water many time in old Chevy Z71 and Jeep JKU Rubicon. Here are some things you may wish to check:

-See if you can find a hazy/dirty water-line in the engine compartment.
-Air Filters (including Cabin Air Filter) for debris and water soaking.
-Low electrical connections (below water-line) and alternator (I am surprised how low it is mounted). Connection can be disconnected, dried, cleaned and lubed with dielectric grease before re-connecting.
-Below carpet in cab. Surprised that you found no water below the spare tire?
-Consider changing Differentials Fluid, Transfer Case, and Transmission Fluid. I am new to RR, but there are usually breathers on top that can aspirate water (maybe not on transmission?).

Wish I had a recommendation for the lights other than replacing them. Best of luck getting it all sorted.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
flipster, for the lights : remove two round covers and use hair dryer to dry inside the light housing.

20170902_114509.jpg

:thumb:

·
Registered
456 Posts
Check the cabin filter. May have gotten wet, causing the interior smell. Just dry or replace if so.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
880 Posts
I think you checked the main things. The manual even discusses fording, so the car is designed for it. At their current age, frequently plugs have been removed and left out, filling areas like the wheel well...but you sound like you are good there.

I would rinse the undercarriage well in a car wash in case there was salt in the water. Then, at your next oil change, plan to change/check ALL the fluids, including oil, tranny, power steering trnsfer case, and differentials.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just an update. Thank you so much for the tips everyone. I took those little caps off the headlights and dried them out - they are clearing up wonderfully.

Only weird thing was this morning - I went to start my car and the dash lit up like a Christmas tree with tons of random faults and warnings. I shut the car off and restarted it and all the faults dissapeared. Should I be concerned over this?

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
52 Posts
Years ago I had a similar issue with my headlights. I took matters into my own hands, I took my cordless drill and pit a very small bit the size of a trim nail in it. I located the very bottom of the light housing and drilled a small hole on a angle upwards. You can't see the hole and water from rain or the wiper cleaner could not get in since the hold was made on a upward angle. In 24 hours all was clear.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Breathers are all up high so water doesn't get sucked in to diffs/tranny. It's a Range Rover, they were designed to drive through water the height of the tires...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
SUPER MODERATOR
2010-2012 Range Rover Sport
1,986 Posts
Did it wet your pants or carpet? I would do a complete flush and drain and replace all fluids and dry the interior if it got wet. If it didn’t get wet, that’s an awesome car to drive and ford floodwaters.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No water did not get into the car at all. I drove through it for maybe 5 seconds. The passenger floor carpet and drivers carpet were a little wet but I attributed that to the rainy weather. Dried them out, though. Rear carpets were all dry, as well as spare tire compartment.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
102 Posts
Breathers are all up high so water doesn't get sucked in to diffs/tranny. It's a Range Rover, they were designed to drive through water the height of the tires...

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
880 Posts
Most of the electronics are in the big box on the right side under the bonnet. Since you got those random faults you might want to pop the top off and make sure it is dry inside.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did it wet your pants or carpet? I would do a complete flush and drain and replace all fluids and dry the interior if it got wet. If it didn’t get wet, that’s an awesome car to drive and ford floodwaters.
Woke up this morning to drive and the steering wheel is SO stiff and hard to turn. Uh oh. What do u think is wrong here?

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIII / L322
165 Posts
his is mechanical pump belt driven. most likely it is Servotronic valve.

20180305_212338.jpg 20180305_212415.jpg

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to post another update on this thread.

The car runs and drives perfect, everything is operational at 100%. However, there is a slight whining noise coming from the front of the engine now, as well as the headlights have become all clouded up due to the moisture inside them. I'm assuming the noise is from the power steering pump, as the wheel has become more difficult to turn.

I will be taking my car to an Indy shop (overlander in malden, ma), and I'm going to have them diagnose exactly what's going on with it. I have the adaptive bi-xenon headlamps on my car which are about $3800 a pair, and god only knows how much potentially fixing the power steering pump will cost.

With that said, I have called my insurance company and explained to them what happened. They agreed to cover the damages as long as I pay my deductible - which I will be doing.

I will update this post again tomorrow for anyone who is following it. Thanks so much for be feedback and help, I really appreciate it :).

·
Registered
880 Posts
Start by changing the power steering fluid. Insurance is likely going to fight you on every mechanical item...arguing it was not water damage that caused it. Good luck!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Update #47364288:

Just spoke to Indy shop. They said power steering pump is toast, which explains the weird whining noise - as well as needing new headlights as way too much water found its way inside and is puddling. Shop is working with insurance company to get everything covered - will post more results tomorrow :).

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Updating again for anyone who is following....

Shop called today and said they noticed my transmission was holding gears/working harder than it should be. They also said water may have gotten into it, and that they are going to replace the transmission.

They also said that the insurance adjuster has yet to come out - and that they will "total" my car if "salt water" got into it. I tried to explain to them that in no way shape or form did salt water even get into this car (it didn't). It seems very odd that the insurance company would total this car - as it has no miles and is in immaculate condition.

I have a funny feeling this shop may be trying to inflate the bill with the whole "water in the transmission" thing, as I personally did not notice anything wrong with it.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I would not let him do ANYTHING expensive until the insurance approves it. I think the Indy is trying to do you a favor by getting things replaced for “free”, but my experience is that insurance will not cover it unless you can PROVE it’s water ingress that caused the damage.

Straight out of the manual...if you go through a lot of water, change all the fluids first!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts