RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to the forum, and after pouring over your informative posts, I'm concerned about driving both long distance and far from dealerships where I live, as the Full size RR seems to have reliability issues although many are electrical info type items which don't keep you from driving with confidence. I currently use Rubicons as my 4WDs which are easy to service almost anywhere and are very reliable.

My target is an LWB RR with 20" wheels so I can carry a full size 20" spare in the wheel well.

Because of my wheel choice, there are no used/proven RRs for sale and I must order a new one, exposing me to the glitches described by many here.

I never turn on the radio so info glitches are meaningless to me, just driving related.

If any can bolster my confidence in driving reliability, your comments would be greatly appreciated, as would those which don't:)

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have driven many JLR cars/suv since 2009.

2009 Jag XJ Supersport with 510 HP same engine as RR v8.
2012 LR4 v8 - only car I have ever own and still do 70K miles
2013 RR v8
2014 LWB RR v8
2016 LWB RR v8
2017 Discovery v6

I still have 2012 LR4, 2016 RR LWB v8, and 2017 Discovery. All have been been great.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have no issues to drive mine twice a year from NYC to Florida and back.
If I understood correctly you want to order the car only because 20" wheels ? Why can't you buy wheels on Ebay ? There are hundreds of OEM brand new wheels/tires that people take off of their trucks for whatever reasons and sell.

·
Administrator
27,820 Posts
"Take Offs" are because many folks buying Range Rovers with more flash and bling. They sell what ever comes on the Rover and the brand new tires for what ever they can get... It helps with the cost of their "upgraded rims" and new tires. There is nothing wrong with eBay take offs. If you do a distance search of 100 miles you may find ones you like and arrange to pick them up same day and save shipping.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover MkIV / L405
29 Posts
I have experienced some of the software glitches but they never affect the ability to drive the vehicle. The infotainment system is totally separate from the rest of the car with different software.

Also, the reliability has improved massively and I reckon the latest 18D update should be close to 100% reliable now.

·
Registered
117 Posts
The driving reliability of the new ones is totally fine. Generally the car can just have some iPhone/music playback whims but I've not heard of nearly any actual issues with being able to get back home or use the car (I'm sure there are a couple, but this is any car model on the planet). I've had 10/15/16/17/18/19 MY rovers btw, so pretty confident in that!

·
FOUNDER
638 Posts
20180922_185002.jpg Sensible choice on your part getting J**p but as others have said don't be too concerned about the notorious Lucas electric glitches of Land Rover products. The recent models including the L405 are much better in this regard than the earlier models, and in any case the problems would seldom strand anyone. Land Rover tends to put in too many advanced features that have not yet been shaken down. I have had one of every Range Rover model from the start and the only time I got stranded was with the first model.

Congrats on your Wrangler -- I love Fiat/Chrysler's willingness to continue production of that model and like many other Land Rover enthusiasts wish our parent company would do the same. Meanwhile you might be surprised how well your RR will keep up with your Jeep off road if you try it,

Cheers

John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Had a 2012 for 4 years- no issues. Now have a 2017 LWB- 1 trip from Houston to Nantucket, 2 trips to Santa Fe, it is my daily driver. No issues. Will get another one in 2021.
49128251_10215332579922343_8550366784878804992_o.jpg

·
Registered
58 Posts
2002 Range Rover (when BMW owned LR) ...traded after 8 (problem plagued) months; 2008.....Brilliant enjoyed for 3 1/2 years with 0 service issues...; 2014 - Brilliant enjoyed for 4 1/2 years...some rattles on front suspension that were dealt with under warranty but otherwise loved it; 2019 - 1400 KM and very pleased to date. I timed my lease to the release of the next generation in that I think this will always be my preferred daily driver. I have a 991.2 GT3 Touring for the weekend.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts