RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my RRSC a few months ago and have yet to drive on the beach. Does anyone know the ideal psi for the RRS on sand? thx

·
LIFETIME CONTRIBUTOR
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
11,013 Posts
Depends on what sand you are going to drive over, I assume you are on stock tires? In my limited local experience low gear, Terrain Response in Sand mode and maintaining your forward momentum will take you around most beaches without the need to mess with tire pressure, as the sand there is usually fairly packed and the TR program does an admirable job getting you up and running on that terrain. On more loose sand (sand dunes and the like), if you feel like you are losing traction too often instead of gaining momentum, stop and deflate each corner about 10 psi from standard. If you still crave traction, air down another 5-10 (I wouldn't go any lower than 18-20 psi as the risk of popping a bead becomes too great) and turn off DSC. On sand though, speed and momentum are your best bets, so make sure you keep them both up and I don't think you'll need to air down at all... Have a great time and post some pictures when you go!

·
Premium Member
1,165 Posts
What tires are you running? I've gone down to 15-18psi in my LTZs in the soft sand.

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
165 Posts
I have been driving on sand beach with p38 for ten years now.Lots of fun! You won't be able to maintain much speed due to pedestrian traffic and other trucks. Use low range, air down to 15psi,and be sure to wash the underside when you return home. lawn sprinkler under the truck works great.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
I have been driving on sand beach with p38 for ten years now.Lots of fun! You won't be able to maintain much speed due to pedestrian traffic and other trucks. Use low range, air down to 15psi,and be sure to wash the underside when you return home. lawn sprinkler under the truck works great.
15 PSI will probably cause you to lose a bead on your tires. If it's 12 inches or more of sand, on the RRS, going down no less than 25 PSI on stock tires, or 20 at most on oversize A/T tires is more than enough to get thru...

·
Registered
165 Posts
gravytrain, I see you have nyc as your location.I will assume you are going to nantucket or perhaps jersey shore. the sand in these locations is very soft. Your stock tires are adequate. you will not need to concern yourself with unseating a bead of a tire.I would again recommend 15psi, however you can always start higher and let air out if you feel a loss of traction. In nj you will find that the access roads to the beach are the softest sand because every truck that is on the beach has to access from these roads. I have pulled countless trucks from this due to overinflation of the tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
gravytrain, I see you have nyc as your location.I will assume you are going to nantucket or perhaps jersey shore. the sand in these locations is very soft. Your stock tires are adequate. you will not need to concern yourself with unseating a bead of a tire.I would again recommend 15psi, however you can always start higher and let air out if you feel a loss of traction. In nj you will find that the access roads to the beach are the softest sand because every truck that is on the beach has to access from these roads. I have pulled countless trucks from this due to overinflation of the tires.
Managed to get an ML350 tragically stuck in the soft sand at Nobadeer in Nantucket a few weeks ago. Had to get down to nearly 10 psi to get out. Planning on giving it go in my RRS next. Will probably start at 20 psi and go from there.

Interesting to hear your car does so well. Our old P38 was decent, but the weight didn't lend itself nicely to beach driving on soft sand. Definitely had to work for it at times. I hope my RRS will do the work for me this time around! :)

-Joe

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
Not sure how deep the sand is there on the Jersey shore, but we've done several trips to North Padre Island (not the party central South Padre Island of Spring break fame), which is the longest barrier island in the world right off the coast of Texas near Corpus Christi, and it has about 45-50 miles of continuous deep deep sand , in many places up to a foot deep in parts and extremely soft.

On both RRS and LR3's, we air down to 25 and have no trouble going thru this at a steady pace - mind you, the mileage suffers and over time goes down to about 6-7 mpg, so you need to take extra gas. Last thing I would want to do is break a bead out in the middle of nowhere, so I'd recommend starting around 30, then 25, and if necessary down to 20...but it also depends on what tires you are running. We are running 285/60/18's and therefore have more room to air down than stock tires...

Depending on how far away you are from help, you'll also need to be able to change a tire in deep sand, that in itself is a fun adventure...and if you're going out there with the standard scissor jack...you're basically hosed...so an alternative setup is needed.

·
Premium Member
5,175 Posts
Not sure how deep the sand is there on the Jersey shore,
This should give you an idea--not my clip just one I found. Its no South Padre Island. There are only a few beaches in NJ that allow year round driving, this being one. Never had my RRS on the beach but in my Toyota I have run street pressures just fine. Just don't be a maroon and make turtle holes.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover Sport
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
good observation. yes, heading to nantucket in a few weeks. think i'll start with 20 then go from there if needed. do you think i should i have a board in the truck if needed?

thanks again for the advice.

·
SUPER MODERATOR
4,469 Posts
... be sure to wash the underside when you return home. lawn sprinkler under the truck works great.
That's quite an innovative way to clean up the salt water and sand...but doesn't it ruin your lawn? Maybe easier just to go to the self service car wash with a nozzle?

·
Registered
165 Posts
good observation. yes, heading to nantucket in a few weeks. think i'll start with 20 then go from there if needed. do you think i should i have a board in the truck if needed?

thanks again for the advice.
ARB bushranger x jack and a board most definitely. Full size spare and a shovel,snatch strap are bare essentials.

·
Registered
21 Posts
ARB bushranger x jack and a board most definitely. Full size spare and a shovel,snatch strap are bare essentials.
You're required to have a board, shovel, and full sized spare in the car on the beach in Nantucket. It's not enforced per se, but if you do get into trouble you might have a problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
so there i was... on the beaches of hawaii with my brand new RRS (crappy stock tires) and feeling unstoppable. Everything starts off well, then comes the real deep soft stuff and the 6k+ lbs truck gets buried to the point where the doors almost wont open. sadly, a lifted jeep with some real tires comes along and tows me out. most embarrassing LR moment I ever had. in short, I would never do it again with stock tires.

·
Registered
2002-2005 Range Rover MkIII / L322
4 Posts
I feel your pain!! I got stuck in the sand on Carolina beach today!! People videoed me getting towed off the beach by a lifted f250! Embarrassing!!!!!

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just got my RRSC a few months ago and have yet to drive on the beach. Does anyone know the ideal psi for the RRS on sand? thx
I am out on sand weekly, and I have my trailheads set to let out air until 12psi is reached. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Found this old thread when trying to decide whether to take our '06 RR Sport to the beach again, we did OK last time but got stuck in the really soft stuff at Carolina Beach coming out when we slowed due to some traffic. Somebody in an old Dodge lifted P/U with swampers aired way down pulled us out. We have stock wheels & stock size Toyos, I had thought about airing down as is normal for anything on Carolina Beach but with the stock size sidewalls I really didn't think it was possible. I've been researching different tires & it looks like we're really limited. I'm thinking about getting a separate Carolina Beach rig, like an old Silverado , the ticket seems to be to just air way down. The challenge at Carolina is the "strip" is really narrow & heavy trafficked so a pretty long stretch after the pavement ends is super-soft, chewed up and choppy. Plus to set up shop once you get a spot, to fish, launch the kayak, or just hang out you have a to make a low speed 90 degree turn in that crap, out of the deep tire ruts & thru more loose deep stuff. I feel like a total tool getting stuck, only to be easily pulled out by a dude in his beater plumbing work truck 4x4 on stock height/wheels/tires but running 15lbs & floating on the sand.

·
Registered
770 Posts
15-20psi, select sand and DSC off and you should have no issues.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts