RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dealer has a 2018 arriving soon with my exact desired specs. I can't get myself to pull the trigger at $130K given that my 2014 SC Dynamic still puts a smile on my face.
SVR owners, give me the push I need!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
I'm in the same boat as you except its more like i have a perfectly fine F type R and its so expensive

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh man!! I'd much rather be in your shoes right now! They have a great lease deal on the F-Type R at the moment. It's like $899/mo.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Oh man!! I'd much rather be in your shoes right now! They have a great lease deal on the F-Type R at the moment. It's like $899/mo.
My car has lost so much in value the year that i've owned it. Trust me i'm having no fun. The only bit of advice i can give you is, to me at the moment it seems like a big premium to pay to jump over a SC RRS (40K) and other than the bigger engine and exhaust there isn't much of a difference. Hence why I dont own one....yet.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ok. Hard for me to comment and provide real insight. I’ll not ever be going after an SVR. It’s actually too sporty for me.

But maybe a nice compromise is the Autobiography. I went out of my comfort zone when buying my 17. Its the most irresponsible money decision I’ve ever made.

But it’s the best fun decision I’ve ever made too. I smile just at the thought of it.

Maybe that’s your answer tho. Maybe the 130 is worth it. You only live once.

Personally, I’m in car heaven.

Attachments

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
1,154 Posts
Man it's a tough decision that's for sure. I think the SCV8 dynamic is plenty sporty for me.

However, you know you are going to test drive it and then you know that will make you want it. For me I'd hold tight but if you want it then go after it :mrgreen:

·
Registered
75 Posts
SC Dynamic is just fine. Ask the boys at Velocity to bump it up for you past SVR HP. Same engine, same internals, just need a different tune.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover MkIV / L405
8 Posts
Do NOT test drive an SVR or you will be ready to hand over the check after hearing that sound ... `)

·
Registered
23 Posts
While I really love the SVR, I ended up with the autobiography because I wanted the low range, two speed transfer case. I can add an exhaust if I want. I don’t think you can go wrong either way though, if you are happy with the ‘14 then why mess with it? At the same time having a new shiny toy is always fun!!

I don’t think the performance of the SVR will be super eye opening comparatively but some people just really want the name or carbon fiber... ultimately which would you be happier with in your drive way??

·
Registered
153 Posts
Dealer has a 2018 arriving soon with my exact desired specs. I can't get myself to pull the trigger at $130K given that my 2014 SC Dynamic still puts a smile on my face.
SVR owners, give me the push I need!!
It is a BIG bump up in price. Personally I went with the ATB and got the tune and pulley done. Right there you will have the same exact monster engine for a few grand and in my opinion a more comfortable car to drive. I didn't feel the need for the additional exhaust sound over what the ATB provides but with a few modifications you can get there if you need it.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Man you guys have been no help. lol. j/k.
Actually it's good to hear that many don't see the value in SVR as I'm not exactly seeing it as a bargain. I think the jump from HSE to SC Dynamic was a great bargain as I got a lot of things upgraded in the process (Engine, Exhaust, suspension, TFT, Interior choices ...) But from SC Dynamic to SVR it way more $ for way less upgrades.

I think what's making it difficult is that if I just go for an ATB I'll basically be driving the same exact car as now with minor updates but for another $60K out of pocket. (Got the dealer to buy my MY14 for $50k, she goes away next weekend). It's incredible how well these cars hold their value.

Here's what I think I'm gonna do. I'll drive my spare car for a month or two while the Tesla model 3 we ordered gets here. Then I'll drive that for 30 days. I'm sure I'll hate it. I'll then go and get either the SVR or the ATB. By then I'm sure I'll really miss the SUV again.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
470 Posts
I bought my autobiography in 2015, before they announced the SVR. I thought I was fine until I test drove an SVR. it’s truly a different feel despite having so many similarities.

2018 seemed like enough of an upgrade to bite the bullet. They won’t make cars like these forever.

·
Registered
2016-2018 Range Rover Sport
298 Posts
I don’t think it’s worth the increase in price at all.
But, Thomeefl69 is right. Don’t test drive it else you’ll want it.

It can be argued that nothing is really worth the price. But to each their own.

I went with an SVR cause I felt that the V8SC dynamic doesn’t get enough looks. The SVR gets a lot of looks cause of the sound and the colour (I got blue).

Some people don’t like people gawking at their cars, personally I do. Lol

OP have you test drove it yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
86 Posts
I bought my autobiography in 2015, before they announced the SVR. I thought I was fine until I test drove an SVR. it’s truly a different feel despite having so many similarities.

2018 seemed like enough of an upgrade to bite the bullet. They won’t make cars like these forever.
You are 100% correct here. I test drove the SVR in December and within seconds I knew I was going to order one. It does feel like a different animal and the sound isn't just a loud obnoxious noise like you get from aftermarket exhausts. We've all seen the videos online but from the inside, while driving, it sounds incredible. Even when setting the active exhaust in quiet mode it has a nice deep frequency to it. For me, this could be my last combustion engine car before going electric so I'm going out in style. I already said goodbye to the manual transmission a few years ago and monster V8's are probably another genre that will end. And the power... it's just waiting for you to push it instead of you pushing the gas and waiting for it to respond.

I agree that an autobiography with the supercharged V8 and 510hp is a very very nice vehicle and a great bang for the buck. But to me the extra 20 or 30k is worth it if you're already spending that much. Gotta go the full distance. If you keep the SVR for 4 years it's not even an extra 10k per year for a not trivial boost in enjoyment every time you drive it. Sure, service and fuel costs will probably be more than an ATB but who cares.

Mine arrives in late May. This wait is going to be painful.

·
Registered
139 Posts
SC Dynamic is just fine. Ask the boys at Velocity to bump it up for you past SVR HP. Same engine, same internals, just need a different tune.
As far as I understand, the SVR adds better engine cooling with front bumper air intakes, and better brake cooling with some airflow redirection. I wonder why LR felt the engine cooling enhancements were needed.

Of course the exhaust note is rather different. I’ve never seen a SVR on the road though, and don’t see too many SC V8’s either (mostly I see HSE or HSE Dynamic). Loving my 2017 SC V8 Dynamic, couldn’t be happier.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I personally don't think I could justify the added price of an SVR. I mean we are talking about an SUV after all. Really only so much you can do with it and its not like your going to track it (maybe you are?). Sure its going to be fast and the look/sound is subjective (I personally don't like the sports seats or the CF hood). If I needed my SUV to be faster I'd rather just buy the V8 Dynamic and use the rest for a sports car that is meant to be driven fast/tracked. Not that an SVR isn't meant to be driven fast but hopefully you get what I'm saying...just my .02 cents

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'll chime in as an '17 SVR owner for almost a year. Contemplated for months. Hard to justify the cost of course however I have no regrets. The acceleration, handling and exhaust has not gotten old for me. Completely different driving experience than the regular sport imo. Only concern I had was with respect to the the seats which took me several weeks to get use but actually find them very comfortable now.

IMG_3141.JPG IMG_3101.JPG IMG_3108.JPG 18555973_10155120232627530_8875497291771822308_n.jpg

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just acquired a Jag at beginning of the year. Now my stable of cars is perfect Diesel Range Rover Sport and Jaguar F Type R. Still seems like a dream to me but finally got chance to have both! How awesome are these vehicles!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts