RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello again All
im just interested in what lights everyone runs on their RR and what you think is the best light driving + spot or drivingX 2 or spotX2 and what brand ive been looking at getting the Nite stalker roo lite 180xp has anyone seen or used them used ?
cheers Brendon

Nite Stalker Roo Lites 180XP
The Nite Stalker Roo Lites have been developed to meet the ever increasing demands of drivers.
700 plus metres
Increased Performance
Fitted with OSRAM Xenophot 100 Watt globes
Non-Corrosive
Dustproof
Adjustable Focus Beam
Water Resistant
Lightweight
Extreme Temperature Variation Tolerant
The Nite Stalker Roo Lites come with an adjustable focus lens. To adjust the beam simply rotate the reflector and choose the intensity of the beam you require. Allows pencil beam to be adjusted to various distances.
the kit includes a Wiring Harness, Switch, In-Line Fuse, Relay and fitting instructions.
Features
High Impact Polycarbonate Lens and Lens Covers
Body made from Fibre reinforced Polyamide
Stainlesss Steel mountings with locking nuts
Parabolic Reflectors
Waterproof and Dustproof connector

Dimensions: Lens Diameter 180mm, base to top approx 230mm, front to back approx 150mm.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Quite a few of the Defender and Discovery guys have these fitted. They look pretty good and have the clear protectors so you have protection and you don't have to get out of the car to remove the covers when it's p1ssing down outside.

I've only ever used KC in the past so I can't comment on them personally but the users appear happy with them.

·
Premium Member
1,703 Posts
depends what you want to use them for I guess,

I looked at a few lights, then at my wallet, and just ended up with some NARVA blue's. They come in a wide and spot kit, and make a HUGE difference for night driving, but 99% of my night driving with lights is country roads / country highway between Adelaide and Melbourne or Adelaide and Berri. If I was bush bashing I would go all wides as distance isnt a huge issue.

Here's one on the car :

Someone pinched my wide one :( Need to get around to buying another set. Also be carefull, I had mine pretty snug up agains't the air intake for the radiator, and it actually made a measurable difference in under bonnet temp - I moved them 4 inches further out and it was heaps better. From memory my under bonnet temp went from 60 degrees to 70 degrees c.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i think im going to try a set of them just to see if they do the job.
I have a set of CIBIE OSCAR DRIVING SPOT lights that im going to sell if anyone is interested $150 ono they need new screws but they are in great order
cheers'
Brendon

·
Registered
324 Posts
Anybody run 7" round LED lights? I've seen some cheaper non ARB ones for $120
That are spots but come with a cover to make them a flood. With a relay under the bonnet and power and ground run to the battery with a relay on the dash these seem to be a good choice. What do you guys run?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Wow you've resurrected a 9 year old thread :D

I've been wondering about adding driving / spot lights myself purely for aesthetics and not to give better night time vision.

I don't think the smaller lights - 5 inch diameter etc look right and everyone keeps telling me the more inches you got the better so I was thinking 8 inch would look best. I don't have a brush / bull bar so I also need a bar to mount them on.

I've been looking at these lights: http://www.boundary4x4.co.uk/ring_sportsline_circular_8_inch_halogen_driving_lamps_gdl001 as they are cheap enough and should look "right" I think

For a light mounting bar the only thing I can find is this: http://www.boundary4x4.co.uk/land_rover_discovery_2_bumper_mounted_light_bar_gad211 which is for a Discovery 2. I measured the distance between the centre of the two protruding thingies on the front bumper and its about 70 cm so not sure if that will fit and look right. I either need to measure a Defender 2 front bumper or get precise dimensions of the product somewhere to work out if it will fit and look ok.

Has anyone else fitted a light bar to a P38 without the brush bar? There is one part number STC8883AA which is no use as it looks like it attaches to the brush bar not the bumper.

I haven't looked into the wiring yet but as I have a diesel I don't have front fog lights so was thinking of adding the front fog light switch on the dash and wiring them that way (I think the wires for the fogs are there behind the bumper) but I read perhaps you need the car programmed to recognise that you have added fogs lights - not sure how true that is.

One last thing - I need to check I can get the bumper off first to attach the bar as I read the bolts can seize and you mess the heads up trying to get them off.

·
Registered
97 Posts
That light bar would look fine if it was black - I don't like the silver finish.

The lights in pic1 look great but the ones in pic2 are too small - they look like pimples IMO - I think you need nothing less than 8 inches to look "right"

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,157 Posts
The original Land Rover spot/driving lights are about 7" from memory, and with the brush bar and mounting bracket fill the gap nicely.

As for wiring, mine has them wired in with the high beams using the factory wiring loom. It's basically an H4 male connector which plugs into the vehicle loom on the RHF headlight. It has a pass through to plug into the H4 lamp in the headlamp, and a trigger wire/ground that goes to a relay. The relay has a fused live feed from the battery +ve terminal, and a feed which then Y's off to the spot lamps. The spot lamps then have grounds which Y together back to the battery -ve terminal.

This way, the spots come on with the high beam lamps - but have a direct power feed from the battery, so there is no additional load on the vehicle wiring, or the BECM MOSFETs which drive the normal lamps.

Hope this helps.

Marty

·
Registered
97 Posts
Hi Marty, thanks for the reply.

I'm afraid I don't really understand electronics that well. Are you saying you are using the loom that is installed in the car or have you made a custom setup?

I will have to whip the grille off tomorrow and see if there is any pre-wiring behind there for driving lights. I have a diesel so no fog lights due to the gearbox fluid cooler radiator under the left headlight - not sure if that makes any difference?

Justyn.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,157 Posts
Hi there,

It's not part of the factory wiring loom, no. It's an extra wiring loom that came in the Land Rover accessories kit with the LR branded spot lights, to wire them in.

If your vehicle has never had spotlights before, then it is unlikely it will have the wiring already there for them.

I've made one of the wiring looms up before for another member of a forum, and they are easy enough to do. I think the original wiring loom part number might still be available, I'll try and look it up in the next couple of days, or have a search on here, as someone has probably mentioned it before...

That way it's a nice easy way of adding spot lamps to the vehicle without having to worry about any of the other bits and pieces!

Marty

·
Registered
343 Posts
On several cars in the past I have Always just adapted from the main-beam wire to feed a relay, the rest as above.
On a Cherokee I changed the feeds of the standard headlamps this way to get rid of the switch becoming hot.
Tony.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I think the part number for the loom is STC8884 - I found this on an old thread:

STC8480: Safari 5000 driving lamp
STC8884: Wiring kit, for Safari lamps*
STC8883AA: Lamp mounting bar for fitment of Safari lamps to Nudge Bar*
The *star indicates you need the starred item to fit the previous item in the list.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks for the help gents. I was thinking 7-8" round LEDS look nice.
Cheers

1 - 14 of 14 Posts