RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm stuck on side of road waiting for AAA.

truck died doing about thirty, lost all power, everything lit up, and the only fault that registered was alternator fault but i'm not sure if that was bc of reduced voltage.

Recently i had service light come on and diagnosing found it was the ignition coil.

Im not sure how to find if it's the ignition coil or the alternator. now it turns over and over like it wont start. let me know asap guys!

Thanks!

·
Registered
965 Posts
Your symptoms sounds very much like crankshaft position sensor gone bad.

If you suspect ignition coil, I suppose you can check if you're getting spark on both A/B bank side. If your alternator was bad, you would have seen a gradual shutdown of all electroncs. Did you see that happen in your case?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh, i was thinking maybe cps.

It was probably more sudden than an alternator going. Like where everything runs on battery briefly until it dies, right?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
just picked up the sensor at dealer. what tools will i need to pull this? anything tricky about the two bolts? whats the head size on them?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
afox04 said:
just picked up the sensor at dealer. what tools will i need to pull this? anything tricky about the two bolts? whats the head size on them?
Depends on which year you have. On GEMS it is two 8mm and one electrical connector. I think that the size changed on Bosch.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
it'sa bosch motor. octopus on top.

can i get to the two with a regular ratchet or will it require wrenches?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
socket wet will be just fine. It'll take longer to raise the truck to wading mode and crawl under than it will to change it. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
965 Posts
Standard tools are all you need on this one. The bolt is a bit on a small size. Don't remember exactly what it was though. Socket or std wrench is all you need.

You actually have 4 bolts. 2 bolts holding the cover in place, and another 2 holding the sensor in place. These two are not the same bolt sizes, If I remember correctly. Caveat is, you don't tighten down the bolts holding the sensor much-I believe, it's 6 lb/ft torque value.

BTW, I haven't tried them , but you can buy cps from local auto shops like Autozone. Naturally, they are not Bosch-made, but one I found was made by Wells. The price was bargain basement $59.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great info. the one i picked up at land rover annapolis was $109. didnt think to check pep boys or parts america.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts