RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New symptoms;
Once the torque converter locks up between 40 and 50 mph, any sudden accelerator pedal movement will send a jolt through the drivetrain. So if one were to suddenly lift off the gas pedal in traffic, the car lurches and a jolt seems to emanate from the middle or rear of the car. Then if one were to get back on the accelerator pedal quickly the jolt happens again. The problem is getting worse over the last 1000 miles or so.

I have checked the transmission fluid (good)
Transmission and drive plate were replaced about 10K miles ago.

I have gotten under the car and pushed and pulled on just about every possible suspension component or drive train component. I have noticed that my front output shaft on the transfer case has play that will also cause the rear output shaft to wiggle also. Although while this is a problem I doubt that it could cause such a noticable jolt through the car.

Engine motor mounts look ok but not perfect. The top portion of the engine motor mounts (part that hold the engine directly) look a bit cracked. Rocking the engine back and forth does not produce any noise or unusual feelings.

Any other ideas???

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
Jack up one wheel and slowly turn it as far as you can (with your hands) each way. How much can you turn the wheel (like an 1/8th or 1/16th of a turn)?

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Last time I tried that test, ohhh about a few years ago, it was about a good 1/2 inch play. I will try the test again on each wheel and get back to you.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
1,108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I really really hope that it has nothing to do with the transmission. I am literally praying as I sit here in the chair. The transmission was rebuilt and refitted just about 10K miles ago. The torque converter was also refitted with a rebuilt unit. The warantee on the work is still current, but the mechanic who did the work, offed himself, so I could wipe my a$$ with the warantee document.

Here is a video of the wheel slop. Anyone have any comments or observations. It does appear to be a serious bit of play;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1YGisY3kDg

Let me know what you think...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts