RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was driving on the road. Car was running well, then all of a sudden, 1 slip, 2 slips, then no more power to the wheels. Engine is running fine, but when I shift into any gear, no movement. it is a 95 lab. i did not hear any sounds or feel much besides slipping. I think the issue is in the transfer case, but Totally baffled by this one. If VC fails, I still should have movement in one axle. If chain goes, I think I would have heard. It is a auto trans with a BW transfer case. Also though Torque convertor may have done out, but I did not have nay working signs terms of slipping.

I did have a loud clunk when I would engage th gears, and I did read this can indicate that my output shaft was failing and I probably stripped the splines. not 100% sure what this means, but I think the output shaft of the transmission is spinning inside the transfer case. That will mean an new transmission, Anyone got a suggestion on how I can test for things. Either way, I have a big job ahead of me to get the rover back on the road.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Did you make sure the TC did not slip into neutral? I'm always hopeful of an simple solution.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
This happened on my 91
I removed the transfer case filler plug
And could see the chain moveing with it in gear o I knew the transmission was ok

It Turned out to be the spline gear that goes into the Vc was stripped out
I took it apart after I replaced the transfer case

I

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
I know it sounds crazy
But if this spine strips out your rover isn’t gonna move

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Fluids were replaced about a month prior, and they are all at right levels. Not in natural. I tried to move between high and low, and there is a nasty audible alarm when the Case is in neutral.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. diagnostic approach. to look in the t case. neither way, it needs a replacement. Will prob replace both transmission and transfer case. they are both old. Just have to save up $$$ to do it. Hoping for a no deal brexit and a low pound. Sorry all my british friends.

·
Premium Member
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
455 Posts
Stupid question...when you are underneath the car are the driveshafts moving? if so you have a snapped halfshaft.
(Transfer case in neutral only makes an alarm noise or light on some NAS Rangies, which have a gizmo installed on the transfer box. It can be safely removed, because I think adults are able to read H,N and L .)

Then there is the front output shaft on the Borg warner. That often snaps and is not expensive, easy to repair. Use the opportunity to replace your center diff washers and the two (cheap SKF or Timken) output bearings.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did not check the drive shafts, but will one half shaft effect the other wheels. Seems odd.... I am sure it is something simple, but will take time to fix. Given the age of my components I think I will be best to swap it all out with new... I do want to know what happened, and when I get it out, I will direct it..

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
If and when you take it apart I think you will find this
you can see this splined gear is on the front drive and it goes through the vc
That’s where it sheared

Attachments

·
Registered
524 Posts
To check the rear half shafts, make sure parking brake is applied, lift one rear wheel and try to turn it.

The other wheel on the floor should stop that shaft turning on the opposite side of the diff, the park brake should stop the propshaft turning, so the lifted wheel shouldn't rotate but just rock back and forth with any play there is in the system.

Then do the same for the front, just lift one wheel with all others on the floor, you should now be able to rotate that wheel veeeeery slowly (takes quite a bit of effort) as the viscous diff will only just allow it to move relative to the rear output.

That'll confirm if the axles props and viscous are working.

If any wheel spins freely, then something is broken.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts