RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have another loose u-joint, 3rd one in 6 months same location, front prop shaft to front diff. Could I have bent the house and opened it up when installing a previous u-joint? What else would cause failing u-joints? The diff seems ok, but the TC front output flange has someplay. The truck drives smooth with the new u-joint, but after a long ride it starts to vibrate every so slighty and then if I crawl under the truck I can feel the loose front u-joint. Btw, I did all four a year ago and the rears are still fine.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
More importantly, are you using genuine or Schuck's kockoffs? I worked on a buddies rig last year ago that was on his third in 8 months. Once we installed genuine parts from AB all was fine.

·
Registered
442 Posts
G'day Ferret,
I've been down this road ,had cheap Island 4X4 unis put in buy local garage, he must of destroyed my front propshaft,Yokes when fitting had to replace,get the Hardy Spicer H160 Heavy duty uni for HSE made by GKN ,same company the cheapies are for the Classics.
Get them professionally fitted, and balanced get them before fitting to do your measurments on your yokes,compared to the uni,using a calipier,deducting the thickness of your clips if its out you may off damaged your yokes,you will need a new propshaft.
This from another thread. Note the output bearing can fail,mainly on high mile transfers 350,000klm worked motors???? Hard off road work???

When driving right around 85 Mph I get a high pitched whine. When I let off the accelerator it gets much louder. I have heard that it's the output shaft on my transfer case. The coupling to the front drive shaft wears in the splines apparently??????
Hope this helps
Regards Graeme

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,113 Posts
Just replaced one of my front propshaft uni's today. It was a brand new GKN only a few months ago. It had shat out all its needle bearings under one cap, and I found another cap missing one needle... :think: Poor quality? Don't remember seeing any missing needles when I was putting them in. Maybe I screwed up... I greased them pretty hard after installation and noticed the dust boots had pooched
Anyway, I replaced it with an over the counter NAPA uni, so we'll see... all the needles were there when I squeezed the caps on. I went real easy on the grease this time.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Thats why i take mine to a professional now , not even my local machanic could do it right :evil: you must of lost one needle when assembling, :naughty: after assembling would of felt weid,you only lightly purge with gease after assembling .If you were to do one do both and get it balanced,thats how they are assembled from the start less stresses on unis and output and pinion bearings. :thumb: It all makes sense short cut costs in the long run.
Even when the rear propshaft got redone you could see the damage from poor fitting they were notchy you could see a scratch mark in uni casing :shock:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts