RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, after some reading in the archives, I have a couple questions about a problem I am having with my drivers seat. The issue that I am having is that one day, I got in my 1994 Rover County and the driver's seat was not working. I noticed also that the power mirrors were not working, but I am not sure that they failed at the same time. I just wanted to confirm a couple of things from my reading...

1. Since the failure of the drivers seat was both sudden and complete and the power mirrors are not working, it is probably NOT the switch beside the seat. Therefore, I should not start with cleaning this switch.

2. Since both the power mirrors and the seat are not working, there IS a good chance that it could be the ECU that is under the drivers seat and this is probably where I should start.

Unfortunately, the seat is all the way back and tilted back pretty far, so the box is very difficult to get to. Can anyone offer advice on how the get the box out? Will I need to remove the seat?

Also, is this ECU still available as a new part? Or do I need to look for a used one that works.

TIA for any info - you guys on this site are great.

·
Premium Member
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
1,115 Posts
"Sudden and complete"? check fuses first.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
29 Posts
Does the seat work with the door open? Same thing happened to mine recently. It was the passenger seat fuse located under the drivers seat. My fuses were broken off from their mounts so they were pushed towards the front of the seat...they should be close to the rear. Try switching them at first for a quick check to see if it is bad.

Check this link out too....

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... mer#p53319

Or read my post about my problems here... http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/viewto ... =4&t=30808

Good luck.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice guys - I have checked all the easily accessible fuses, the only ones I haven't check are the ones under the seats (didn't have a chance last night). I can get under the passenger side seat easily, but since the driver is in the all the way back and tilted back position, it is going to be difficult.

GilgameshMartin - did you have to remove your seat to access the fuses?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1970-1995 Range Rover Classic
29 Posts
I originally should have said relay. Sorry about that. You should not have to take the seats out...don't want to add anymore problems to the situation. The relays are located near the back of the driver's seat on the left side, so you should be able to reach them. Just get a flashlight out, fold the carpet back a little, and look for the yellow 1"x1"x1" cubes. I believe th r
elays you need are the two located on the right...don't quote me on that...I will check later and take a picture tonight if needed. I replaced mine with a bosch relay from carquest. I would switch the passenger seat relay with the drivers seat relay first and see if that narrows anything down.

If you can't reach the relays.... get out 12 to 15 feet of some speaker wire, hook it up to your car battery, and refer to the link above to see how to move the seats. I did this a couple times to move my passenger seat until I fixed my relay and passenger seat controls. don't jolt yourself...you can use a smaller power source other than your car battery if you have a 6 volt available.

I hope this helps. This should fix your mirrors too. Reply and let me know if this helps.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Awesome. Thanks so much. I will try this tonight and see if I can make it work. I'll be back to report later.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Darn. Well, turns out it was the circuit that has the drives seat and mirrors. There is a common problem with the batteries for the memory seat dying, then leaking acid on the ECU board. This eventually causes it to die. Bad thing is there no replacement out there. Thus I had to take it to the $hop. There's a wiring harness out there someplace that they can get and replace the entire ECU. It hard wires the seat, and you lose the power mirrors. The harness was $40... the labor was $450 :crybaby2: The good side is the seat works and has no more troubles. The bad side is I'll be eating beans and rice for a while again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts