RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to get a some opinions here for those whom have experienced both a current gen. Range Rover and current gen. Range Rover Sport. I have a 17 Range Rover Sport Autobiography with the upgraded comfort package and massage seats. I am having great difficulty getting comfortable in this vehicle. I have back problems originating from a herniated L2 disk four years ago. Now, comfort has come to the top of my priority list. I also have a 2013 Range Rover Sport in which I find complete comfort in. One of the best seats I have ever sat in, for lower lumbar support, in the exact right area of where I need. For the life of me I cannot seem to duplicate that perfect setting/feeling in our 17 Range Rover Sport. I am often fatigued and uncomfortable in it. We also use to own a previous gen, 2011 Range Rover in which I do not recall having discomfort in either.

My question is do any of you Range Rover owners whom also own a current gen. Range Rover Sport feel as if the seats are more comfortable in the Range Rover? Are they essentially the same seat, or is the Range Rover aimed more at a luxury, ergonomically comfortable experience? I have sat in a current gen. Range Rover, but too short of amount of time to pick up on any real observations.

Thank you in advance for any opinions.

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
The issue is not Sport vs 405 seats but the massage feature that is most likely your stumbling block. The actual frame, supports etc in the massage seats are vastly different from standard seats. That change to the interior of the seats takes something away from the support and comfort.

I found the massage seats were more like an Ikea barrel chair on a road trip instead of like a Barcalounger like most of us are used to. No matter what I did, how I adjusted them, it was simply impossible to get comfortable after about 75-100 miles. Every Range Rover I have had or driven has been like driving a living room down the freeway with the way the seats support but cradle you in comfort... until I drove two that had the massage seats.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats a great observation. I never thought that it would be massage seat vs. non-massage seat. That does make sense that the seat back would feel different between the two. I've been considering trading in for a Range Rover again, but perhaps the real difference is not between models like I had thought.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I agree that there is a massive difference between the massage seats and the non massage ones. For whatever anatomical reason the massage ones work a little bit better for me, but that is not the case for my wife who finds them to be uncomfortable, well to be correct, not as comfortable as she would like/expect from a rangie.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
My question is do any of you Range Rover owners whom also own a current gen. Range Rover Sport feel as if the seats are more comfortable in the Range Rover?
Yes. They are not the same - but that might be trim dependent. I have a RR ATB and a RRS SCV8 Dynamic. The latter has no massaging seats, the former does. Still, the former is way more comfortable for me than the Sport.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Great to read the replies. It appears to be up to the individual, however I think it may be beneficial for me to spend more than a few minutes in the seat of a current Range Rover in order to see whether or not they are any better for my back than our RRS. I have a 4k mile, round-trip coming up in October in which I was wanting to take our 17 RRS, but I am thinking I may need to rethink that as just a few minutes in the driver's seat sends tingles down my legs and pain in my back. We also have a 17 Lexus LX 570 that is incredibly boring to drive and sucks way more fuel, but is much more comfortable that I may need to take instead.

·
Registered
2013-2015 Range Rover MkIV / L405
599 Posts
Thanks for this thread. I thought that I was the only one who had discomfort after 75-100 miles, or so. I was also thinking of getting a newer model to eliminate this problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've had both and both late 2016 MY17 cars. Certainly had no problems with my L494 RRS (non-massage) in terms of comfort even with running on 22" rims which made it firmer. My L405 has massage-seats and it's taken some time to get the seat set up but it's very comfortable indeed. Either way both cars have very different road manners and set-up. I felt like I wanted to drive harder and take control of the RRS whereas the L405 does all the work for me and I just sit back and enjoy....I've had a lower back laminectomy too. I think you'll find the L405 seating has the edge with the suspension/drive also being more of a comfort/softer drive too which again may help with the seating on long drives.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts