RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2014 RRSport: Has anyone replaced the leather cover on the bottom of their drivers seat?
If so, whats the best way to remove the seat cushion bottom so the leather cover can be replaced? Does the entire seat need to be removed from the vehicle to remove the cover??
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Administrator
27,802 Posts
As with any car seat you will need to remove the entire seat then remove the back from the base. It's really quite simple, A handful of bolts securing the seat to the floor pan and few electrical connectors. Seat back removal can be tricky depending on how the power recline is set up. usually the back frame is just bolt to the bottom. Occasionally the electrical for heated seat back, recline, headrest etc is tucked into a channel instead of just being routed through a fold in the seat bottom cover. It usually takes me about 10 minutes to remove a seat from about any model of Range Rover. Depending on what has failed it can be another 5-10 to remove the back to pull the bottom cover off.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was shocked it was only $250 to replace the seat area with matching factory leather. Craftsman in LA, factory quality work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
5 Posts
Colleyt - do you have contact info for Craftsman - I need new seat cover and cannot seem to find them online? Thanks!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Timely topic. I am ALSO replacing the cushion cover for my 2014 RRS V8 Dynamic. I have less than 30K miles, but ... well lets just say I got in the car with a screwdriver in my pocket while I was moving, and tore a gash down the side. Ugh. The screwdriver got caught as I was getting out of the car, I felt something catch, then swung my leg out, rrrrrrip. I was sick to my stomach for a day. The mobile fixer guys said they could deal with it, I don't trust those types of repairs.

Actually though, you do not have to remove the seat backrest. You remove seat from the car, and remove the seat bottom cushion only. No need for removal of the seatback. I have this slated for the next weekend or two once my new seat cover arrives...

FYI -- I bought PN # as follows from Land Rover dealer online .. .it was $585 plus shipping, which actually I thought was way cheaper than LR San Francisco who quoted me $1180 for the same part plus another 500-600 to install. LR064343 "Cushion Cover"

Reactions: gsolo9559

·
Registered
9 Posts
On my Discovery 3 HSE the drivers seat squab side piece (side facing the door) split. The same thing happened on my 2009 RR Sport SE. I had a “smart” repair done on the Disco but that failed after 18 months or so, but I wasn’t bothered as I sold the car soon after. On the Sport I tried various upholstery repair kits (the seats have leather facings, but the side panels are vinyl), which did not work and could hardly be described as invisible.

I decided not to buy a new seat squab cover as a) expensive and b) clearly would fail again (the RR seat split when the car was just three years old) since it looks like poor design. So I took it to a car upholstery expert (who mostly works on high end classic cars). He said that the seat squab would need to be removed to repair (obvious eh!) but he could not do it, since he was not qualified to turn the air bag system on and off. So I took to local good garage and they removed the squab, which I then took for repair. The upholsterer said the RR seat cover leather was of high quality but the vinyl was not up to the job so he unstitched it and replaced with good quality leather with grain to match the leather facings and remade the seat squab. He also thought that the seat base side plastic trim panel “dug in” to the fabric side piece when the driver got in and out (same thing happens in the passenger side but it gets much less wear so I have not needed to replace (yet).

To solve this potential problem, he provided lengths of wind cord to fit onto the edge of plastic to create a soft edge where the trim piece touches the side panel of the seat squab. If you do this, you need to take care that it is not too thick as the squab goes up and down in relation to the trim piece when you raise/lower the seat (and moves a bit when you get in and out), so must not impede the movement.

The result: Looks like new, and I doubt will fail. I think that seat squab will outlast me....... :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts