Range Rovers Forum banner

Driver's Door Hinge "pops" when opening

13K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  Jurssen 
#1 ·
I know this is a common problem. I attempted a topic search to no avail. Anyway, hope someone can help.

Here is the problem. When ever I open the driver's door it makes a popping sound. The sound is coming from the metal hinge that is between the two larger hinges that connect the door to the body. The hinge that is popping is small, thin and black in color and pops when opening and closing.

Is there a fix out there that anyone knows of? Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
popping doors

I found that on my RR the two bolts that hold the central "bar" as described were loose! :shock: I tightened them up and gave the whole arrangement a shot of graphite (comes in a can, quick dry lubricant) and no more issues. I used the same stuff on the door handles and the locks and now she works like a charm (i would say like out of the showroom, but we all know what that means :roll:

#3 ·
Lithium spray grease

I agree. Check for loose parts to begin with, especially the "check strap" that keeps the door from opening too far. It is in the middle of your door opening. Then, spray the hinge pins and associated moving parts (like the check strap) with white lithium spray grease. Open and shut the door a few times and repeat the lube sequence. Wipe up any overspray/mess you made and you should have her fixed. The popping you describe is normally caused by a loose, or dry check strap on this model, but could also be a dry or worn hinge pin.

#4 ·
I'll try all suggestions. Thanks!

#5 ·
As it turns out the hinge pin was loose. I applied some white lithium to the check strap as well as the hinge pin, knocked the pin back in place with a hammer and she's as good as new.

Thanks for the help!

#6 ·
The holes have elongated on mine so the roll pin no longer holds very well. It pops quite badly.

#7 ·
Thread from 2008... I win the "thread from the dead" award today!

I'm in the same boat as above. The hole has elongated on the drivers side so the roll pin no longer holds well and pops. Lubricating makes it sound a little less violent, but it's still pretty obvious. I haven't found any other threads where anyone mentions a solution. Anyone found a larger pin or made a modification that works? Thanks!

#10 ·
There's a point as in my case where a new pin won't work as the hole has opened up too much. I used a drill bit and increased the size of both holes and found the right size bolt and nut. Need to tighten it occasionally but all in all it works great.

#12 ·
THANK YOU for bumping this. I've heard the pop noise for the past year but have ignored it because as it's the passenger door (on a LHD).

Had it been the driver's door my OCD would have forced a fix if necessary. But now that I've seen this . . . onto fixing!

#14 ·
Bumping this thread. Driver door also pops. I bought a new pin, just arrived from Latvia. Can someone explain exactly how to EITHER pop the old one back in, or pop it out and a new one in? I don't want to hammer to hard and make a mistake. Thank you for any pointers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.