Range Rovers Forum banner

Driver side mirror, reverse dip, return memory issue

19K views 27 replies 5 participants last post by  b_arra 
#1 ·
I did a search and found a couple posts on this subject, however my mirror seems to be acting a little differently... Yes, I do understand how to program and save the settings for the mirror position and mirror dip position.

When I both set up how I like them, they seem to work fine the next 1-3 times I get in and use the vehicle. Then all of a sudden I put the car in reverse and the mirror does one of a couple things...

1) It may go all the way down (further then I had stored) and return to the proper position when in drive.
2) It may go all the way down and stay in that position when in drive until I manually change it.
3) It may turn in toward me the driver and return to the proper position when in drive.
4) It may turn in toward me the driver and stay in that position when in drive until I manually change it.
5) It may move somewhere else.

This has been happening for the last 2-3 days and it is driving me nuts! Lazy entry is OFF.

Any help?

See less See more
#2 ·
FYI: This is only happening to the driver's side mirror. The passenger side seems to remember everything and work properly...

#3 ·
Is it possible to reset the ECU that controls the memory to the seats/mirror? How?

#5 ·
I agree with 3E. If possible, first make sure Reverse Mirrors Dip is enabled in the Settings menu and then try reprogramming the dipped mirrors position for ALL 3 seat memory buttons. If you use both keys, repeat the same procedure with key #2. It's a bit time consuming to do, but Land Rover said a while back that because of a software issue in a batch of seat memory ECUs the dipped mirrors could start acting up if, for example, you accidentally turn Reverse Mirrors Dip off and back on from the Settings menu (the memory will clear and you will have to "teach" the position to the module once again.)

#6 ·
It is just weird that they do random things... Sometimes in, others out and sometimes way to far down...

I have reprogrammed all using my key, but will try using all keys tonight.

#8 ·
If reprogramming doesn't do the trick you may want to check if the wiring going to the module - mounted under the driver seat - shows obvious signs of chafing / friction wear, or perhaps one of the connectors behind the module has come partially loose from its socket. Otherwise your 2006 driver seat module may indeed be defective (although I find it very strange that it would only start acting up now and only affect one mirror, after all this time.) The TSB for this issue is # LTB00042, attached below. But if your factory warranty is up it won't do you much good I'm afraid, and you may be stuck with the repair bill unless you have an extended warranty that covers these electronic modules. /:(

PS: Didn't you also have some front power window issues recently, and found a loose or corroded wire in a harness to be the cause? Perhaps something similar happened to the electrical harness powering the driver's door mirror, especially if the passenger side mirror appears to be working fine and only the driver side is consistently acting up.

Attachments

#9 ·
So all I did was position them again and they have been working perfect since last night... Weird?

#11 ·
And its back. I will follow the steps in the TSB tonight.

#13 ·
TripleE said:
You'll most likely have to get the memory module replacement and then follow the instructions, but you never know.
I ordered the memory module today also. This is going to get taken care of one way or another...

#15 ·
Replaced the Memory Module and still the same problem. WTF?

#17 ·
TripleE said:
After installation did you perform the memory settings for all keys again?
Only the keys that I use every day. The other set has been in the safe since I bought the vehicle... Do you think that could be an issue?

#20 ·
Carolina Cutter said:
let us know if you get this resolved. is the module replacement free even though out of warranty?

Not free outside of warranty. Sorry

#21 ·
Status update:

I replaced the module and experienced the same problems... Thinking it may be the second key from other posts, I thought I would give reprogramming a try one last time (did this on Friday).

Steps:
1) I reset the dash settings and turned off the reverse mirror dip
2) Remove key
3) Repeat with second key
3) Put key 1 back in and save all the seat settings
4) Turn mirror dip back on
5) Save all Seat settings (the reverse mirror dip seems to have been preset in the correct spots)
6) Remove key, lock and unlock
7) Repeat 3-6 with the second key

I don't know why but the mirrors have been working proper all weekend...? Good Luck

#22 ·
b_arra said:
Status update:

I replaced the module and experienced the same problems... Thinking it may be the second key from other posts, I thought I would give reprogramming a try one last time (did this on Friday).

Steps:
1) I reset the dash settings and turned off the reverse mirror dip
2) Remove key
3) Repeat with second key
3) Put key 1 back in and save all the seat settings
4) Turn mirror dip back on
5) Save all Seat settings (the reverse mirror dip seems to have been preset in the correct spots)
6) Remove key, lock and unlock
7) Repeat 3-6 with the second key

I don't know why but the mirrors have been working proper all weekend...? Good Luck

Just noticed I have step 3 twice. The second step 3 should be step 4... Had to say it before someone else did...

#23 ·
It has been some time since this issue first came up. I installed a new ecu (didn't help), then randomly my mirror motor burnt out. I replaced it and all was good with the dip for about 8 months, last week... The problem returned... Am I the only one still experiencing this issue?

#25 ·
Stillderanged said:
You are not alone I have a SC 06 with the same random non returning mirror curse...Like to think it adds to my trucks character....among other things :eek:

Have you tried anything to fix it?

#26 ·
b_arra said:
Stillderanged said:
You are not alone I have a SC 06 with the same random non returning mirror curse...Like to think it adds to my trucks character....among other things :eek:

Have you tried anything to fix it?
Honestly I have not, it happens once a week, and I just have not had enough time to look in to it, when I have a chance I will fix the Navigation unit first, right now the Boat is my priority, its a very short season here on Long Island .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.