RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2006-2009 Range Rover Sport
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 RRS HSE with a heating problem. The driver side doesn’t get nearly as hot as the passenger side. I’ve been reading all the threads on this topic for months now. Everyone is saying “it’s the heater core!” I’m just having a hard time believing that. In my case if I press the ECON button and the RECURCULATING button it gets warm. But no where near as HOT as the passenger side. I did a back flush of my heater core and found a little debri coming out. But overall clean. For experimental purposes I swapped the direction of coolant flow to my heater core and was getting no heat at all... 🤔. When the truck is warm, BOTH heater core pipes are hot. So why can’t my half of the vehicle get as hot? Am I missing something???

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just went through this with my 2007 HSE. New heater core fixed the problem. I believe the one side of the core gets plugged which prevents the driver side from heating up but still allows the coolant to flow through. I did it myself. It was a pain but saved the cost of labor from a shop

·
Registered
809 Posts
The heater core plenum is divided in half with what appears to be a plastic wall in the shop manual drawings. I assume that is why only one side gets heat when the far side of the HC gets plugged. I cut my old HC apart and could not see anything plugged but the veins are so tiny that it is hard to tell. It was the HC that caused the problem of no heat driver's side.

·
Registered
231 Posts
This happened to me as well, took the actual heater core out, power washed it in both directions (first from the out)
Couldn't believe how much crap/gunk was in the core as I jet-washed it out. Put heater core back in - Works Great!
The heater core as it gets along in life starts to deposit/leave material on the driver's side of the core and slowly starts
clogging/working it's way towards the passenger side with less and less flow on the driver's side. Reason for the passenger's side
being warmer than the driver's side here in left-hand drive lands. See included diagram - Yes, had some time on my hands and
this topic seems to surface quite regularly.

HC.jpg

·
Registered
10 Posts
It's weird, you would expect the passenger side to clog first given the diagram. I have the same issue and am wondering how to tackel this without tearing the whole dash apart. For the flush, did you do that in the vehicle or did you take the heater core out? If I was going that far I would have just changed it out as a precaution.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The larger particles/debris that don't fit in the smaller vertical vanes get pushed back (driver's side) long the top and begin to accumulate
slowing flow and increasing sediment to settle on this driver side as well.
You can search here for procedures/shortcuts to remove heater core. Basically remove glove-boxes with support structure, center console etc
to reveal the heater core and pipes. What you do from here -can go many ways- and is based on your experience.

·
Registered
6 Posts
ALICZANDER, your issue is with the heater core. I have a 06 RRS and it was doing the same thing; not good in the middle of winter when you live near Lake Michigan. I reverse flushed the heater core and BAM! heat on the drivers side. I disconnected my heater core hoses a the front of the engine near the radiator since it was very difficult to disconnect them at the fire wall. I used an air hose and blow nozzle to purge all the coolant out of the core. You don't need a much pressure, I think I used 15-20 PSI. Just that removed quite a bit of debris. Then poured some CLR in the core and let it sit for about 15-20 minutes. I would not suggest leaving it in there much longer due to the core being aluminum. Then I just purged the CLR out of the core and heater hoses with the blow nozzle. Then ran about 3 gallons of hot water through the core to flush it out well; using the air hose to push it thru. Refilled the coolant and made sure to bleed all the air out of the system. Make sure to use both bleeder valves, the one on the reservoir, and the one under the engine cover. Watch the one under the cover, its plastic, and they tend to become brittle. Not good to break this at 9:30 at night. I found that out the hard way. It was a slow process, but saved me from tearing my dash apart.​

·
Registered
809 Posts
You were lucky. I back flushed mine a couple of times and reversed the hoses for a few days. Didn't work for me, but always worth a try. Seems most who have tried this said it didn't work.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the driver's side cold issue, a real problem in stormy Tahoe, the heated windshield couldn't keep defrosted by itself, cold toes too.

Dean, the Independent LR tech in Rocklin, CA, popped my heater hoses and filled the core with Calcium Lime Rust Remover and let it set for 24hrs, all working as it should now.

ps: is there a way to extend the heated windshield timeout?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks to this post I resolved this issue by flushing the heater core, my heat is hotter than ever on both sides. At first there was no heat on driver side and decent heat on the passenger side.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts