RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm concerned! Keep in mind, I know the best answer to the question about I'm to ask is to sit in AND DRIVE the trucks I'm asking about.

I've owned two, RR full-size in the past (2008 L322 and 2010 L322), and one of my favorite aspects of the trucks was the high, commanding, driving position. I've been driving a Maserati Ghibli for the past two years, and I want to get "back up in the air" again.

So, I want a 2016 RR Sport V8. I'm a little concerned the cockpit might not be as big, luxurious, and commanding a position as the RR flagship full-size, however.

Keep in mind, I'm very tall at 6'4" with 36" inseam and relatively thin at 190 pounds, so I need leg room more than a large, "I have a big belly" cockpit. :)

So, folks who have been able to compare the old, L322 against the new L405 full-size AND have some experience driving the L494 RR Sport, I'm dying to hear your opinions on driver seating position.

Thanks in advance!

Darrin

·
Registered
154 Posts
Full size RR sits higher. Sport is a bit more of a cockpit feel since the new model. Very open and spaceous, but lose that higher sitting position. I do miss that. Although at 6 4" I would say you may not notice the change in the sport as much.

·
Registered
2019-2021 Range Rover Sport
476 Posts
I had 3 l322s in a row and went with a new RRS. You sit lower, but there isn't as much of a difference in space as you might imagine.

·
Registered
65 Posts
When I sit in my RRS, I definitely sit lower then my RR. The transmission gear selector and steering wheel spoke layout also gives you more of that "cockpit" feel. In my RR, I can tell the difference with the seat height, the rotary knob, steering wheel spoke layout, and center console gives it a more "openness feeling".

Overall, I prefer my RRS; the seat hight and the transmission gear selector (when in sport mode), I definitely feel more in-control. I rarely use the paddles shifters in my RR as I forget to shift gears at times.

·
Registered
2010-2012 Range Rover MkIII / L322
340 Posts
I'm concerned! Keep in mind, I know the best answer to the question about I'm to ask is to sit in AND DRIVE the trucks I'm asking about.

I've owned two, RR full-size in the past (2008 L322 and 2010 L322), and one of my favorite aspects of the trucks was the high, commanding, driving position. I've been driving a Maserati Ghibli for the past two years, and I want to get "back up in the air" again.

So, I want a 2016 RR Sport V8. I'm a little concerned the cockpit might not be as big, luxurious, and commanding a position as the RR flagship full-size, however.

Keep in mind, I'm very tall at 6'4" with 36" inseam and relatively thin at 190 pounds, so I need leg room more than a large, "I have a big belly" cockpit. :)

So, folks who have been able to compare the old, L322 against the new L405 full-size AND have some experience driving the L494 RR Sport, I'm dying to hear your opinions on driver seating position.

Thanks in advance!

Darrin
I'm surprised you went with a Ghibli, beings your 6'4"! We special ordered a Quattroporte in 2014 and I have driven several Ghiblis over the past two years. I absolutely hate driving our Quattroporte as the seating position is terrible for me. I'm 6'2" and do not have enough legroom, headroom and am not able to find a comfortable position. I dont know what Maserati was thinking. I feel as if they never really spent any time engineering the front seats or a driving position that is ergonomically correct. I get back pain, leg pain and ankle cramps when I drive the car. My wife drives the QP as her DD, and I think we are going to trade it in for a new LX570 in the next couple months. Even though its my wifes car, I cant stand having a vehicle that I am unable to drive in comfort.

To get to your original question, we too have owned an L322 (2011) and currently have a 13 RRS. I have driven a 16 RRS a few times and have found it to be comfortable and not lacking in space up front whatsoever. I agree, it does have a slightly different driving position than the 03-12 RR, but its defiantly not tight (but comfortable) feeling like our 13 RRS. We were happy enough with the new one that we ordered a new Sport and it should be in within the next week or so.

·
Registered
128 Posts
For tall people like us Range Rover sport is only good if it comes with upper seat articulation which extends the seat length to give more thigh support. For some reason it's only offered in autobiography in North America and it's like $600 dollar option in UK

1 - 6 of 6 Posts