RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had a weird situation, unlocked my RR yesterday and as I went to get in, the drivers seat back started reclining until it was completly flat. I can not get it to go back up?

Drove home like that, luckily I was only a few miles away. When I got home I was able to get it to go back up with no problem. I locked the car, came back out and unlocked and it went down again, as I locked and unlocked the car with the remote, it would stop and start.

Anyone know where I might start looking for the fix, bad relay, fuse, BCM (hope not) Remote battery?????

Pleasde let me know your thoughts

Cheers,

Ian

·
Registered
167 Posts
Try the memory buttons and see if it is going to a memorized position.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried the memory switches, and they are non responsive. I have done a search on the forum and not found anything.

I am wondering if the switch panel on the side of the seat is shorting out?

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
LR4Life said:
I am wondering if the switch panel on the side of the seat is shorting out?
Ya beat me to it. With how the harness is routed it could very easily have a pinch. If you can manage to get it into the upright position unplu the harness from the seat module. The manual buttons are a long white plug and the memory is a small square black plug. worse case you may need to pull the seat apart to find a pinched wire. Fortunately they are very easy to remove and disassemble.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, took the drivers door panel off, when I would press a seat memory setting either #1 #2 I would here a clicking behind the drivers door panel. I found that the "Door Outstation" part # AMR3358 was clicking.

Does this somehow control the seat settings? Maybe the program feature when you unlock and it sets the drivers memory setting.

What has been going on for about a year or two now is my door locks will lock and unlock by themselves, this happend more when it was hot out. And yesterday is was really warm (California winter). So when I went to uplug the outstation, my door locks went nuts, up down, up down.....

I think I may have solved 2 problems with one, I have suspected my "outstation" for a while, I just wonder if anyone can tell me if a faulty outstation would both lock and unlock the car all the time and cause my recline issue.

It is weird, I held the outstaion up to my ear plugged in and listened to it click when I pressed the seat memory feature.

Thoughts....cheap place to get an outstation if that is the problem.

Also, for the time being, can I use the passenger door outstation to plug in and move my seat back up right. it is down so far that it is crushing the back seat cushion.

·
Registered
206 Posts
LR4Life said:
Thoughts....cheap place to get an outstation if that is the problem.

Also, for the time being, can I use the passenger door outstation to plug in and move my seat back up right. it is down so far that it is crushing the back seat cushion.
According to RAVE, both front door outstations are interchangeable, so it's a good idea to test this first.

Check ebay for part# AMR3358 or PM Scotty

N.

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Mentioning RAVE gives the thought of just manually powering the recline after unplugging the switches. THe lumbar and recline is a green plug. Looking up the ground, recline and raise wire colours will gove you the ability to power it using a battery charger and a couple of paper clips in the right plug holes.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just swapped the front door outstations and everything went back to normal, I was able to get my driver seat to come back up. Hopefully this will cure the lock and unlock that I have been experiencing as well

I am ordering an outstation...anyone know of a recycling yard in California?

Thanks for the input...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rrtoadhall said:
Mentioning RAVE gives the thought of just manually powering the recline after unplugging the switches. THe lumbar and recline is a green plug. Looking up the ground, recline and raise wire colours will gove you the ability to power it using a battery charger and a couple of paper clips in the right plug holes.
I have not tried this as I am not very eclectically inclined. So I need to find the green plug off the seat switch harness (Do I need to find a separate ground?) Then remove the plug, inset paper clips and attach a battery jumper to it? Is this a trial and error this where I am looking for the right hole the activates the recline up feature? another problem I am having is the seat is laying down so flat that it was crushing the back seat so in an attempt to get pressure off the back seat I slid it forward all the way and now getting under the seat is extremely tight?

Thoughts

·
Administrator
27,818 Posts
Why not just unbolt the seat to get to the plugs? Once you have the plug undone simply use the paperclip method you jsut mentioned on the wires noted in RAVE. RAVE has the wire colour codes and pictured of exactly which hole each wire is in in hte plugs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, I got the plug undone and have easy access to the pins on it, can you tell me where in the RAVE I would find this info?

Also just to clarify, once I locate the right colors, is there a "ground" I have to hook up separately?...wasn't clear on your instructions there.

Thanks, Ian

·
Premium Member
1,855 Posts
The plug you need is the green 12-cavity plug (- only 11 cavities are used though).
The two wires you need are:
cavity 5 = Yellow/Black
cavity 6 = Yellow
Cavities 5 and 6 are at opposite corners on the plug.

For seat recline up:
cavity 5 = Yellow/Black connect-to 0V
cavity 6 = Yellow connect-to 12V

For seat recline down:
cavity 5 = Yellow/Black connect-to 12V
cavity 6 = Yellow connect-to 0V

No other earth/ground is needed - just drive the motor directly.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thanks for the pin port number and wire colors, I have everything set up, I have my portable \battery jumper I have paper clips inserted into the ports and nothing will happen. Is there something I need to do, does the positive or negative need to go to either one?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks rtoadhall & paul.adshead! The manual seat fix worked, and it looks like nothing was damaged. Now that its up, any further ideas as to what might be the culprit?

There looks to be a main seat control module under the seat that all harness's plug into (do these go bad in this manner, i.e. one thing shorts) A mention to the BECM was made in a previous post?

I broke a few small plastic parts while removing the seat switch panel, wondering if anyone knows part #'s

(2) push plugs that covers screws on seat switch panel ('02 Walnut interior)

(1) black push clip that holds the rod that runs along the front of the seat and attaches to the seat switch panel

Thanks again for the help, I am at least back on the road at this point

1 - 14 of 14 Posts