RangeRovers.net Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1995-2002 Range Rover P38A
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

My drivers door handle has broken so need to swap the lock over to a new handle. Has anyone got a guide to how to do this with tips etc or special tools required?

Tried search but I cant find what I am looking for

Thanks

Barry

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
If you get the door cam kit:
STC3063 or STC3064 (I can't remember which one is the RH door - I think STC3064) and a spare door handle (it can be a passenger one) then you can remove the old cam/lever from the broken handle, and then use the actual pull handle from another one and then reattach that to the half with the lock in it with the new cam kit.

I've done it a couple of times now where the handle is actually broken off. I think there is a thread on here 'The definitive fix for sticky door handles' or something like that which has pictures of changing the cam... you'd basically do that, but put a new handle in aswell.

If you do have to remove the lock barrel for any reason (I haven't had to do it before though) I think there are a couple of roll pins that would need to be removed/drilled out to release the lock barrel.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi,

Could I just connect the secondhand handle and key I bought to get me away for the short term? Would mean different keys for door and ignition

·
SUPER MODERATOR
27,719 Posts
You would have no alarm control and two keys is simply a PITA. Do the job correctly to maintain all operations, alarm function etc. Doing a hack job and bodging parts in place is just three times the labour over doing the job right the first time.

·
LEGACY VENDOR
4,159 Posts
Hi,

Could I just connect the secondhand handle and key I bought to get me away for the short term? Would mean different keys for door and ignition

You could do that yes, in the short term... It would get pretty boring pretty quickly having to use 2 keys! But if you did that as an interim solution whilst one of the cam kits arrives, then it would at least sort the issue of the broken handle.

You could also replace the lock barrel from your old handle into the new one - but in my opinion the door cam kit, and swapping the physical handle over is easier. It also has the up-side that the door handle will retract fully again! As a lot of older handles have wear in the plastic cam and it stops the handle from fully retracting without any 'help'

If you aren't comfortable with removing the old cam and fitting a new one with a new handle, then I'm happy to do it for you at some point. I'm away working at the moment, but back in January. You could in theory send me both door handles and I can swap them - or if it's easier, send me the broken one and I can fix it with a spare handle (I should have some kicking about). If you put the replacement handle on in the short term, then you can use the vehicle whilst I repair the original. If you don't want the second one once the original is repaired, then I'll be happy to take it, and it can go in the spares pile for the next time I need one.

The cam kits are about £5 from memory, so a pretty cheap fix if you are happy to work on it - especially as you have a spare handle handy already

1 - 5 of 5 Posts